Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Borax and Bitter Almond Lotion For SD

I'm pretty sure there's more to it than just a drying effect. Oxygen is a very powerful antimicrobial, especially when freshly generated as it is here.

Boron compounds in the form of borax, say, are also antimicrobial, insecticidal, acaricidal etc. and are still very widely used for preserving wood and other materials.

Oxygen and borax, then, should give a double whammy!

Quote Originally Posted by johnabetts View Post
    Borax and hydrogen peroxide together will form perborate which you may know as "oxygen bleach" used in washing powders. You may, or may not, want to put this on your skin. In small amounts, well diluted, it should be quite safe.
    Ah yes. My uncle was a chemist at Lever Brothers and he told me they named the 'per' in Persil after 'perborate'. I'll give the Borax/Hydrogen Peroxide combo a try in the bath, that should dilute it somewhat.

MYMP many thanks for bringing another Borax treatment to our attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    Ah yes. My uncle was a chemist at Lever Brothers and he told me they named the 'per' in Persil after 'perborate'. I'll give the Borax/Hydrogen Peroxide combo a try in the bath, that should dilute it somewhat.

MYMP many thanks for bringing another Borax treatment to our attention.
    You are very much welcome Sally Goodluck to all of us and please kindly update us on your Borax/Hp combi regimen .Tnx

Quote Originally Posted by MYMP View Post
    You are very much welcome Sally Goodluck to all of us and please kindly update us on your Borax/Hp combi regimen .Tnx
    Yes, I certainly will MYMP. Unfortunately, I grabbed a box of 'Borax' at my local store only to see, when I got home, that it's actually Borax substitute. Which is Sodium Sesquicarbonate. Goodness only knows what that is. I'll probably order some on line to make sure I get the right thing in future!

Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    Yes, I certainly will MYMP. Unfortunately, I grabbed a box of 'Borax' at my local store only to see, when I got home, that it's actually Borax substitute. Which is Sodium Sesquicarbonate. Goodness only knows what that is. I'll probably order some on line to make sure I get the right thing in future!
    Sally, I've never seen actual borax in the UK. Perhaps it's not allowed, even ordered.

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Borax is easily available in ebay. You should also be able to get it in hardware stores.

Sodium sesquicarbonate is not a substitute for our purposes but it is nice as a water softener in the bath (bath salts).

If you live in Europe, no use ordering Borax. They won't let it go through customs. I tried it.

Default Borax

Quote Originally Posted by johnabetts View Post
    Borax is easily available in ebay. You should also be able to get it in hardware stores.
    Thanks. I'll do my best to track some down on eBay. I have been to several hardware stores with no luck. I think it's something to do with EU regulations and toxicity. I can't get my fibre supplement anymore because of its so-called 'dodgy' herbs and I've been taking it for years.

I expect there's some overpaid bureaucrat in Brussels having palpitations at the thought of us Rosaceans sprinkling a concoction of Borax and Hydrogen Peroxide in the bath. They'll be banning Persil next!
    Last edited by Sally; 23rd October 2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: wrong spelling

Default Update

After a couple of weeks of sprinkling Borax and Hydrogen Peroxide in my bath and also applying it, with cotton wool, to any spots on my face, I can report that this mixture has worked extremely well. It has definitely helped clear up some weird lumps and red marks on my legs and there are no more spots (from over production of oil) around my nose.

I had just begun to tell my 23 year old daughter all about my new treatment when she suddenly recoiled in horror, hissing the words "free radical damage" and went on to explain that these are the pariahs of the beauty world as they cause premature ageing. Big sigh.

So all I can say is this... "You pays yer money and you takes yer choice". As I'm pleased with the result, especially on my legs which are pretty tough anyway, I guess I'll use this combo of borax and HP, as and when needed. Then I'll trot off and buy some nice anti-oxidant green tea and vitamins C and E to compensate!

Anyone else trying this??