Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 years old and Rosacea?

Unhappy 16 years old and Rosacea?

Hello there! My name is Kat, I'm a 16 yr old girl from central Canada.

I've recently been researching the living daylights out of rosacea, and any possible products/natural ways that I can reduce my symptoms or even rid myself of it entirely.

My rosacea became quite apparent when I was around fifteen or so, and this could be due to my very bad anxiety disorder. I've noticed that in the beginning of freshman year, my skin looked quite clear and even. Then again, I was not dealing with high anxiety levels... So I don't know if that would make a difference or not.

I went to my doctor about a month ago and asked him about it. He prescribed me Metrogel and also put me on doxycycline (which is AMAZING for my acne! Redness not so much. :[ ) Upon the first application of Metrogel, it seemed awesome. My redness had completely gone down and looked normal. I continued using this on a regular basis for about 3 weeks, and noticed that it had started irritating my skin and giving me FREQUENT daily flushing of the skin, which I had never had before. The redness is only on the inside of my cheeks (stops at the cheekbones), on half of my nose (vertically), none on my forehead and none on my chin. I have very tiny spider veins in the crevice on one side of my nose, which is not noticeable at all (thank goodness!)

I quit the Metrogel and stuck with the doxy. I've recently heard about oxymetazoline 0.05% helping with rosacea, and am currently using it in the form of Claritin's nasal pump. It works pretty good! Also, I noticed that when you apply it to the redness and drag it about, the normal pale skin underneath pops up for a while and stays for about 20 seconds, and then it's gone. I've also took the initiative of picking up some L-Lysine supplements for myself. I've looked up the symptoms of amino acid defiency... And let me tell you, I have a lot of them! Almost all. I've just recently started taking the Lysine (literally bought it yesterday) so I can't say as to whether it is helping or not. In regards to cleaning my skin, I've been using Neutrogena's Oil-Free Acne Stress control because it is specifically made to reduce redness. Though I do not use it for acne, because since starting the doxycycline I no longer break out. I've noticed that when I use a salicylic based scrub or cleanser (like the one mentioned above) in the shower, it totally reduces my redness. I don't know if this is because the hot water is opening your pores and therefore allowing it to cleanse deepers... But whenever I do this I step out of the shower without a beat red face. Weird.

When I am out in the sun I use Sunthera's 100 spf. This moisturises my skin and also takes away the redness. Any ways, to what I really wanted to talk about ---> I've been hearing great things about the benefits of using Selsun Blue on your face. I was curious as to whether anyone on here has tried it, and if so, how did it work out for you? There have been people talking about it like they're praising the lord, and claiming it has totally gotten rid of their redness..etc. Which makes me extremely sceptical. I really just want this redness to go away. It is causing me unhealthy obsession with my looks and what not. :/

Although... After having recently started the oxymetazoline, I've noticed that the inside of my cheeks (towards my nose) have started to turn a pale pink. It's coming in patches like this and very slowly. As of right now, I am having a flushing episode. After having quit the Metrogel, they only sometimes come in the evening. I think my triggers might be tomatoes, soup and dairy. But holy freaking frack, I hate Metrogel!!! Whenever I wake up, my skin is a pale red, when before it was not red but would gradually become red within a few hours. :`(

This is what my face looks like when it is semi-inflamed.DSC_0312.jpg *Click image for larger version* NOTE: the image is before I started using oxymetazoline and lysine.

It hurts to go to school and look at all the other kids faces and think "they're lucky. Their skin is normal." and having your family members comment when you start flushing due to heat.

For anyone wondering, my father is from England and has the same condition, while my mother is Russian and Austrian and has the broken blood vessels but not the redness.
    Last edited by KatW; 29th October 2012 at 11:57 PM.

It doesn't look bad imo. I see you have some redness but it's even on your face and looks like it may be pre-rosacea. Do you have oily or dry skin? It looks like your skins texture is pretty good.

I'd recommend not putting anything on your face and doing a paleo diet. A paleo diet is widely talked about on here as it is generally lower in carbs which has shown to help a lot of people. It should help calm down your inflammation and also build your knowledge about nutrition.

What to do topically varies so much case to case. I'd stay away from any prescription drugs personally, they've only caused problems down the line.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    It doesn't look bad imo. I see you have some redness but it's even on your face and looks like it may be pre-rosacea. Do you have oily or dry skin? It looks like your skins texture is pretty good.

I'd recommend not putting anything on your face and doing a paleo diet. A paleo diet is widely talked about on here as it is generally lower in carbs which has shown to help a lot of people. It should help calm down your inflammation and also build your knowledge about nutrition.

What to do topically varies so much case to case. I'd stay away from any prescription drugs personally, they've only caused problems down the line.
    Hi Johny, thanks for answering.

I have dry skin and have to moisturize at least 1-2 times a day to prevent my face from feeling tight or rough.

I'm not sure if this actually IS Rosacea, as it looks strikingly similar to a malar rash with the butterfly wings and all. If I had a full shot of my face you would be able to destinctively see it.

I regularely have purple nails and extremely cold extremities, but only have muscle aches once in a while. I've heard that heat urticaria is also a symptom of lupus, which is something I've been dealing with nonstop especially in the summer. It is only prominent on my upper chest (breast area).

I might ask my personal doctor if he can test me for lupus, because I know that a few years ago I had a blood test done which reavealed that I am anemic, so I am wondering if these are somehow connected in anyway. And if you don't mind me asking, what exactly is pre-rosacea? Is this treatable?

I would suggest not using the oxymetazoline on your face. A number of forum members tried this years ago, and they all got rebound flushing as it wore off, plus at least one said it gave him a permanent red mark on his face. You might want to read this thread:

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...occasional-use

The reaction they got is probably the same as this condition, just on the face instead of in the nose:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/14/health/14spra.html

Pharmaceutical companies are working on formulations of oxymetazoline and brimonidine that supposedly don't cause this rebound effect in clinical trials, but no one knows whether the drugs will be released to the market soon or ever.

The photo looks totally normal to me. Your cheek does look a little red, but I wouldn't have noticed it unless you pointed it out, and I don't think it looks bad. I recognise that people often don't post photos of their rosacea as its worst, though.

A few other points:

If I were you, I would probably cut down on the topicals (aside from a non-irritating moisturiser) and supplements and entirely avoid hot water and anything else that might be irritating your face (hot beverages might be another thing to watch out for if soup makes you flush), and then see if you get any improvement in the redness and flushing.

If your fingers turn purple, that might be Raynaud's Phenomenon, which is often associated with autoimmune conditions, so some blood tests might be worthwhile like you said. But it might not have anything to do with the redness or flushing.

I never recommend a specific diet, but eating one that is nutritionally complete with DHA from fish oil seems to help me with skin dryness.

I think the pyrithione zinc in anti-dandruff shampoos like Selsun Blue can help with seborrheic dermatitis and maybe the inflammatory lesion (papules and pustules) form of rosacea, which doesn't seem to be what you have here. In general, topicals don't help much with redness that isn't associated with inflammatory lesions since it's coming the vasculature deep in the skin. But if people are claiming that the shampoo helps with redness that isn't from lesions, maybe I'm wrong.

Good luck, and I hope you don't worry about it too much.
    Last edited by jrlhamcat2; 4th November 2012 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrlhamcat2 View Post
    I think the pyrithione zinc in anti-dandruff shampoos like Selsun Blue can help with seborrheic dermatitis and maybe the inflammatory lesion (papules and pustules) form of rosacea, which doesn't seem to be what you have here.
    Good luck, and I hope you don't worry about it too much.
    A pedantic point, perhaps, but Selsun Blue contains selenium sulphide as the active component, not pyrithione zinc. The latter in the active in Head & Shoulders.

Personally, I wouldn't put either product on my face and certainly not leave it on. There are numerous other ingredients in shampoos which could be irritating on prolonged contact with the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by johnabetts View Post
    A pedantic point, perhaps, but Selsun Blue contains selenium sulphide as the active component, not pyrithione zinc. The latter in the active in Head & Shoulders.

Personally, I wouldn't put either product on my face and certainly not leave it on. There are numerous other ingredients in shampoos which could be irritating on prolonged contact with the skin.
    Born to be Mild facial cleanser contains pyrithione zinc 2%.

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Born to be Mild facial cleanser contains pyrithione zinc 2%.

G
    That wasn't my point. It is the shampoo ingredients that I would be cautious about, specifically the detergents which can be irritating/de-fatting/drying to the skin.

Thanks, I must have misread something.

That wasn't my point. It is the shampoo ingredients that I would be cautious about, specifically the detergents which can be irritating/de-fatting/drying to the skin.
    Right... I was offering the cleanser as an alternative.

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

My reluctance to the idea of using H&S or Selsun Blue as leave-on products also extends to Born to be Mild Cleanser. The formulation is very similar to that of a shampoo thus:

Aqua (Water), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Polyquaternium-7, Acrylates/C 10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Allantoin, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben
    Sodium laureth sulfate is oft quoted as an ingredient to avoid in people with problem skin.