Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding it hard to accept this condition (SD)

Default Finding it hard to accept this condition (SD)

Hey all

So I've lived with Psoriasis all my life to varying degrees and just got on with it. I remember saying to a few people it doesn't bother and thank god my face is clear of it... well another twist and now I develop another chronic condition I learn. I got occasional plaques of red on my cheeks since my teen which came and went, I always thought it was psoriasis flare. Feb of this year the patch had been around a year and the Gp gave me metrogel. Big mistake and it triggered SD on my nose and to the other cheek. I'm now stuck with this crap all over my face. I have recently got over chronic pain for 3 years, got off all the crap meds given for the depression that caused anxiety and was finally getting my life together.

I know I shouldn't let it affect me so much but I can't accept that this is it. I now have to put up with red itchy sores on my face while the Doc's just look at me funny as if I'm over reacting. And to be honest and I'm sick of reading the net about it. The amount of misleading information and conflicting opinions is driving me nuts. The only advice I really take now is not to use steroids on my face, I obviously use steroids to control my Psoriasis on my body. Dermo gave me Protopic which works with 2 application and keeps it at a mild level for a week. Like everything else that works it will eventually stop. Then my option is to basically:

Try every cream, shampoo
    Stop drinking....
    Not eat anything I like
    Try crazy diets
    Continue to have to explain to every person why my face is red and inflamed.
    Sit here trying not to itch my face for as long as I live. (it didn't itch until I was given Metrogel, cheers GP)

Sorry I sound like a whiney little bugger but I'm actually sick of it all. Yeh there is worse things in the world but this is relative to me and it's really getting to me now. To think I was relieved when the GP said it wasn't psoriasis but SD. I can't believe they haven't come up with something for this.

Sorry for the rant.

A question though, how long is it safe to use this protopic? I've used it for nearly 4 months, 2 applications a week.

Strange, when I was in the mist of chronic pain I would of taken any other illness but this has really got to me, my damn face, the only clear bit of skin I had! haha

its rough man, i find the best way to cope, besides trying to find a good medicated solution, is to try to put meaning behind the condition you were given. For example, through all the pain and suffering it can make you a stronger person. I know its not what you want to hear and believe me i hate hearing it myself, but the courage you have to face every day is more admirable than the average joe would ever experience. I was recently diagnosed to so, im in the same boat, Good luck my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyt View Post
    its rough man, i find the best way to cope, besides trying to find a good medicated solution, is to try to put meaning behind the condition you were given. For example, through all the pain and suffering it can make you a stronger person. I know its not what you want to hear and believe me i hate hearing it myself, but the courage you have to face every day is more admirable than the average joe would ever experience. I was recently diagnosed to so, im in the same boat, Good luck my friend.
    Really like your post

Quote Originally Posted by thrbigcrust View Post

A question though, how long is it safe to use this protopic? I've used it for nearly 4 months, 2 applications a week.
    It depends on your skin condition and on the amount of protopic you apply on your face. Why don't you give honey method a try? I have some improvement with it.

This condition slowly breaks you down.Ive had SD for almost 9 years and I will never accept it or feel good about it.
    I will go so far and call SD a life threating disease, not physically but mentally.
    I think about it every hour of every day and the worst part is theres no good cure so just the thought of having this **** for the rest of my life is so depressing!
    I dont even go out anymore if I dont absolutely have to, I feel like a circusfreak or something.
    And when you find method that have some effect on SD and your spirit is up again it never takes long before the SD comes back.
    Sorry if I sound negative but that how I feel about my SD.

Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by 1982 View Post
    This condition slowly breaks you down.Ive had SD for almost 9 years and I will never accept it or feel good about it.
    I will go so far and call SD a life threating disease, not physically but mentally.
    I think about it every hour of every day and the worst part is theres no good cure so just the thought of having this **** for the rest of my life is so depressing!
    I dont even go out anymore if I dont absolutely have to, I feel like a circusfreak or something.
    And when you find method that have some effect on SD and your spirit is up again it never takes long before the SD comes back.
    Sorry if I sound negative but that how I feel about my SD.
    I understand how you feel. I have only suffered from it for 3 years, but SD took everything from me. Reacting frantically, to my unknown condition i developed panic disorder, claustrophobia, and agoraphobia. Prone to anxiety, suffering from OCD previously, it was not surprising. The fact that the SD was on my face drove me insane. Taking pride in my appearance i could not accept it. I lost a lot of confidence and a lot of friends, and not to brag, but i was pretty popular and social. I've been told it is only mild recently compared to other cases which is good news, but it is still difficult when someone points it out. I am trying to stay strong and feel accomplished rather than beating myself up. I'm looking to pursue a degree in psychology to help others, giving my experience meaning. I do believe there is no such thing as a lost cause. I do hope you and others feeling lost do not give up. I can really relate to you, i think about it all the time, and accepting its a chronic condition is tough. Do not apologize for being negative, its human nature to never stop trying to relieve pain. Your woes are justified. I spend my time practicing a language or an instrument if i cannot leave the house due to a bad flare up. I feel like if one can still accomplish things it really helps during a bad day. I participate in therapy and take Prozac for anxiety and, its anti-depressant properties probably lift my spirits as a bonus effect. Staying in good shape also helps with body image too. I don't know if any of my coping methods are useful to you, but i hope you know i will be pulling for you and this whole community. My prayers are with you all.

I have the same problem as you...and oddly enough it really started after metrogel that was prescribed from my doctor to help with acne....it's been about two years...

best thing I can say is why in the hell would I let a red rash on my face destroy my whole life when people battle through so many other big things...really in the overall general picture...people may at first react to the red on your face, but if you show confidence and have a lively spirit they soon forget about it....

personality is big.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyt View Post
    I understand how you feel. I have only suffered from it for 3 years, but SD took everything from me. Reacting frantically, to my unknown condition i developed panic disorder, claustrophobia, and agoraphobia. Prone to anxiety, suffering from OCD previously, it was not surprising. The fact that the SD was on my face drove me insane. Taking pride in my appearance i could not accept it. I lost a lot of confidence and a lot of friends, and not to brag, but i was pretty popular and social. I've been told it is only mild recently compared to other cases which is good news, but it is still difficult when someone points it out. I am trying to stay strong and feel accomplished rather than beating myself up. I'm looking to pursue a degree in psychology to help others, giving my experience meaning. I do believe there is no such thing as a lost cause. I do hope you and others feeling lost do not give up. I can really relate to you, i think about it all the time, and accepting its a chronic condition is tough. Do not apologize for being negative, its human nature to never stop trying to relieve pain. Your woes are justified. I spend my time practicing a language or an instrument if i cannot leave the house due to a bad flare up. I feel like if one can still accomplish things it really helps during a bad day. I participate in therapy and take Prozac for anxiety and, its anti-depressant properties probably lift my spirits as a bonus effect. Staying in good shape also helps with body image too. I don't know if any of my coping methods are useful to you, but i hope you know i will be pulling for you and this whole community. My prayers are with you all.
    Don't you have to go to work, vinnyt?

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Default Whole Spectrum

Dear Vinnyt and Ghost,

Google Whole Spectrum. They make a demodex face lotion that moisturizes and softens the skin. It is to be applied twice a day for a few months. The bottle of the product costs $50.00 but there appears to be enough to last more than a month (maybe two months). I got big results in 24 hours.

After a few months, you should be able to maintain your skin with regular use of a cold cream that contains boron ( I use Jergens). But first you have to eat a diet that makes your body more alkaline and boost your immune system and kill the mites. I am learning that some people are getting great results in less than a week with the dietary changes. I'm per-diabetic so my immune system change is slower but it is coming along.

Essential oils such as Tea Tree Oil, Neem and Seabuck Thorn are also great but I can't keep spending so much money. I think the Whole Spectrum product and Tea Tree Oil is going to meet my needs. I use the TT Oil on my scalp. I use the shampoo to wash my skin and eyelids. I use the essential oils or a diluted version of TT Oil on my eye lashes. (Get small amount of oil on fingers to coat eye lashes. I am told that the small amount of oil will seep to the skin. It seems to be working and I have not gotten any oil in my eyes.)

I don't think I am going to use any more of the Ivermectin as a topical treatment. I'm just to afraid of it. I'm happy to give away for free what I have with a provided address. I'll even pay for shipment. This Whole Spectrum product for demodex mites is a God send for me. Albeit, the Whole Spectrum lotion for Demodex is not to be used around the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Don't you have to go to work, vinnyt?

G
    ahah, im a college student freshmen not working this fall, and seb derm is usually not a problem in the summer.