Thread: Tiredness and rosacea

Default Tiredness and rosacea

Hello all. I have suffered from rosacea now for almost two years and I am getting rather sick of it- something needs to be done. I am on doxycycline for the spots and generally they have worked well, the only side effect seemingly being a prolonged healing process and increased propensity to scar after any breakouts. Now my problem is the general diffuse redness and intermittent blushing (sometimes due to obvious triggers, sometimes not). I have made two observations about my own condition that do not seem to appear so much on these threads and I would be interested to know for my own research if anyone else shares these:

1) At the end of the day, at around midnight, my skin complexion is TOTALLy normal- my complexion is akin to that of my former self, pre-rosacea. Exactly as it was two years ago (It gives me hope that it still exists somewhere under the layer of red).
    2) Wearing a t-shirt in a normal to cold environment induces more flushing than if you were to wear a coat.

Certainly a global, system-system redistribution of blood flow in both cases.

Quote Originally Posted by tojo990 View Post
    Hello all. I have suffered from rosacea now for almost two years and I am getting rather sick of it- something needs to be done. I am on doxycycline for the spots and generally they have worked well, the only side effect seemingly being a prolonged healing process and increased propensity to scar after any breakouts. Now my problem is the general diffuse redness and intermittent blushing (sometimes due to obvious triggers, sometimes not). I have made two observations about my own condition that do not seem to appear so much on these threads and I would be interested to know for my own research if anyone else shares these:

1) At the end of the day, at around midnight, my skin complexion is TOTALLy normal- my complexion is akin to that of my former self, pre-rosacea. Exactly as it was two years ago (It gives me hope that it still exists somewhere under the layer of red).
    2) Wearing a t-shirt in a normal to cold environment induces more flushing than if you were to wear a coat.

Certainly a global, system-system redistribution of blood flow in both cases.
    Yeah im the same at times, although lately my rosacea has progressed rapidly. At night is when my face actually looks calm (Well it did). A few months back my face use to return to completely pre rosacea times. Now its got to the point where even at night my cheeks still feel warm and there is a definate permanent swelling (think alcoholic chubby cheeks) going on now.

When you say blushing do you mean social/embarrassed blushing or rosacea flushing triggered by lots of things. Or both?

I agree with what you say about wrapping up in the cold, in my opinion i think the body is less likely to centralise blood when the body is warm. Therefore resulting in more blood flow to the face, resulting in a milder flush when returning to the warmth. That's just my opinion though.

Bit random but do you suffer from cold feet?

Quote Originally Posted by philmitchel View Post
    Yeah im the same at times, although lately my rosacea has progressed rapidly. At night is when my face actually looks calm (Well it did). A few months back my face use to return to completely pre rosacea times. Now its got to the point where even at night my cheeks still feel warm and there is a definate permanent swelling (think alcoholic chubby cheeks) going on now.

When you say blushing do you mean social/embarrassed blushing or rosacea flushing triggered by lots of things. Or both?

I agree with what you say about wrapping up in the cold, in my opinion i think the body is less likely to centralise blood when the body is warm. Therefore resulting in more blood flow to the face, resulting in a milder flush when returning to the warmth. That's just my opinion though.

Bit random but do you suffer from cold feet?
    My flushing is mainly due to other triggers, but since I went on clonidine that has improved dramatically. It's mainly the constant low-level redness that is getting to me and the fact that I can't drink alcohol without looking like a volcano.

I just think if it can go away totally at night, that whatever component of the physiological change, be it hormonal, autonomic etc, that happens to you when you're tired is all that we need to harness to stop the condition. Obviously with the spots it's multifaceted but they must originate from the same source. I firmly believe there is a simple answer to this annoying disease. I'm sorry to hear that yours has progressed, from what I understand this condition takes you through bad patches and I'm sure it will improve again. Any swelling I had went with the antibiotics due to their anti-inflammatory effects so perhaps you should try them if you aren't already or anti-histamines, or nsaids?

And I agree with you, I wear a jumper almost all the time now- even when a normal person would wear a t-shirt and it reduces my facial warmth/ redness considerably. I'm considering trying the dietary change as another non-pharmaceutical measure... It's a shame because I love carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by tojo990 View Post
    My flushing is mainly due to other triggers, but since I went on clonidine that has improved dramatically. It's mainly the constant low-level redness that is getting to me and the fact that I can't drink alcohol without looking like a volcano.

I just think if it can go away totally at night, that whatever component of the physiological change, be it hormonal, autonomic etc, that happens to you when you're tired is all that we need to harness to stop the condition. Obviously with the spots it's multifaceted but they must originate from the same source. I firmly believe there is a simple answer to this annoying disease. I'm sorry to hear that yours has progressed, from what I understand this condition takes you through bad patches and I'm sure it will improve again. Any swelling I had went with the antibiotics due to their anti-inflammatory effects so perhaps you should try them if you aren't already or anti-histamines, or nsaids?

And I agree with you, I wear a jumper almost all the time now- even when a normal person would wear a t-shirt and it reduces my facial warmth/ redness considerably. I'm considering trying the dietary change as another non-pharmaceutical measure... It's a shame because I love carbs.
    Yeah totally agree that something hormonal happens at night. Like i said a few months back my face use to be completely calm 9pm onwards.
    Yeah i think diet is key (even though mine is been bad for a while). I did try extreme low carb and that made me quite ill so go easy on that. Its funny, before rosacea i couldn't of cared less about my diet. Now i've got it and read up about how much your diet influences other diseases i really see the bigger picture..
    Going low carb pretty much stopped my teenage acne for the few weeks i was on it. In my opinion low carb lowers testosterone in some way as my acne was gone and so was everything else if you catch my drift haha.

About anti histmanes and NSAIDS, have to say i havent tried any NSAIDS but have just bought a quercetin and bromelain supplement. Wiitch is a natural anti histamine and a few people here have had success with its anti swelling properties. Did you say you had success with antibiotics and swelling or did the antibiotics cause the swelling?