Thread: Any advice on what this might be? (pic included - nose redness/large pores)

Question Any advice on what this might be? (pic included - nose redness/large pores)

First of all, let me start by saying it's fantastic that this forum even exists. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone and that there are a lot of good people out there willing to talk others through it and offer advice. So, thank you

Ok, I'll start with a short history. First, I'm male. When I was early teens I started getting a lot of spots, particularly on my forehead, but also around my nose and chin. In addition to this, I've always had quite bad sinuses & allergies so I was always rubbing my nose, touching it, etc. At about 13, I remember getting a very bad under the skin spot on my nose which was very red. I tried using a cover up stick (think it was Clearasil - doh!) and visually it made me a lot more comforting - from then on I was hooked on using cover up on my spots. I also started using moisturiser on my skin - unfortunately I didn't really know what I was doing and used E45 for a few years. I realise now that this was probably way too heavy and chemically. Anyway, when I eventually went to my doctor about my spots when I was about 16, I was given doxycycline. This always worked wonders in clearing up the spots after a month or two's dosage, but they usually started getting quite bad again when winter came around, so I ended up taking then every winter for about 3 years.

Fast forward and I am now 28. My spots on my forehead have pretty much all gone, and my chin isn't too bad either. What is bad is my nose, as you can see in the pic below. I don't experience flushes or pain, my nose just constantly looks very red and has large pores, so it's really just a visual thing and one that severely knocks my confidence. I pretty much avoid photographs all the time where possible. Unfortunately I still use cover up (Witch stick) - I realise this probably isn't helping but to be honest there is no way I could go outside without it on my nose. I wash my face with Nivea sensitive face wash and use Nivea sensitive moisturiser as well - aside from the redness around my nose and right side of my face I don't tend to get many spots.

One doctor I've seen said it was rosacea and gave me Rosex cream, which didn't seem to make any difference. The second doctor I saw said it wasn't Rosacea and thought it was just some form of acne and gave me Erythoped. This didn't seem to make any difference either. I'm probably going to ask her to refer me to a dermatologist next and hopefully get some help, but thought I would join here and get some feedback since you all seem lovely

I appreciate that my condition might be quite mild by comparison to others - I am thankful it is not painful or burny, but I just wish for a day when I could be a lot less paranoid about my face appearance (even with cover stick it's still very noticable - also my nose tends to sweat a bit).

Thank you so much in advance for any advice you may have.

Pic:

DSCN1962.jpg

Edit: I should add that this is constant. I don't get flares or reactions to anything. It's more or less constantly looks like it does in the pic. I can post more pics (perhaps side on) if needed. Thank you again.
    Last edited by jimbur; 12th January 2013 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbur View Post
    First of all, let me start by saying it's fantastic that this forum even exists. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone and that there are a lot of good people out there willing to talk others through it and offer advice. So, thank you

Ok, I'll start with a short history. First, I'm male. When I was early teens I started getting a lot of spots, particularly on my forehead, but also around my nose and chin. In addition to this, I've always had quite bad sinuses & allergies so I was always rubbing my nose, touching it, etc. At about 13, I remember getting a very bad under the skin spot on my nose which was very red. I tried using a cover up stick (think it was Clearasil - doh!) and visually it made me a lot more comforting - from then on I was hooked on using cover up on my spots. I also started using moisturiser on my skin - unfortunately I didn't really know what I was doing and used E45 for a few years. I realise now that this was probably way too heavy and chemically. Anyway, when I eventually went to my doctor about my spots when I was about 16, I was given doxycycline. This always worked wonders in clearing up the spots after a month or two's dosage, but they usually started getting quite bad again when winter came around, so I ended up taking then every winter for about 3 years.

Fast forward and I am now 28. My spots on my forehead have pretty much all gone, and my chin isn't too bad either. What is bad is my nose, as you can see in the pic below. I don't experience flushes or pain, my nose just constantly looks very red and has large pores, so it's really just a visual thing and one that severely knocks my confidence. I pretty much avoid photographs all the time where possible. Unfortunately I still use cover up (Witch stick) - I realise this probably isn't helping but to be honest there is no way I could go outside without it on my nose. I wash my face with Nivea sensitive face wash and use Nivea sensitive moisturiser as well - aside from the redness around my nose and right side of my face I don't tend to get many spots.

One doctor I've seen said it was rosacea and gave me Rosex cream, which didn't seem to make any difference. The second doctor I saw said it wasn't Rosacea and thought it was just some form of acne and gave me Erythoped. This didn't seem to make any difference either. I'm probably going to ask her to refer me to a dermatologist next and hopefully get some help, but thought I would join here and get some feedback since you all seem lovely

I appreciate that my condition might be quite mild by comparison to others - I am thankful it is not painful or burny, but I just wish for a day when I could be a lot less paranoid about my face appearance (even with cover stick it's still very noticable - also my nose tends to sweat a bit).

Thank you so much in advance for any advice you may have.

Pic:

DSCN1962.jpg

Edit: I should add that this is constant. I don't get flares or reactions to anything. It's more or less constantly looks like it does in the pic. I can post more pics (perhaps side on) if needed. Thank you again.
    Welcome to the forum. A few questions - are the spots on your nose raised or flat? Do they come and go or always remain? Do they turn into acne-like pimples?

Thanks for replying. They're flat (I consider them more 'marks' than spots). They're pretty much there all the time and don't turn into pimples.

I do get some spots around the sides of my nose (you can see the redness of some recent under the skins ones to the side of the nose) but I always put that down to me rubbing my nose so much (though I don't do it so much these days since I found some good ways of treating my sinusitis).

Be brave and try going a few days without applying anything occlusive that is going to sit on the surface of your skin - cover up sticks.

We always tend to see our own imperfections as being much worse than they are and the way others see them. Less mirror is part of the answer.

Default What is your diet like?

What does your diet consist of?

Have you switched that up?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbur View Post
    Thanks for replying. They're flat (I consider them more 'marks' than spots). They're pretty much there all the time and don't turn into pimples.

I do get some spots around the sides of my nose (you can see the redness of some recent under the skins ones to the side of the nose) but I always put that down to me rubbing my nose so much (though I don't do it so much these days since I found some good ways of treating my sinusitis).
    Interesting, I wonder if the red dots on your nose are broken blood vessels. I've got a couple good sized red marks on my forehead that never go away. I asked my doc about them and he said they are broken blood vessels.

Thanks all for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by johnabetts View Post
    Be brave and try going a few days without applying anything occlusive that is going to sit on the surface of your skin - cover up sticks.

We always tend to see our own imperfections as being much worse than they are and the way others see them. Less mirror is part of the answer.
    I'm not sure I could. I'm doing my best to use less - maybe I should use something lighter. I'll research this. Hopefully if I get an appointment with a dermatologist, they could recommend something.

Quote Originally Posted by solutionquest View Post
    What does your diet consist of?

Have you switched that up?
    I haven't really tried switching it up because the redness is consistent, rather than something that gets better and worse in a short space of time. My diet isn't too bad in my opinion - pretty balanced meals, a couple of snacks a day tops, although I do drink a lot of tea with milk. But as I say, since this has been gradually getting worse since teenage days, I'm not sure if it's a diet thing as it's never changed based on diet/exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by flying_er View Post
    Interesting, I wonder if the red dots on your nose are broken blood vessels. I've got a couple good sized red marks on my forehead that never go away. I asked my doc about them and he said they are broken blood vessels.
    If they were, is there any way to reduce the redness?
    Last edited by jimbur; 15th January 2013 at 10:35 PM.