Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 grams of fat a day. Too much?

Default 100 grams of fat a day. Too much?

Hi there everyone,

I have been avoiding dairy, bread, and sugar for a few months to experiment and see if it helps with my newly diagnosed rosacea. I have been keeping a food diary on fitday.com for the last two months. I am trying to lower my carbohydrates so I am getting more fat and protein in my diet. I have noticed that every day I get about 100 grams of fat! One day I even had 150 grams. I am 5 ft 1 and I weigh 100 pounds. I am active and all of that, but I still wonder if that is too much fat per day.

I eat a few tablespoons of almond butter a day, fish a few times a week, olive oil, coconut milk, coconut oil, flax seeds, etc. They are the sources of all of that fat.

I feel fine. I am a bit underweight for my taste, but I think I am quite healthy. I feel better than I have felt in a long time.

I am just now learning about nutrition and I am sometimes not sure if I am helping or harming my body this way.

As long as the fats are good fat (it seems as if they are), I don't think 100 g of fats is going to harm you at all. In fact, fats are used in so many processes of your body, that your body probably loves it! Paleo eaters probably eat this and more and they continually have great heart health exams, so I wouldn't be too nervous.
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

florida, I never counted my grams of fat, but I must be having as much as you, since I am eating along the lines you are. I had peanut butter for breakfast; wild salmon on top of Romaine dressed with hummus, and a ton of guacamole (with cilantro, lime juice and scallions) for dinner (pea protein shake and banana in between at lunch-ish time). This is around how I do most days. I am on a huge peanut butter kick (jars of which I bought before the poisoning. But my brand wasn't recalled, anyway).

My BP, blood work, etc are great (of course, I'm allergic to dairy and somewhat to eggs, so I am not eating those).

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Default Re: 100 grams of fat a day. Too much?

Good call knowledge the recall.

I eat smuckers natty and it wssnt on the list

Thanks, I feel better now! I love almond butter and eat a lot of it, and almonds in general. I just don't want to accidentally harm my health with the 100 grams of good fat. I don't think I ever have "bad fat" anymore. My favorite snack is a sandwich made with rice tortillas. I spread a mixture of almond butter, flax seeds and mashed up raspberries onto the tortilla and have it with a glass of coconut milk. It's great.

Hi floridagirl, where do you find the rice tortillas? It might be something I could use to mix things up a bit.
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

Quote Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
    Hi floridagirl, where do you find the rice tortillas? It might be something I could use to mix things up a bit.
    I get them at Publix, a local grocery store but they are also at health food stores. The brand is called Food for Life. They are brown rice tortillas.

Hi FloridaGirl -

General Nutrition guidelines recommend you divide your calories as follows:

Carbohydrates - 45-65%
    Fats - 20-35%
    Proteins - 10-35%

There are 9 calories per gram of fat, so 100 g of fat = 900 calories. If you're consuming an 1,800 calorie diet, that would be about 50% of your calories for the day, which would seem to be too much. However, it sounds like you're quite thin, and that's just a guideline, so use your judgement. One thing to remember is that, by replacing carbs with fat, you're likely reducing the amounts of some nutrients you would probably get from carbs - vitamins that may not be in the fats.

As a comparison, both carbs and proteins provide 4 calories per gram; alcohol provides 7 calories per gram.

I think it's good to avoid extra sugar and refined carbs, but your body needs carbs to create energy, so don't cut them out completely. Focus on whole grains, natural foods and unrefined foods whenever possible.

Also, what other posters mentioned about good fats is important. Stick with unsaturated fats as much as possible. Be careful with coconut oil, it's not really a "good" fat. It's natural, and a great anti-fungal treatment (I use it as a moisturizer!) but it has a lot of saturated fat. That contributes to heart disease, which is the #1 killer of men and women. Again, it sounds like you're thin and fit, but you should still monitor your saturated fat intake.

Overall, it sounds like you have a good diet, so don't stress too much!

- HP

P.S. - I'm in Fort Myers, and love Publix!

Quote Originally Posted by DougalHP View Post
    Hi FloridaGirl -

General Nutrition guidelines recommend you divide your calories as follows:

Carbohydrates - 45-65%
    Fats - 20-35%
    Proteins - 10-35%

There are 9 calories per gram of fat, so 100 g of fat = 900 calories. If you're consuming an 1,800 calorie diet, that would be about 50% of your calories for the day, which would seem to be too much. However, it sounds like you're quite thin, and that's just a guideline, so use your judgement. One thing to remember is that, by replacing carbs with fat, you're likely reducing the amounts of some nutrients you would probably get from carbs - vitamins that may not be in the fats.

As a comparison, both carbs and proteins provide 4 calories per gram; alcohol provides 7 calories per gram.

I think it's good to avoid extra sugar and refined carbs, but your body needs carbs to create energy, so don't cut them out completely. Focus on whole grains, natural foods and unrefined foods whenever possible.

Also, what other posters mentioned about good fats is important. Stick with unsaturated fats as much as possible. Be careful with coconut oil, it's not really a "good" fat. It's natural, and a great anti-fungal treatment (I use it as a moisturizer!) but it has a lot of saturated fat. That contributes to heart disease, which is the #1 killer of men and women. Again, it sounds like you're thin and fit, but you should still monitor your saturated fat intake.

Overall, it sounds like you have a good diet, so don't stress too much!

- HP

P.S. - I'm in Fort Myers, and love Publix!
    Thank you HP,

I was just entering my food today in my Fitday.com diary and I have only had 1500 calories so far today.

59% are fat. (102 grams)

16% are protein. (95 grams)

25% are carbs. (97 grams)

I had:

Green tea, a boiled egg, about 25-30 almonds, 1/2 cup of arugula, a cup of romaine, 1/2 cup cilantro, 2 ounces of diced green bell peppers, 7 bok choy leaves sauteed in olive oil at a low heat, 1 cucumber, 1/2 cup of chickpeas, 1/2 cup of watermelon, 4 slices of organic turkey with no nitrites or weird things, 1/4 of an avocado, a tablespoon of flax seeds, 1 ounce of raspberries, 2 tbs of almond butter, a brown rice tortilla and a fish oil pill. Oh, and I put about a teaspoon of olive oil and some lime juice on my salad.

I actually want to find 500 more calories in my cabinet but that would raise my carbs above 100 for the day. I am finding that keeping my carbs below 100 grams a day has helped my skin. I am trying to go lower but it is challenging.

I am glad you like Publix. I love it!

Florida,

You might consider sardines for that extra bit of calories with no carbs. They're stuffed with Omega 3. I should talk, though. I hate sardines. But one time I read how the RNA in them is so great for your skin so I tried it and I was glowing. But I couldn't keep it up; I ate a ton. But I still ate wheat. So frustratingly I saw very good skin surrounding red spots. I didn't "get it" at the time -- they even TOLD us pasta is good for your skin. Argh!

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."