Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosacea, seb derm or acne?

Default Rosacea, seb derm or acne?

Long story short....

Within the past 3 years i've been constantly having the redness you see in the pics. Same places always. They come and go at will. I've been to a dermo and of course they say rosacea and thats it. After finding out that one of the prescriptions was gonna cost about $600, I asked for alternative methods.

Metrogel and Finacea do no good. Also no acne cream works.

Here recently I've tried to change up my diet but and drink more water and less sodas as well as cutting out certain things for weeks at a time as a trial and error. Nothing seems to help. Warm/hot showers seem to be the major flareup for me (as is with so many others i see).

I have read and read on here and finally decided to post. I know everyones case is different, but I was wondering where I should start with the home made remedies?

I've seen everything from dandruff shampoo to pure honey to garlic to everything else working.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by blacker View Post
    Long story short....

Within the past 3 years i've been constantly having the redness you see in the pics. Same places always. They come and go at will. I've been to a dermo and of course they say rosacea and thats it. After finding out that one of the prescriptions was gonna cost about $600, I asked for alternative methods.

Metrogel and Finacea do no good. Also no acne cream works.

Here recently I've tried to change up my diet but and drink more water and less sodas as well as cutting out certain things for weeks at a time as a trial and error. Nothing seems to help. Warm/hot showers seem to be the major flareup for me (as is with so many others i see).

I have read and read on here and finally decided to post. I know everyones case is different, but I was wondering where I should start with the home made remedies?

I've seen everything from dandruff shampoo to pure honey to garlic to everything else working.
    Hi Blacker,

Another place you might go to is Earthclinic where there is discussion about home cures for various blemishes. That probably just adds more stuff to think about, but also it may clarify since you're not sure where to begin after reading the threads here. You're right, everyone's case is different. That's why there are so many suggestion. Me -- I just hit it with every home made cure I could find. I figured SOMETHING will work and once I get rid of the blemishes ("acne", "rosacea" "broken blood vessels" etc) I can use the ones that please me and maybe rotate through them. The goal is to have nice skin.

Regarding diet I don't want to sound like a 1st grade school marm but you have to do more than try. I discovered this on myself. I tried to drop breads and stuff before and failed terribly. Just last night I was remembering one of the middle times I tried dropping flour products and it literally hurt. I was tired, cranky, hungry and envious of some dinner companions who were tearing apart the bread basket. I told them what I was doing and got lots of sympathy. It's easier if you don't sit there like a nut case who won't eat bread. But the cravings were awful.

It was only March 2011 when suddenly things came together and I just dropped bread/flour, etc., cold turkey. This time, though, I went on the Paleo diet. So all that nice protein and fat kept me satisfied (previously, like many sufferers, too many, I'd been a life-long vegetarian dutifully eating my "healthful grains". (Obviously, they were not healthful!!!!)

Read up on paleo. You can go on sites or page through some books. You can get books at the library or for a good price on line (used @ amazon, for example). None of them are perfect, but you'll get some information you will be happy with.

G

P.S. if you're home this weekend you can start any of the homemade cures. It's easier when you have a block of time to read, get the stuff together and do it.

Let us know how you do.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

thanks for the reply ghost.

i know it doesn't sound like the proper way to go, but im hard headed so i think i'll make my diet the last part of change! i'll try all the other topical/oral treatments first to see if those work.

Your symptons/skin resemble mine quite a bit (although you seem to have more severe symptons than I do). What seems to be working great for me at the moment is a diet of no grains, no sugar and no dairy. This has done more for my condition than any topical ever has (Finacea included). Dairy seems to be an especially strong trigger for me these days (this time it was youghurt). I would say go strict paleo for a month (no cheating, and go easy on the fruit), and I would be surprised if you didn't see a big improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
    Your symptons/skin resemble mine quite a bit (although you seem to have more severe symptons than I do). What seems to be working great for me at the moment is a diet of no grains, no sugar and no dairy. This has done more for my condition than any topical ever has (Finacea included). Dairy seems to be an especially strong trigger for me these days (this time it was youghurt). I would say go strict paleo for a month (no cheating, and go easy on the fruit), and I would be surprised if you didn't see a big improvement.
    well im not a big dairy eater/drinker. if i do ingest some dairy it mostly in the form of cheese as a topping on pizza/salad/tacos/etc.

don't have to worry about the fruit part either as i rarely eat that

the grains and sugar however will be the biggest part.

Default 1 week in to home remedies

initial thread

well its been 1 week since i started using the selsun blue as my only form of home remedy. i can say that it has helped A LOT in just the week. not sure if its a coincidence or not but im gonna stay on it.

i must say however that it has dried my face to the point of no return! what can i use to combat the dry skin? i've tried some lotion my wife has from one of those fancy makeup places but it only helps a little.

Hi Blacker, I see you have two threads going. I suggest you read the natural treatments I have accumulated at this link.

If you can sacrifice your eating habits for thirty days (as you mention, not many are willing to do this) I suggest you reduce your carbohydrate to less than 30 grams a day. Eat as much fat and protein as you want. Contrary to all the naysayers, eating a high fat and protein diet for 30 days is without any health risks. This is just 30 days. It is an experiment for those who have the guts. Not everyone has the guts. But if you decide to try this you will rule out whether sugar and carbohydrate is a trigger in your case. You may find that within 30 days your skin improves. After the thirty days go back to eating everything you sacrificed for 30 days, especially load up on sugar and carbohydrate. See if your skin gets worse. This is a simple test, but not many try it. You might call it a carbohydrate fast. Or you could call it a fat/protein overload. What it does is change your metabolism. The high fat/protein diet changes your insulin dominant metabolism over to a glucagon dominant metabolism. This change reduces the inflammatory metabolism that is caused by too much insulin in your blood due to eating a high carbohydrate diet.

If you learn that sugar and carbohydrate are triggers for your skin problems, then you can decide how much carbohydrate (sugar) to eat from then on. I suggest a balance of 33% carbohydrate (or less) with 33% fat and 33% protein. Balance. But for those who know that sugar and carbohydrate are triggers for them they may want to reduce carbohydrate accordingly to fit their individual situation. Diet trigger avoidance is a widely accepted treatment to control rosacea.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

It was only March 2011 when suddenly things came together and I just dropped bread/flour, etc., cold turkey. This time, though, I went on the Paleo diet. So all that nice protein and fat kept me satisfied (previously, like many sufferers, too many, I'd been a life-long vegetarian dutifully eating my "healthful grains". (Obviously, they were not healthful!!!!)

Read up on paleo. You can go on sites or page through some books. You can get books at the library or for a good price on line (used @ amazon, for example). None of them are perfect, but you'll get some information you will be happy with.

G

Let us know how you do.
    Wow ghost you have been on the paleo diet for a while now. good for you. Has it been hard staying paleo?Do you have a family to cook for or is it just you? How is your complexion these days? Are you still treating for mites?
    bizi

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bizi View Post
    Wow ghost you have been on the paleo diet for a while now. good for you. Has it been hard staying paleo?Do you have a family to cook for or is it just you? How is your complexion these days? Are you still treating for mites?
    bizi
    Hello, bizi,

Nice to hear from you. I hope you are doing well.

I really like paleo, so it's not difficult at all. I cook for me and my husband. He likes paleo, too, and recently suggested it to a man in our building who was complaining about how fat he (the man) was getting and how he was just diagnosed diabetic. The man confessed to eating lots of bread and cake, and, at least for a moment, thought dropping those would make sense. You would think his doc might have mentioned something to him. Oy! I mean, really, OY!!!

My complexion is perfect. I feel I put in a lot of hard work and continue doing so. I don't want to give rosacea a chance to raise its ugly head again. Plus paleo has more benefits than "just" skin clearing.

I am travelling soon, so I am going to take ivermectin with me as protection against foreign bedding. If anything crawls on me during the night, it's going to die.

Live free!

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Hello, bizi,

My complexion is perfect. I feel I put in a lot of hard work and continue doing so.

G
    Hey Ghost

Yes, you've put a lot of hard work into making your skin perfect and have helped many other people too.

Now it's my turn. I have the hydrogen peroxide. I have the Borax. But what I don't have is your excellent bug busting recipe in your 'About Me'. What happened to all that wonderful information?