Thread: Diagnosing Rhinophyma without rosacea symptoms

Default Diagnosing Rhinophyma without rosacea symptoms

Hi all,

Just found this forum and love the support all the members give. A little background: I'm a 22 year old male who have always had acne problems on my nose, including cystic pimples that lasted for over a week.

Currently, I have persistent bumps on my nose and a ton of tiny black dots on my nose. I'm not sure if these black dots are hairs or blackheads, I've been told both from different derms. Two doctors have mentioned rhinophyma to me and how I could be at the early stages, yet when i asked specifically about rosacea to one, they said they didn't think I had rosacea (I thought they were the same thing?). Anyways, I've consistently been prescribed Tazorac although I'm not sure if that's what is really the best way to treat Rhinophyma. I've actually watched as lesions developed while I was using Tazorac.

I recently moved to Boston and my new derm also doesn't think it's Rosacea, but is it possible the derm is wrong if there are no other rosacea symptoms? Or could the thickening of the skin/lesions be caused from something else? I found this pic on the internet, but this is a little bit of what the black dots/thickening of my nose skin looks like. It looks like there's a layer of sebum or something that is growing over the normal skin on the nose.

3848724648_fa58c37528_o.jpg

Thanks for your help in advance!

Hello:
    Derms can be wrong, unfortunately. You can have phymatous symptoms without other signs of rosacea. I would research low dose accutane and probably try taking an over the counter antihistamine to see if it helps the swelling.
    Regards
    Queta
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

This user has been banned from this forum

Default zero33

Hi zero33,

Well, you are lucky you found it at such a young age. I discovered this on me and I'm 35 - didn't even notice it - thought I was just getting fat - till I got in shape down to 10% body fat and my nose didn't get smaller.

Phil Oregon has found an effective treatment better than surgery or that CO2 laser **** - google "salycilic acid i got my nose back" if you ask me it's like the derm's are not exactly the brightest minds in the medical profession.

Salycilic acid 20% chemical peel is the only treatment that I found effective (and cheapest) - since I'm 35 and this has been happening since puberty I've done about 30-50 peels on my nose over the last 3 months reversing the damn growth. I know it's drastic but it's cheap. There is no point opting for surgery or lasers because this is a condition for life.

Avoid putting acid down the center top line of the nose refer to this. Use the acid to burn it down from the sides (narrow the tip) to make a aesthetically pleasing nose (triangles). Get Jojoba oil and sunblock for post peel moistening and switch to Jojoba oil as your primary moisturizer for your face. You can put a little on the top till the nose is straight but work the sides first.

Also get a blackhead remover and drain your pores at least once a week.

Put your nose in a glass of warm/hot water for 10 mins then use the blackhead remover on the whiteheads.

You will also have to get some cover up make-up if you plan to be in public while doing the peels.

Pre-peel instructions - 1st peel

1) Put your nose in a glass of warm/hot water for 10 mins then use the blackhead remover on the whiteheads.
    2) Get alcohol wipes and remove the sebum from the tool and nose after each extraction
    3) Wash with an anti-oil soap
    4) use oil - absorbing sheets to drain any remaining oil on nose
    5) apply chemical peel (go slow the first time but layer it on as your do more peels) - you will have to take the skin off 1/10th of a millimeter at a time.

Go to the doctor and get regular check ups for any kind skin cancer and watch for it yourself.

Avoid smoking at all costs. Minimize drinking and sweating. Testosterone is the primary cause of this (overactive sebaceous glands) and if you like to do a ton of squats and deadlifts like I do well you are going to have to have to develop a strict maintenance program for removing the oil your nose.

I'm sorry but you will be stuck with this for life.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CopyKat View Post
    Hi zero33,

Well, you are lucky you found it at such a young age. I discovered this on me and I'm 35 - didn't even notice it - thought I was just getting fat - till I got in shape down to 10% body fat and my nose didn't get smaller.

Phil Oregon has found an effective treatment better than surgery or that CO2 laser **** - google "salycilic acid i got my nose back" if you ask me it's like the derm's are not exactly the brightest minds in the medical profession.

Salycilic acid 20% chemical peel is the only treatment that I found effective (and cheapest) - since I'm 35 and this has been happening since puberty I've done about 30-50 peels on my nose over the last 3 months reversing the damn growth. I know it's drastic but it's cheap. There is no point opting for surgery or lasers because this is a condition for life.

Avoid putting acid down the center top line of the nose refer to this. Use the acid to burn it down from the sides (narrow the tip) to make a aesthetically pleasing nose (triangles). Get Jojoba oil and sunblock for post peel moistening and switch to Jojoba oil as your primary moisturizer for your face. You can put a little on the top till the nose is straight but work the sides first.

Also get a blackhead remover and drain your pores at least once a week.

Put your nose in a glass of warm/hot water for 10 mins then use the blackhead remover on the whiteheads.

You will also have to get some cover up make-up if you plan to be in public while doing the peels.

Pre-peel instructions - 1st peel

1) Put your nose in a glass of warm/hot water for 10 mins then use the blackhead remover on the whiteheads.
    2) Get alcohol wipes and remove the sebum from the tool and nose after each extraction
    3) Wash with an anti-oil soap
    4) use oil - absorbing sheets to drain any remaining oil on nose
    5) apply chemical peel (go slow the first time but layer it on as your do more peels) - you will have to take the skin off 1/10th of a millimeter at a time.

Go to the doctor and get regular check ups for any kind skin cancer and watch for it yourself.

Avoid smoking at all costs. Minimize drinking and sweating. Testosterone is the primary cause of this (overactive sebaceous glands) and if you like to do a ton of squats and deadlifts like I do well you are going to have to have to develop a strict maintenance program for removing the oil your nose.

I'm sorry but you will be stuck with this for life.

Good luck!

This is the post on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R1FSL37..._res_rtr_alt_6

There are over 300 reviews for this product on Amazon and you can search the reviews. A couple have tried it with Rosacea with surprisingly good results. After rederching it properly it looks like an option for Rhinophyma.