Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Working out/excercise

Default Working out/excercise

Hi, quick question, can i still work out with Rosacea?

I hear that it can cause flair ups, but you know what, if im going to have a red face then i probably need to have a decent body at least!

Just Kidding, but seriously am I able to carry on working out, or am i going to cause myself serious problems?

You should still work-out no matter what. At the end of the day, it's better to live 80 years with rosacea than 40 without it. I think staying - at the very least - moderately healthy is important. But it will probably aggravate your condition. It sure does for myself.

What I do is work-out in the evenings on days when I do not have school (or for you, maybe work) the next day. I flare up, but I take a shower when I get home and have the day to cool down. So you might want to work-out Friday/Saturday evenings.

Hi there.
    I totally agree with Dylan in that working out is very important to not just overall physical health but emotional well being also.
    I workout every AM before work and make sure that I don't get overheated by keeping the temp coolish in my exercise room. I have a fan on that keeps the air flowing which is very helpful. I don't keep it overly cold anymore as that has its own set of problems but instead just keep the temp comfortable. The main issue is to keep the air flowing and that helps you from getting overheated. Also, just don't overdo the intensity and you should be OK. For example, I workout at a less intense pace for a longer period of time and that helps me from getting overly flushed.

Make sure you drink cool water throughout and remain hydrated as well.

Best of luck!

Melissa

Hi Infern0,

I agree w/ Melissa and Dylan, they bring up good tips.

I also workout on a regular basis..i usually go after work, it's best to workout in the early morning or later in the evening to avoid overheating too much.

Would also recommend do laps in the pool (chlorine only/no bromine- too harsh) it's a good cardio and pool will help you keep your body temp lower...for me, not everyone, but for me the chlorine helps my skin, could be the antibacterial properties in the chlorine.

A lot of people find working out makes them flush more, but for me, again this is just in my case it actually helps my flushing and redness, must be from the blood circulation...etc.

i would test it out, see how intense you can workout before any reactions start and create your workout plan based off of that. Like Melissa has done, longer workout low intensity....

lets us know how you make out.

Best,
    Dan

Good point Dan!

A lot of people find working out makes them flush more, but for me, again this is just in my case it actually helps my flushing and redness, must be from the blood circulation...etc.
    I find working out actually keeps my face calmer after the workout (unless I worked out too hard). During my workout my face sweats keeping my face slightly pink to even pale and not red. My face looks better after a workout for sure.

It seems with me, that I flush straight after the workout, although it's hard to tell as i'm red all over! but obviously i get redder cheeks, for about 30-45 minutes, but other than that it's really not too bad, I feel better for it, and i have lost a few lbs, since i started, so I guess it's worth it. My flushes during the day have actually become less frequent than before i sterted, i think there may be a link to new confidence in my appearance.

So overall, the discomfort at the time seems outweighed by the positives.

I'd encourage you to work out! A couple of tips to try and make things more comfortable is to try to use the running machines etc that are directly beneath the air conditioning units, always have a bottle of cold water ready and wrap a cold wet cloth/towel around your shoulders or neck. Even a bandana might work!

I flush during exercise but I always see plenty of people with red or pink faces and no-one pays much attention as people are exerting themselves after all! Now if only people wouldn't pay much attention when sitting in a stuffy meeting room!

Good luck.

BMBM

after some thinking, i've decided to forsake the flushing for a good body. I mean, i'd rather have a nice physique with slightly worse skin, than bad physique with already bad skin.

Wonder if u guys have this problem, but whenever i workout with heavy weights, especially BENCH PRESS (cuz we're lying down and blood rushes to the head), i get sooo friggin red and im always worried ppl might find it weird. It's not just a normal blood rushing to the head, but its FRIGGIN red, almost like a watermelon's flesh, kind of.

I walk.

Cycling to and from work, 5 days a week for 3 years plus an addiction to the weights room gave me Rosacea.

All I do now is walk, I walk home from work 3 days a week, thats nearly 10 miles and take regular long walks at weekends with my girlfriend.

I haven't put on any weight at all. Lost the 6 pack though...

interesting chris; i've wondered the same thing.

my rosacea came about during a time when i lived a few miles out of town, and had to cycle around 6 miles a day, summer/winter etc.

it also came about when i stopped being vegan after 9 years, so i always thought it was diet related.

but at the back of my mind i did wonder if it was to do with cycling in the elements too.

i've been training for triathlons for two years now; and giving up exercise to combat my skin isn't an option. i'd rather have slightly worse skin than be unfit. but then i don't experience flushing, so i understand that could be a different situation