Thread: Plotting my next move.....???

Default Plotting my next move.....???

Hello, I'm Shaun from the UK. I have posted a couple of questions on here before and have had some success from it, however I am in need of more support. I am 21 and have Vascular Rosacea and Seborhheic Dermatitis that I have had both of for the best part of a decade easily. I have seen a dermatologist about both however his recomendations don't seem to be helping at all. I wake up every day with often hot, red cheeks and they tend to fade slightly as they cool down when moving about, however they are still red and only get redder when I randomly flush, usually in a hot room and in certian social situations as is common. Someone on this forum very helpfully suggested using a green tinted primer and tinted moisturizer together to mask it somewhat, which has greatly improved my confidence, however, lately I have had a few comments from people noticing the green coming through when I flush and it tends not to improve as the moisturizer then dries out from the heat and it looks crap, and now i'm stuck again. I have become reliant on using this cover up every day as well as taking Tetralysal every day although I am not convinced this is doing anything for me personally. I have started to look at my diet and am thinking could be partly to blame.

Every morning I drink a glass of Orange Juice and have a bowl of cereal. For lunch I always have bread, butter and meat, sometimes egg, small amount of chocolate and a banana. For dinner my meals are varied but do contain pasta, eggs, chips, vegetables, the usual stuff really.

I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what my next move should be? Nothing would please me more than to have control over my flushing and the appearance of my cheeks so that I can start to do a few more normal things next year. I really can't take much more of it. I am very strong minded and have yet to suffer from depression, but am concerned that this could ruin my life if I don't try everything possible to control it a more. I have looked into the laser light based therapy, but am seeing mixed reviews, the same with ETS. ******* seems tempting but my Deramtologist laughed.

Appreciate your responses, Thanks Shaun

Default tips and trick

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    Hello, I'm Shaun from the UK. I have posted a couple of questions on here before and have had some success from it, however I am in need of more support. I am 21 and have Vascular Rosacea and Seborhheic Dermatitis that I have had both of for the best part of a decade easily. I have seen a dermatologist about both however his recomendations don't seem to be helping at all. I wake up every day with often hot, red cheeks and they tend to fade slightly as they cool down when moving about, however they are still red and only get redder when I randomly flush, usually in a hot room and in certian social situations as is common. Someone on this forum very helpfully suggested using a green tinted primer and tinted moisturizer together to mask it somewhat, which has greatly improved my confidence, however, lately I have had a few comments from people noticing the green coming through when I flush and it tends not to improve as the moisturizer then dries out from the heat and it looks crap, and now i'm stuck again. I have become reliant on using this cover up every day as well as taking Tetralysal every day although I am not convinced this is doing anything for me personally. I have started to look at my diet and am thinking could be partly to blame.

Every morning I drink a glass of Orange Juice and have a bowl of cereal. For lunch I always have bread, butter and meat, sometimes egg, small amount of chocolate and a banana. For dinner my meals are varied but do contain pasta, eggs, chips, vegetables, the usual stuff really.

I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what my next move should be? Nothing would please me more than to have control over my flushing and the appearance of my cheeks so that I can start to do a few more normal things next year. I really can't take much more of it. I am very strong minded and have yet to suffer from depression, but am concerned that this could ruin my life if I don't try everything possible to control it a more. I have looked into the laser light based therapy, but am seeing mixed reviews, the same with ETS. ******* seems tempting but my Deramtologist laughed.

Hi Shaun,

just my opinion.

Looking at what you eat i would say that there is nothing much wrong with what you eat, although it seems a bit limited in variety but so was mine.

i will say though that i do think you are eating thme foods in the wrong order for your complaint.
    if you have acid or fatty food it will create more sebum and hence more dermatits and redness if eaten outside of the house where in winter it is colder,
    because when your skin is cold it does not sweat as in normal folks.

I would try to eat no acid food or fatty food until the evening when i was in the home after i had got warmed through. By doing it this way it will minimise further damage to your skin.
    cure

Seeing your diet, I'd limit the carbs intake.
    Carbs and sugar are fuel for rosacea. Many people here find a lot of success by reducing them.
    I would skip the pastas, bread, and the starches for some weeks to see how it goes. You can up your fats intake (coconut oil is very good) to limit the energy loss. This is not bad for your health at all, and won't cause you any troubles.
    So, for your breakfast, maybe choose oat bran (very nutritious) instead of the cereal bowl, no fruit juice as it contains a lot of sugar (fructose or even other added sugar if it is canned juice), milk is ok (do contain lactose though).
    The large meals will look like this : meat/fish, vegetables (all of them, large quantities), added fats (coconut oil, olive oil, butter is fine). I also eat cheese, but ripe only, because it is low in lactose, fresh ones are too high.
    Stop eating fruits for the moment too, though one banana a day is not too much...But in my case, even one fruit was too much, I had to wait some months before eating them safely. And even now, I feel better if I don't.

You need to follow this during some weeks. It saved my life, even if I'm certainly not cured, but I can at least control this beast. Carbs are the worst for me. They are just killing my intestines and causing massive flushes in my face, nose, chest. I suspect SIBO in my case, but can't find a doctor who can finally make this stupid test. I have IBS too.

Don't say this diet is too hard. I do this for years now, and it only needs some discipline. When you will see the benefits, I'm sure you will be happy.

Fermented foods are also great, as they are low in sugar and are very healthy. Plain yogurt, kefir (homemade only), kombucha, etc.

Try it! I'm sure Brady Barrows can tell you more about the low carb diet, and will probably comment on this post.

Very much appreciated guys, I will look into this in the morning. Many Thanks

Sharky,

Definitely work on your diet and try to limit your carbs.

After getting advice from this forum, i started taking Propranolol recently which has drastically improved my flushing/burning. I am only on a low dose, so i am stoked it has had an effect. You may be a little too young and may not experience burning so maybe it may not be for you, but i know it has helped me.

Other than that, make changes to your diet.

wtt

I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what my next move should be?
    - - - - but my Deramtologist laughed.

The first thing I would do is change dermatologist.

Some medics seem totally unable to appreciate the psychological effect of skin diseases, never mind the physical aspects. I sometimes wonder how these people qualify to practice medicine.

You can do much better than this!
    Last edited by johnabetts; 30th November 2012 at 07:58 AM.

Cheers, I am unsure whether I feel burning, I guess I do when I get really hot. I will look army carb intake for sure. And yes, I may well consider changing derm, I don't think he fully understands this condition, he has never mentioned my diet. This forum has been so much more helpful to me.

Definitely reduce the carbs (i.e. bread, sugar, chocolate, pasta etc). Also, I would definitely investigate propranolol or clonidine, together with mirtazapine, if one of the first two doesn't work alone. Light based treatments make doctors a lot of money, but the medicines are far less likely to upset your rosacea and actually do some good for your rosacea. They are also cheaper.