Thread: Not sure what kind of rosacea I have

Default Not sure what kind of rosacea I have

Hello,

I was diagnosed with rosacea about 2 years ago. But that was just officially. Since I was 7 years old I have had red face. I'm 20 years old now and I can't say the shade has gotten worse, maybe spread a little. And it has never changed my whole life. I am trying to navigate this forum but the problem is that products/treatments vary so much by what kind of rosacea someone has.

So I could use some help figuring out what kind of rosacea I have.

1: I have never had any kind of acne on my face. Nothing. I think I remember one pimple on my nose in middle school, and thats it.

2: There is absolutely no roughness in my skin. If I brushed my finger over my skin I would never think anything is wrong. People actually comment on how smooth/soft my face is (when I'm shaved)

3: I feel no 'heat' or 'flushing' that I hear about. I do get nervous/uneasy/flustered at times. But I never feel it. Someone may comment that my face got more red, but with the exception of working out hard I have never felt like my face was hot

4. There has been nothing abnormal about my face skin. The only thing it does is be red.

5. When I work out my face gets more red, like anyone

I can't really provide a picture right now. I will later if necessary. But based on what I said about having no acne/roughness/problems of any kind with my skin, what kind of rosacea is this? And what kind of treatments should I look to?

I am a college student and cannot see any dermatologist in my area due to that my health insurance is based from my hometown, and not a single person accepts it here. If I go to the school health center they will just tell me the usual everything that I have heard already.

So for someone who can only access OTC medicines, I really need help. I have just started the Eucerin Redness relief line. I have the cleanser/daily creme/and night creme. So I will give that about 4 weeks to see what happens. But I have no idea what to do if that doesn't work out.
    Last edited by Nicbenne; 24th September 2012 at 05:17 PM.

This doesn't sound like typical rosacea to me, but I don't know. Any chance to get a second opinion? Is your skin sensitive in anyway?

From your description it is Rosacea, Subtype 1.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    From your description it is Rosacea, Subtype 1.
    Is having red skin without any other symptom enough to diagnose rosacea?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloem View Post
    Is having red skin without any other symptom enough to diagnose rosacea?
    There is no test or one indicator that diagnoses rosacea. Diagnosis is obtained from a physician by examination and taking a history. While some in this forum feel that you can get a diagnosis of rosacea in five minutes (see this thread) there is evidence that rosacea is poorly understood, that misdiagnosis occurs and can be a mystery. I have written extensively on this subject. For example, this post and particularly this post. If you want to understand more on how a diagnosis of rosacea is obtained by a physician click here.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi