Thread: It's my birthday and everyone keeps giving me sweets!! What would you do?

Default It's my birthday and everyone keeps giving me sweets!! What would you do?

Hi everyone,

It is my birthday and so far today I have been given one mini chocolate cake and two chocolate cupcakes and a bottle of red wine. I have not had alcohol or refined sugar/chocolate in two months and I feel great BUT I really want to sample these treats, it is very hard to say no to them. I don't want the wine, but man, I want that cupcake. The person made it for me as a birthday gift.

What do you all do on holidays? Do you just eat and enjoy or do you stay strong and say no?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by floridagirl View Post
    Hi everyone,

It is my birthday and so far today I have been given one mini chocolate cake and two chocolate cupcakes and a bottle of red wine. I have not had alcohol or refined sugar/chocolate in two months and I feel great BUT I really want to sample these treats, it is very hard to say no to them. I don't want the wine, but man, I want that cupcake. The person made it for me as a birthday gift.

What do you all do on holidays? Do you just eat and enjoy or do you stay strong and say no?
    Happy Birthday! A cupcake won't do you in :-) And if it does... well, you'll know for sure what your limit is (and that's not a bad thing).

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Happy Birthday! A cupcake won't do you in :-) And if it does... well, you'll know for sure what your limit is (and that's not a bad thing).

G
    Thank you!

It's a German chocolate cupcake. My husband happily ate the chocolate cake on his own, but he doesn't like coconut so he won't eat the cupcake for me. It's just sitting there looking delicious. For some reason, I'll feel terribly guilty if I eat it but at the same time, it's my birthday! Life is too short to say no to everything from "BR" aka "Before Rosacea". And like you said, it will let me know my limit.

I may save it for breakfast in the morning. I've already had plenty of fat today.

Just go ahead and eat the cupcake. Like Ghost says, one treat once in a while isn't going to sabotage your health. It's the constant barrage of sugar that wears the body down, not the occasional indulgence. If you feel your rosacea took a hit from the one cupcake, you can be sure that a few days of not eating any sugar will put things right again. That's the beauty of the human body - it's ability to heal no matter what we throw at it as long as we give it that opportunity.
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

Quote Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
    Just go ahead and eat the cupcake. Like Ghost says, one treat once in a while isn't going to sabotage your health. It's the constant barrage of sugar that wears the body down, not the occasional indulgence. If you feel your rosacea took a hit from the one cupcake, you can be sure that a few days of not eating any sugar will put things right again. That's the beauty of the human body - it's ability to heal no matter what we throw at it as long as we give it that opportunity.
    Thank you! I ate half of it, about 4 fork fulls. It was so good. I felt like I had just done something evil, but my face did not explode like I expected it to. So far, no terrible results from it. So that was a nice little test, just in time for Disney's Food and Wine Festival next week.

Quote Originally Posted by floridagirl View Post
    Thank you! I ate half of it, about 4 fork fulls. It was so good. I felt like I had just done something evil, but my face did not explode like I expected it to. So far, no terrible results from it. So that was a nice little test, just in time for Disney's Food and Wine Festival next week.
    Disney's promoting alcohol? What has the world come to?

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Disney's promoting alcohol? What has the world come to?

G
    Haha! Oh yes, every year in October and November, they have Food and Wine Fest at Epcot. You walk around and drunkenly eat and drink foods from around the world. I was once with someone who got so drunk that he did not recall buying a Samurai sword. He did not drive, of course. This year, I will not partake in the alcohol but I will want to try the samples of food, even though I'm always a tiny bit afraid these days when I eat things I don't make myself. Hopefully there will be something that I can eat without fear of a flare up.