Thread: What to use for washing the face in SE?

Default What to use for washing the face in SE?

I'm confused.I thought that oily skin was bad and that this also makes SE worse.
    I also read that SE should be treated with creams which do not contain fat.
    But others recommend applying oil (coconut oil etc) on the SE. I also tried coconut oil and it didn't help me.

So far I have been washing my face with ordinary soap and with ketoconazole shampoo whenever I wash my hair.

Is ordinary soap okay or what exactly do I need?

Scroll down to treatment in this post.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Thanks.

I wonder some people say that putting different oils in their face helps them.
    But if seborrhea plays a role in this then shouldn't one try to remove as much oil as possible?

And should one use soap which is acidic and has a higher ph level than normal soaps? there are soaps which have 5,5 while normal ones have 7.

Quote Originally Posted by dunzz View Post
    And should one use soap which is acidic and has a higher ph level than normal soaps? there are soaps which have 5,5 while normal ones have 7.
    A technical point here. Soap is invariably alkaline and thus has a pH above 7 - real soap cannot have an acidic reaction. Syndet bars which look like soap but which are made from synthetic detergents are the ones with the lower pH.

Syndet bars are very difficult to formulate so that they don't go slushy when left in the soapdish.

The most successful syndet bar is Dove from Unilever. I worked for Unilever at the time the original Dove bar was being developed and had a (very) small input into it.

Thanks for the info. Do you know seba med bars? They are also supposed to be good. But I really don't think that this makes much difference when you have SE.
    I mean the SE comes from within the skin. I don't know if you can control it by washing your skin all the time.

Sebamed bars are very good and soap-free (Dove does contain a minor portion of soap).

As with most products, if it suits you and you consider it good value, then it is worth using.

As for seborrhoeic eczema, it is, as you say, an external manifestation of an internal condition and, as such, would benefit most from systemic treatment. You really do need professional help to control it.

Too much washing or other cleansing may make the oiliness worse. Which makes a suggestion to me of gently wiping excess oil away from your skin using a soft tissue and cutting down on the amount of washing with soap/detergent products. You may well find that the sebaceous glands respond by cutting down their secretions when they don't have the stimulation (micro-irritation?) of washing. Only a thought. Ensure you don't overdo the non-washing, you have to remain clean!!

This user has been banned from this forum

Quote Originally Posted by dunzz View Post
    I'm confused.I thought that oily skin was bad and that this also makes SE worse.
    I also read that SE should be treated with creams which do not contain fat.
    But others recommend applying oil (coconut oil etc) on the SE. I also tried coconut oil and it didn't help me.

So far I have been washing my face with ordinary soap and with ketoconazole shampoo whenever I wash my hair.

Is ordinary soap okay or what exactly do I need?
    You need some good herbal oil to get rid of this problem. Argan oil is the best available solution because of its effectiveness in treating the any type of skin as well as hair problem. You will find plenty of information regarding this oil if you research over the internet. Just apply this oil on your skin and hair and you will get rid of your problem. Lots of people get benefitted by this argan oil.

I also had very oily skin and no matter what I used, nothing helped. So I stopped using products and only used water to rinse my face. Took a while getting used to but helped dramatically. Less oil production and much less break outs.

Washing your face strips away your natural oils, and basically you're just spreading all the bacteria all around your face. Stop using products and see if that works for you.

Default Face wash

Several web medical pages say despite the name, oily skin is not the cause of SD. Coconut oil in very small amounts helps to loosen the flakes so they can be washed or exfoliated, yet protect the remaining skin.

For me too, water is fine, followed by gentle abrasion with a clean cotton cloth. If I feel more cleansing needed, honey mixed with water relieves oiliness if left on for a minute like a quick mask then rinsed.