Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Im looking for girls/women who want to date that have rosacea

OMG, maybe the minute we see a red face on the cover of British Vogue. Not very likely.

Besides, in my opinion the red face is a sign of something physical going wrong that is asking to be fixed.

Think about it: rash = red marks; poison ivy = red marks; scalding = red skin; chicken pox, measles, German measles = red marks; sunburn = red skin; over drinking = red skin; allergies = red marks or red skin... all these nuisances and diseases are inflammatory and are all indicated by unnatural redness on the skin.

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Ghost: You're exactly right. And the reason why we will never see a red-faced woman on the cover of a magazine is that people instinctively are attracted to people who look healthy. As you say, redness of skin is usually a case of inflammation or poor health and so will never be accepted as a beauty standard.

Now, how we got all those rail-thin models to be 'beautiful' is beyond me. Actually I do know. With the influx of overweight/obese people the natural inclination is that people gravitate to the opposite to look for beauty. The problem is that they went too far the other way. Kinda like how back in the day white skin was a sign of beauty because the women didn't have to work in the fields and get a tan. It was a sign of wealth and prestige. Also, chubbiness used to be attractive due to the fact that the person had ample supply of food. Some cultures still think of having extra weight as attractive for this reason. One thing that has never been attractive however, is skin problems. It is a clear, outward sign of poor health.
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

I agree- although, lots of girls do wear blush to kind of give their cheeks a bit of redness. I that bit of red might actually look "healthy"- maybe healthier than extremely pale skin anyway. It's funny how much I look at people skin tone ever since I've had rosacea- and sometimes I'll see someone like me who's obviously got it and probably pretty insecure about it, and I wonder if they're thinking the same thing about me lol. But honestly I think that We notice our own skin problems probably much more than others do. Sometimes I've been flushing so bad in a social situation just knowing that someone was going to say something or ask what was wrong but they just keep on talking, laughing like they haven't noticed anything strange. I think that's something that I've been trying to remind myself lately- that for me Rosacea seems to be the end of the world but other people aren't wrapped up in my insecurities the way that I am and they're not constantly staring at my skin waiting for a flush to go away etc. I 'm realizing that rosacea is almost just as much a mental disease as a physical one and constantly worrying about it probably only makes it worse. I think it's possible to have a life of happiness and love with rosacea, the hardest part (for me at least) might be just learning to accept myself the way that I am and in turn hoping other's will do the same.

Personally, I find "blusher" silly.

Blusher creates more the 'pre-rosacea' stage when you just go a bit red, not the agony of real rosacea (pustules, papules, thread veins, painful hot flushing etc).

Well said Adam. You are on the money with your comments. I know that is how i feel too. Unfortunately, us males can't cover it up with make up or a bit of blush

Quote Originally Posted by willingtotry View Post
    Well said Adam. You are on the money with your comments. I know that is how i feel too. Unfortunately, us males can't cover it up with make up or a bit of blush
    Not strictly true. There has been many a day gone by that, without concealer, I'd have been confined to my house. It doesn't change the way you feel inside, but it can help on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by davem81 View Post
    Not strictly true. There has been many a day gone by that, without concealer, I'd have been confined to my house. It doesn't change the way you feel inside, but it can help on the outside.
    This reminds me of a note I found about T.S. Eliot:

"Lyndall Gordon writes in T.S. Eliot: A Modern Life that in the early 1920s, the author answered to “Captain Eliot” in his hideaway above Chatto & Windus, a publishing house on St Martin’s Lane; however, at another hideaway on Charing Cross Road, visitors were asked to inquire at the porter’s lodge for a man known only as “The Captain.” Upstairs, Eliot’s face was “tinted green with powder to look cadaverous.” What can we say? The man was an eccentric genius for good reason."

I never read that he had rosacea, although he was fond of rose imagery. For example, the briar rose and the royal rose are both mentioned in The Dry Salvages.

Anyway, to get slightly, ever so slightly, back on topic -- with his green face powder I think old T.S. became bubbly inside thinking what his visitors might be thinking at the sight of his slightly green-tinted visage.

G

Default 5 years later

I've just been diagnosed myself and I'm only 24. Dating has been a worry for me since I found out and I was saying to my mum last night that there should be a dating forum for rosaceans. At the moment I'm flushing twice daily on my cheeks and I've had one pimple but who knows what will be unleashed in a week, month, year or so on. So after searching about dating with Rosacea I found this thread and would love to hear that you've found someone and are happy? (Understood you may not even be an active member anymore)! I do think a dating thread would be awesome, if also love a Rosacea sufferer meet up that would be pretty cool too!