Thread: Refining the crotamiton experiment...

Default Refining the crotamiton experiment...

Last October/November, I began applying crotamiton (eurax) cream to my face in an attempt to eradicate the demodex mite population. I discontinued this treatment after 9 days of daily applications, because I suspected that my skin was not tolerating the cream particularly well, and seemed to be exhibiting increased 'background' redness.

In the weeks after ceasing treatment, I suffered a severe outbreak of papules and pustules in the treated areas, more severe than almost anything I had experienced before. So something definitely happened...!

I then kind of 'forgot' about crotamiton, wrote it off as a treatment option on the basis that I couldn't tolerate it. I then decided to completely 'rest' from all treatment. I even stopped washing my face. With hindsight, I now wish I had applied 'maintenance' doses of crotamition at regular intervals. But I didn't.

Throughout this period of 6 months or so, my skin has largely been pretty good. Not perfect, and I have had periodic break outs, but in the context of the last 5-6 years, it's been a much 'better' time.

My original thought was that 'doing nothing' was somehow working...! My skin has been far less oily, which I put down to the fact that it was no longer been repeatedly and frequently washed. Things seemed to be improving...

However.......over the past month or so, slowly but (it seems) surely, the breakouts are increasing again. Maybe I was wrong to put my improvements down to resting my skin....maybe it was the benefit of the crotamiton all along?

I have read reports that crotamiton is among the more effective known 'mite killers'. I have also read reports of a single 'dose' (ie daily application for a week or two) showing lasting benefits of upto a year. Could that be what has happened in my case? The 'dose' I applied in October last year wiped out a large proportion of my population, and it is only now building itself back up to the levels that cause me a significant degree of trouble?

My idea is to return to crotamiton, in bursts of 4-5 days at a time, perhaps monthly. Maybe I can't tolerate it on an ongoing daily basis but in theory, I shouldn't need to - this is where my thinking was wrong the first time around. Once the first 'burst' of treatment is administered, it should only require 'preventative' top up doses going forward - I believe this is the theory with the topical ivermectin many members here have trialled (wistar having notable results). Crotamiton is basically a treatment with the same aim.

I do fear the kind of 'breakout' I suffered the first time around though. With this in mind, I intend to begin a course of oral antibiotics at the same time, as this may act to reduce the effect of a demodex 'die off', by targetting the resulting bacteria. I have a course of tetralysal ready to take as prescribed a while ago by my derm, but that I wasn't especially interested in before.

I would welcome the thoughts of any other members, particularly any subtype II sufferers who are familiar with the previous demodex/ivermectin/crotamiton discussions on this board. Many thanks.

Sounds like a plan but personally, I'd rather live with any die-off effects than take the antibiotics.

In the past, I have applied crotamiton daily (at night) for upwards of two weeks at a time without any noticeable changes (good or bad) in my skin condition. I have a very oily skin though and wonder if the cream (Eurax) is rendered less effective by being lifted off the surface by a film of sebum which develops overnight.

Iím having better luck with TTO (diluted in Jojoba oil) which I apply two to three times a day Ė perhaps because the TTO will readily coalesce with the sebum. I experienced an initial outbreak of P&Ps (particularly on my nose) which are slowly clearing so Iím hopeful that if I continue with this regime I may see some long-term improvement.

I also have some Nu-Stock on order as backup.

Quote Originally Posted by davem81 View Post
    Last October/November, I began applying crotamiton (eurax) cream to my face in an attempt to eradicate the demodex mite population. I discontinued this treatment after 9 days of daily applications, because I suspected that my skin was not tolerating the cream particularly well, and seemed to be exhibiting increased 'background' redness.

In the weeks after ceasing treatment, I suffered a severe outbreak of papules and pustules in the treated areas, more severe than almost anything I had experienced before. So something definitely happened...!

I then kind of 'forgot' about crotamiton, wrote it off as a treatment option on the basis that I couldn't tolerate it. I then decided to completely 'rest' from all treatment. I even stopped washing my face. With hindsight, I now wish I had applied 'maintenance' doses of crotamition at regular intervals. But I didn't.

Throughout this period of 6 months or so, my skin has largely been pretty good. Not perfect, and I have had periodic break outs, but in the context of the last 5-6 years, it's been a much 'better' time.

My original thought was that 'doing nothing' was somehow working...! My skin has been far less oily, which I put down to the fact that it was no longer been repeatedly and frequently washed. Things seemed to be improving...

However.......over the past month or so, slowly but (it seems) surely, the breakouts are increasing again. Maybe I was wrong to put my improvements down to resting my skin....maybe it was the benefit of the crotamiton all along?

I have read reports that crotamiton is among the more effective known 'mite killers'. I have also read reports of a single 'dose' (ie daily application for a week or two) showing lasting benefits of upto a year. Could that be what has happened in my case? The 'dose' I applied in October last year wiped out a large proportion of my population, and it is only now building itself back up to the levels that cause me a significant degree of trouble?

My idea is to return to crotamiton, in bursts of 4-5 days at a time, perhaps monthly. Maybe I can't tolerate it on an ongoing daily basis but in theory, I shouldn't need to - this is where my thinking was wrong the first time around. Once the first 'burst' of treatment is administered, it should only require 'preventative' top up doses going forward - I believe this is the theory with the topical ivermectin many members here have trialled (wistar having notable results). Crotamiton is basically a treatment with the same aim.

I do fear the kind of 'breakout' I suffered the first time around though. With this in mind, I intend to begin a course of oral antibiotics at the same time, as this may act to reduce the effect of a demodex 'die off', by targetting the resulting bacteria. I have a course of tetralysal ready to take as prescribed a while ago by my derm, but that I wasn't especially interested in before.

I would welcome the thoughts of any other members, particularly any subtype II sufferers who are familiar with the previous demodex/ivermectin/crotamiton discussions on this board. Many thanks.
    I've used both eurax and ivermectin on and off over the last couple years. I saw some benefit but not total clearing. I'm not sure demodex are really a big issue for me. My typical routine was to start using a mite killer nightly for 5 or 6 days in a row an then cut back to every 3rd or 4th day and continue doing that for a few months. If mites are your problem, a routine like that should help you control the population and you should see some benefits.

Good luck,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by redlugs View Post
    Sounds like a plan but personally, I'd rather live with any die-off effects than take the antibiotics.
    Ordinarily I'm no fan of antibiotics for rosacea either - I haven't taken any since 2010 in spite of my derm's best efforts to put me back on them. But the 'die-off' (assuming that's what it was) that I experienced last time was particularly severe, much more severe than my 'regular' symptoms, and to be frank it has frightened me! I don't want that again. That is where I'm hoping the antibiotics have a role to play in this plan.

Quote Originally Posted by redlugs View Post
    Iím having better luck with TTO (diluted in Jojoba oil) which I apply two to three times a day Ė perhaps because the TTO will readily coalesce with the sebum. I experienced an initial outbreak of P&Ps (particularly on my nose) which are slowly clearing so Iím hopeful that if I continue with this regime I may see some long-term improvement.
    I think this is key, and is where I failed first time around. Demodex will never be beaten by 'one-off' treatments, it's going to be a long-term, ongoing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by flying_er View Post
    I've used both eurax and ivermectin on and off over the last couple years. I saw some benefit but not total clearing. I'm not sure demodex are really a big issue for me. My typical routine was to start using a mite killer nightly for 5 or 6 days in a row an then cut back to every 3rd or 4th day and continue doing that for a few months. If mites are your problem, a routine like that should help you control the population and you should see some benefits.

Good luck,
    Dave
    Thanks Dave. I've been similar, in that I've seen definite benefits of targetting the mites, but not the total clearing as reported by the likes of wistar and rachzon in the ivermectin thread. In my case, however, my theory is that I haven't used aggresive enough treatments - I do believe the mites are somewhere near the root cause of my problems, and that's why I intend to persevere with targetting them, as trying as we all know it can be....!

Quote Originally Posted by davem81 View Post
    Ordinarily I'm no fan of antibiotics for rosacea either - I haven't taken any since 2010 in spite of my derm's best efforts to put me back on them. But the 'die-off' (assuming that's what it was) that I experienced last time was particularly severe, much more severe than my 'regular' symptoms, and to be frank it has frightened me! I don't want that again. That is where I'm hoping the antibiotics have a role to play in this plan.
    How about increasing your intake of fresh garlic instead? I find garlic to be quite effective at keeping the P&Ps at bay although I must admit it didn't prevent an outbreak about a week after I started applying the tea tree oil. I worked from home until I felt reasonably presentable again and there's been no further occurrence.

I think this is key, and is where I failed first time around. Demodex will never be beaten by 'one-off' treatments, it's going to be a long-term, ongoing thing.
    Agreed.