Thread: Anyone have similar rosacea?

Default Anyone have similar rosacea?

I've had this sunburn-like area over my nose and cheeks for 4 years but every year it gets more red and i'm getting paranoid just thinking what it will be in 2-3 more years.

My current routine is I use a Cetaphil cleanser in the morning, and also a Cetaphil moisturizer at morning and night. I started using Tea Tree Oil on my face occasionally in case it's a demodex problem.

I'm debating getting some tinted moisturizer to cover some of the redness, although I know it will just clog my enlarged pores and make my skin worse, but i'm running out of ideas.

I have an appointment with a good dermatologist but it's not for another 4 months. Until then I have to be my own doctor about this condition.

Does anyone have rosacea similar to mine? If so i'd like to know if anything helped for your skin. I've avoided sun almost entirely this year but I think it just did me worse. I'm so pale I look like Nosferatu.

rosacea.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
    I've had this sunburn-like area over my nose and cheeks for 4 years but every year it gets more red and i'm getting paranoid just thinking what it will be in 2-3 more years.

I'm debating getting some tinted moisturizer to cover some of the redness, although I know it will just clog my enlarged pores and make my skin worse, but i'm running out of ideas.
    That could have come from me word for word. Although I also have acne, especially now during winter. I tried to take some pics but the camera is so bad that depending on the lighting you don't notice anything wrong with me skin or it looks fiery red.

Sunlight (real or artificial) helps with the acne and a bit of tan makes the redness less noticeable, but possibly worsens Rosacea itself.

Unfortunately I don't have any solution for you. If you do try the tinted moisturizer let us know how it worked out please.

Yeah, actually my rosacea is very similar. I have it on my cheeks(flushing and permanent redness) and nose (mostly just redness). The flushing in the winter is awful. Indoor heating causes my cheeks to burn and flush uncontrollably. I have been able to use IPL's to keep it in check in the past (have had 4 in about a 3-4 year span), but they generally run at least $200 per session.

I have noticed that mine improves dramatically with diet. If I cut down on carbs, dairy, sugar, alcohol and caffeine it is almost unnoticeable after about a week. Then I get cocky and start eating like **** and drinking heavily and I look like a bag of assholes again.

Check your diet- Green veggies and lean protein improve the way I feel and my skin. If you drink try to at least cut down - when I was averaging 8-12 beers a day my cheeks were always red and my face was horribly swollen. Avoid triggers like heat and caffeine.

I have a similar presentation, though you don't mention that you experience any pain or burning sensations?

I agree with LaserThemOff--think about changing your diet to a low-carb/paleo anti-inflammatory diet.

Once you get permanently dilated vessels and the redness never goes or you have telangiectasia, about the only good way to get rid of that is to get laser/IPL.

I'd highly recommend anyone with this symptom presentation/subtype also consider using low-level red light therapy. It's been a fantastic help in suppressing and controlling my redness, flushing, and pain/burning.

Best,

David
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Default Antibiotics + Diet

Quote Originally Posted by LaserThemOff View Post
    Yeah, actually my rosacea is very similar. I have it on my cheeks(flushing and permanent redness) and nose (mostly just redness). The flushing in the winter is awful. Indoor heating causes my cheeks to burn and flush uncontrollably. I have been able to use IPL's to keep it in check in the past (have had 4 in about a 3-4 year span), but they generally run at least $200 per session.

I have noticed that mine improves dramatically with diet. If I cut down on carbs, dairy, sugar, alcohol and caffeine it is almost unnoticeable after about a week. Then I get cocky and start eating like **** and drinking heavily and I look like a bag of assholes again.

Check your diet- Green veggies and lean protein improve the way I feel and my skin. If you drink try to at least cut down - when I was averaging 8-12 beers a day my cheeks were always red and my face was horribly swollen. Avoid triggers like heat and caffeine.
    LaserThemOff:

I've been able to control my flare-ups following a somewhat strict version of Paleo (no dairy, soy, grains, legumes, sugar), for about 6 months now. But I also take doxy (combo of immediate and delayed release, 150-200mg a day). Just curious, do you still take an antibiotic? Or does diet alone give you dramatic results? I've been wanting to come off the doxy and continue the diet but am honestly terrified.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by LaserThemOff View Post
    I could have written this myself. It's so hard to be a total saint food wise all the time