Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Borax and Bitter Almond Lotion For SD

Default Borax and Bitter Almond Lotion For SD

Hello everyone!my first time to post here , but regular lurker got this severe SD on face for three years now . and found this lotion that keeps my sd on bay. main ingredients are bitter almond lotion and borax which i thought at first wasnt safe , checked it on net but to be honest opinions are quiet confusing but i chose to used it in the end out of desperation.Surprisingly,my face is 80% clear now for only one month use of this lotion.

Are you willing to reveal the name of this product?

Bitter almond oil consists almost entirely of benzaldehyde - which is closely related to an ingredient called Quadrinone. Quadrinone is 4-ethoxybenzaldehyde and you can find more detail from the search facility on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by johnabetts View Post
    Are you willing to reveal the name of this product?

Bitter almond oil consists almost entirely of benzaldehyde - which is closely related to an ingredient called Quadrinone. Quadrinone is 4-ethoxybenzaldehyde and you can find more detail from the search facility on the forum.
    Oh sure, Johnabetts,but i'm afraid you can avail it online only since its made in Turkey where i live at present.Anyway ,here it is,Bebak Acı Bedam sütü(milk lotion) there are other line of products you can choose from.And thanks for the added infos will check it out .cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by MYMP View Post
    Oh sure, Johnabetts,but i'm afraid you can avail it online only since its made in Turkey where i live at present.Anyway ,here it is,Bebak Acı Bedam sütü(milk lotion) there are other line of products you can choose from.And thanks for the added infos will check it out .cheers!
    Sorry, its Badem not Bedam

Oh!!

Can you give an English ingredient list?

The thing that concerns me is the concentration of the bitter almond oil. Benzaldehyde could be irritating (or worse) in high concentrations.

Does the product smell strongly of almonds? What I am thinking now is that it may be sweet almond oil - which is a completely different thing and which contains no benzaldehyde.

Oh!!

Can you give an English ingredient list?

The thing that concerns me is the concentration of the bitter almond oil. Benzaldehyde could be irritating (or worse) in high concentrations.

Does the product smell strongly of almonds? What I am thinking now is that it may be sweet almond oil - which is a completely different thing and which contains no benzaldehyde.
    Ok.here's the ingredient list:deionized water(aqua),white oil,beezwax,lanolin,glycerine,boraks,bitter almond extract,bitter almond oil,fragrance,and methyl paraben. Paraben and Fragrance is a big NO to my super duper sensitive , severere SD which is hormone and allergy related.But i took a chance because of few chemicals on it and surprisingly doesnt sting at all. plus,its so cheap , like 4 dollars for 12 m!!!btw, i'm not connected to any seller of this product. And it doesn't really smell strongly of almonds.

The ingredient list reminds me of a traditional "cold cream" which can be highly effective for all sorts of skin care - both normal skin and problem skin. My concerns about a high bitter almond oil content have been allayed.

The problem nowadays with European/USA formulators and legislators is that they consider the traditional cold cream as old fashioned and out of date, replacing it with a concoction of modern materials which are not nearly as versatile.

If the product works for you, excellent. Bear in mind, though, that other some users may not find it as good.

My last comment applies to all products, what some find close to perfection, others may find useless - one of the problems that pervades almost all dermatology.

Default Borax

Quote Originally Posted by MYMP View Post
    Hello everyone!my first time to post here , but regular lurker got this severe SD on face for three years now . and found this lotion that keeps my sd on bay. main ingredients are bitter almond lotion and borax which i thought at first wasnt safe , checked it on net but to be honest opinions are quiet confusing but i chose to used it in the end out of desperation.Surprisingly,my face is 80% clear now for only one month use of this lotion.
    And what about the borax? John, is this safe? Ghost recommends mixing it with hydrogen peroxide. I'm not a chemist and know very little about home remedies but that sounds a bit harsh for my poor old sensitive skin.

Sally, can I refer you to http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/ingredi...redient_id=949 which details the current legislative position in the USA for boric acid and sodium borate (borax). Similar regulations apply to Europe and elsewhere. In all of these regulations, there is a very wide margin of safety so for home made formulations there should be no need to worry.

Dilute solutions of borax should be quite safe applied to small areas of the body - the face and head, for example.

Borax and hydrogen peroxide together will form perborate which you may know as "oxygen bleach" used in washing powders. You may, or may not, want to put this on your skin. In small amounts, well diluted, it should be quite safe.

Can I suggest that with ALL new topical products that you test them on a small patch BEFORE treating the whole affected area. This advice applies to prescribed medications as well as anything you buy OTC or make yourself. This is applicable particularly to rosacea and related conditions where there is so much variability in the sensitivity of the skin and in the presentation of the disease as a whole.
    Last edited by johnabetts; 21st October 2012 at 05:30 AM.

Dilute solutions of borax should be quite safe applied to small areas of the body - the face and head, for example.

Borax and hydrogen peroxide together will form perborate which you may know as "oxygen bleach" used in washing powders. You may, or may not, want to put this on your skin. In small amounts, well diluted, it should be quite safe.
    Thank you for the link, John. It seems the common denominator of several remedies on this forum is 'bleach' (possibly oxygen bleach?). Auburn's honey treatment creates hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) which is often used as a bleach. Even my old acne treatment, Benzoyl peroxide is used for bleaching hair and teeth.

Is this just a drying effect, I wonder? In the case of Ghost's Borax solution, it is anticipated that Demodex will be killed off by it.