Thread: Where type I & type II rosacea overlap

Default Where type I & type II rosacea overlap

I would be grateful for any pointers from anybody who is familiar with the categorisation of the various subtypes of rosacea and where they overlap, particularly in regard to subtypes I & II.

I myself suffer from subtype II primarily (and I always thought, exclusively). My symptoms closely resemble acne - spots, in laymans terms. In fact, it was only at approximately two years in that my GP's finally diagnosed me with 'acne rosacea', as opposed to 'acne vulgaris'.

I am prone to large, severely inflamed papules & pustules, especially on my nose. In the beginning, these often occurred 'one at a time', and upon subsiding (usually taking between 2-5 days to do so, on average) would heal completely to leave apparently unblemished, undamaged, clear skin behind. I have a good quality photograph of myself taken at 16 months into the disease, at a time when doxycycline had completely cleared my symptoms, and in it my face appears almost flawless - completely clear.

Sadly, that is a very long way from the case as at today! At around two years in, I noticed the first signs of more permanent red marks being left behind, and the first appearance of spider veins. This has worsened quite considerably over the three years or so to date (I'm now at just over five years since the first, sudden appearance of my symptoms), so that the everyday appearance of my skin has begun to change and now features some permanent background redness, unsightly marks and spider veins.

This is very upsetting, and frightening. I'm still only 31 years old. The thought of what my face might look like at this rate, even at the age of just 40, is quite terrifying.

What has prompted my concern is that, after looking at some photographs online supposedly depicting the various rosacea subtypes, I was disturbed to notice that, because of the background redness and damaged skin condition on my nose, I almost resembled the subtype I photograph as much as the subtype II. This is in spite of the fact that I have NEVER suffered flushing, blushing, burning or stinging in any way - the vast majority of those substype I symptoms are, thankfully, completely unknown to me. However I DO now have, as apparently secondary symptoms, the background redness and spider veins that are also associated with subtype I.

I guess one of my main queries is, are spider veins and permanent markings/redness apparently caused by continuous P&P eruptions an overlap between the two subtypes? Ie, please tell me that I don't have both type I &II?!

Subtype 1 rosacea is vascular rosacea, with flushing. If you don't flush and only have P&P's, you have subtype 2. The fact that your nose shows some redness and some spider veins is due to repeated inflammation. People who have subtype 2 can also have redness and spider veins. So, be reassured, you do not have both subtypes.
    Best
    Marie

From your post I believe we have quite similar symptoms, rosacea subtype II (Acne Rosacea), with the nose area being most affected. We are also not too far a part in age. What seems to work well for me these days is no grains, no sugar and no dairy. This diet seems to lower the sebum production, and for the last few months I have not had a single bad acne-like spot on my nose. (Which feels great considering how bad it's been at times the last few years).

Last week I decided to try some youghurt again, for breakfast three days in a row, and bam, big pustule on the side of my nose. One on my left chin and one on my left hand also. My nose got very oily as well, quite red and sore. Quit the dairy again, and the sebum production slowed down considerably in just a few days. The burning sensation and the general increase in redness subsided.

It takes a long time to precisely figure out what diet is right for you, but in my case I believe dairy needs to be avoided. Not too long ago I also realized that in the time leading up to my rosacea appearing I was using whey protein shakes, as I was working out quite a bit at the time. Not sure if there is a connection here, but there very well might be, if one has some form of milk protein allergy (whey, casein) ingesting concentrated milk protein would certainly put a spark to it.

The diet that I have found through trial and error (and a detailed daily food log) to work well for me I recognized at a later point as the paleo diet.
    I don't know what you have tried diet-wise, but I would give this another go if I were you.

Regarding the redness gradually increasing I think regular pustules and papules eventually will leave a mark on your skin, in the form of scarring, redness etc. Even on the best of days there is still a slight red colouring to the skin on my nose, but I believe that is a result of the last few years' papules and pustules, and not necessarily indicative of typical rosacea redness (subtype 1).
    (And maybe this could be rectified with some laser treatment for instance, when I have been able to hinder outbreaks for a substantial period of time.)

Sorry this got a bit long and maye a bit off topic, just trying to help out and share what I have found
    Last edited by Bronze; 20th October 2012 at 12:26 AM.

Many thanks to you both for your replies - both posts are very helpful.

I have paid virtually no attention to my diet so far (with the exception of some small tinkerings earlier on), however in recent weeks I have been coming around to the idea that it is something I am going to have to address. Upto this point I have been convinced that my symptoms are a result of a demodex mite infestation. I actually still suspect this to be the case, but it is only very recently that I am beginning to realise that mite & diet issues are not necessarily exclusive of each other......

Bronze, I was particularly interested in the link that you've observed between your diet and skin oiliness/sebum production. I also have oily skin, again especially on my nose, and this is something that I am keen to address.

I find the mere prospect of diet control quite frightening - pasta and danish pastries are two of my absolute favourite foods, and both will have to go - but it is something I will just have to face. If extreme measures are necessary to defeat this condition then so be it! Bring it on......I think!

The difference in oilyness/sebum production on my nose is quite dramatic in my case.
    To be blunt I would say, how bad do you want to see a change?
    Is a spot free, non oily face not worth giving up pasta and danish pastry for??

If you have not yet tried the diet-route of controlling your rosacea you really should give it a go. And if you do, do it 100%, write down every single thing you ingest, no cheating, for at least a month, take pictures. If done properly this will give you answers.
    And goood luck

Definitely. It's just been that, upto this point, I didn't think that diet was an issue for me. I'm now opening up to the idea that it actually is.

Many thanks again for your posts.