Thread: Vitamin A deficiency from Vitamin D overdose?

Default Vitamin A deficiency from Vitamin D overdose?

Hello

For the last 5 years I maybe had 50 hours of sunlight per year. Then I read about Vitamin D and all the positive effects it can have. So I started taking 10'000! units vitamin D per day (sometimes 15'000). Never actually had my D-Levels checked (expensive!!!). I just assumed they were probably low or non existing. I was able to take it for 30 days at this dose. I saw a big improvement on the acne on the back of my scalp and I think even my teeth improved. I had to drop the dose to 5000 IU/day after that because my whole head started to itch (listed as a side effect of D-overdose). Never knew for sure if it was the Vitamin D since i have extremely oily skin (and scalp) which today is still itching often.

Since dropping the dose the itching subsided (not completely). Dermatologist put me on low dose accutane (20 mg/day) for mild persistent acne (I asked him to). That didn't go well. Had to drop it after 20 days because I developed something like "rosacea-ears" which have been flushing for 3 hours every evening, ever since. http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...-From-Accutane

I also read somewhere that Vitamin D interacts with Vitamin A (accutane's stepbrother :-) ). Did I do something wrong by not supplementing with vitamin A or beta carotene in addition to vitamin D? It's been 7 weeks since I'm off accutane. Can I now safely take beta carotene (25'000 IU pills)?

Vitamin tests are very expensive where I live and I can't afford them since my health insurance doesn't cover them.

Thank you.

Nick

Hi

I already found something while doing research on this topic.

Citation from a blog i found:

"The articles cited above show that vitamins A and D work synergistically, not antagonistically; if you take large amounts of vitamin A without vitamin D, you are likely to develop symptoms of vitamin D deficiency. Likewise, if you take large amounts of vitamin D without vitamin A, you are likely to develop symptoms of vitamin A deficiency."

I'm trying to up my beta carotene dose to get more vitamin A. I heard some people can't convert beta carotene to vitamin A. Is there any way or indication to tell if my body is able to convert it?

thanks.