Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm sick of this... I need help, any advice...

Default I'm sick of this... I need help, any advice...

Hi, I'm a 21 tear old male, I'm not sure how long I've actually had rosacea now. At least a year, but looking at pictures two years ago I can now see that I actually had it then, just so little I didn't noticed. So I don't know really, but it's been clear it developed to become a problem about a year ago.

Anyway, I can't lie, the last year's been like hell, clearly the worst year of my life so far. My self-esteem is not what is used to be, I shy away from people, I'm constantly stressed and depressed and have even been suicidal(and still am sometimes). I saw one other guy post a thread here where he asked if anyone ever felt like "why me", and yes, I do all the time, but the worst part is realising that it's probably because of my bad lifestyle habits in the past that i got the condition: In my teen years I never had good sleeping habits and would stay up all night and wake up early for school. I was never active, I was eating pretty unhealthy for the most part and I was stressed very often.

In this short time of a year, I've had three lasers, tried antibiotics, tried eating healthy (and I still am), exercising, I never take hot showers anymore and avoid hot envorinments like the plague. I use sunscreen when it's sunny outside. I get enough sleep. In general I'm trying all the things that is known to maybe help... I can't honestly say I've followed these things perfectly; I have eaten unhealthy a few times, taken some hot showers, stopped exercising for a while, but in general I have followed these things and at this moment I follow all these things better than ever, for example I will never take a hot shower in my life anymore, because I know that means flare up for me.

At this moment I'm trying Finacea, and I was actually surprised and happy to see it working to a degree. I've used it for exactly two months now, and at least the pimples are very reduced which I'm glad to see, and also the redness to some degree(although I'm not that satisfied with the reduction in redness). People who are using/have tried Finacea: Can I expect much more improvement after the two months of use?

But, to the point of the thread: As I said I've tried all of the most common things that are known to help and I still got redness that is so bad it's almost unlivable to me.... when i get flare ups I just can't be around people and I think it's ruining my life, I know I'm not alone and this isn't me asking for sympathy, I'm asking this: I need advice, Finacea seems to help, but the redness isn't nearly where I would wish for it to be, and even though I have hopes for Finacea, I know I'm only fooling myself if I think it will help for certain - because that's not true... in fact I've come to realise that the redness could also get worse instead of better, even though I hate the thought of it, it's just how it is. So: If it doesn't get better, or just slightly better, what should I do?? I can't live with it, I just can't.... I know most people would just reply "well you have to" to that, but what should I do if it doesnt get better? I've gone trough a year, just ONE year with a condition that is chronic, and I've thought about killing myself in only that time, what should I do to survive with this condition if it doesn't get better or even gets worse? I feel hopeless, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

The time after I wrote this I've continued to struggle every day in life, but recently things has started to look brighter - I've tried a thing I should have done a long time ago; quit eating bread and carbs in general, and try to only consume carbs from vegetables. And, to my surprise, it looks like it's working, in fact better than any medication and treatments I've tried. So, If anyone who reads this is in the same situation as I was in, meaning having tried every medicine and treatment there is, I want to encourage you to start on a low carb diet. I don't know why I was sceptical towards this, but my sceptisism is now gone, cutting carbs has worked. I'm hoping to refine mye diet even more now and hopefully I will see even more results. I just want this post to potentially be of value to someone who maybe just has gotten rosacea and are looking for treatment, or anyone that might underestimate the effects of a diet low in carbohydrates as I did.

If someone are interested in the things I've been eating lately:

Tuna
    Pork
    Chicken
    Eggs
    Butter
    Sour Cream
    lettuce
    cabbage
    broccoli
    carrots
    apples
    sausages (I'm gonna cut out these now, because it's hard to know whether or not they contain added sugar)
    Ain't drinking anything but water

And that's about all I'm eating now. I'm trying to find the healthiest, cheapest and lowest in carbs- food I can find. I also take fish oil supplements. Btw, if anyone has any ideas of food I can add to the list, that would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by RudolfRedFace; 11th September 2012 at 07:34 PM.

Good for you. I have advocated eating low carb / high protein for years. It works for me. Not a cure, but it does control it. Thanks for your follow up. I have a book with suggestions. You can get a free copy by following the directions and clicking here.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

It's been a little over a month since i started on this low carb diet now, and it has improved even more up until this point.

Today I woke up with very red skin generally all over my face, and it's because it's getting really cold where I live now and winter is starting to showing, and cold is maybe one of the worst things for me. I thought to myself, "Please, not one of those days". I ate breakfast (chicken) and went to school. It's pretty normal for me to wake up a little red, especially when it's cold, and after an hour it usually calms down abit, and, it did now too, but it cleared up much more than it usually does, and it was pretty clear throughout the whole day actually... and in the evening, it's usually at it's worst, but this evening, for a moment, it was almost completely clear, yup. Just to let you know how good that is; I haven't seen it that clear in about a half year, and I've been doing three lasers and using finacea and antibiotics, and always avoiding triggers like heat and cold(finacea has worked well though, but I stopped it when starting on the diet).

For the first time ever, I feel like I got it under control. I still have bad moments of course, but now, even if I have breakout, it's normally much milder and doesn't last for that long!

I've kind of refined my diet since I started, so this is what I eat now.

Ground beef (chicken or pork, any meat seems to be fine)
    I usually put lots of olive oil in my food
    I cook with butter (doesn't matter how much, it doesn't seem to affect rosacea)
    tuna (I feel this is one of the "safest" things to eat in any quantity)
    Cheese (lately I've been eating lots of cheese, anything from 500-1000cal of it, and it seems to be fine too, but I have just quit it to see if it makes a difference)
    vegetables: I try to go relatively low carb here also; Brocolli, tomatoes, onions, carrots, spinach(sometimes cabbage).
    Fruit: I've been eating 2-3 apples a day (because they're tasty!). bananas and peaches seem to be fine too.

Just now though as I said, I've quit cheese and that alone made me eat far less calories a day, and the drop in calories could be a reason it has improved even more, but it could also be the fact that my body has adapted to the diet.
    Last edited by RudolfRedFace; 9th October 2012 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RudolfRedFace View Post
    It's been a little over a month since i started on this low carb diet now, and it has improved even more up until this point.

Today I woke up with very red skin generally all over my face, and it's because it's getting really cold where I live now and winter is starting to showing, and cold is maybe one of the worst things for me. I thought to myself, "Please, not one of those days". I ate breakfast (chicken) and went to school. It's pretty normal for me to wake up a little red, especially when it's cold, and after an hour it usually calms down abit, and, it did now too, but it cleared up much more than it usually does, and it was pretty clear throughout the whole day actually... and in the evening, it's usually at it's worst, but this evening, for a moment, it was almost completely clear, yup. Just to let you know how good that is; I haven't seen it that clear in about a half year, and I've been doing three lasers and using finacea and antibiotics(finacea has worked well though, but I stopped it when starting on the diet).

For the first time ever, I feel like I got it under control. I still have bad moments of course, but now, even if I have breakout, it's normally much milder and doesn't last for that long!

I've kind of refined my diet since I started, so this is what I eat now.

Ground beef (chicken or pork, any meat seems to be fine)
    I usually put lots of olive oil in my food
    I cook with butter (doesn't matter how much, it doesn't seem to affect rosacea)
    tuna (I feel this is one of the "safest" things to eat in any quantity)
    Cheese (lately I've been eating lots of cheese, anything from 500-1000cal of it, and it seems to be fine too, but I have just quit it to see if it makes a difference)
    vegetables: I try to go relatively low carb here also; Brocolli, tomatoes, onions, carrots, spinach(sometimes cabbage).
    Fruit: I've been eating 2-3 apples a day (because they're tasty!). bananas and peaches seem to be fine too.

Just now though as I said, I've quit cheese and that alone made me eat far less calories a day, and the drop in calories could be a reason it has improved even more, but it could also be the fact that my body has adapted to the diet.
    dropping daily could help a lot. But you have to give it time to show; for the healing to happen from the inside out. Butter is dairy, too... try coconut oil for cooking it's soooooo tasty!

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Thanks for tip tip about coconut oil, I've heard only good things about it and I will try it out! Is it rare to find in grocery stores? I can't say that I've looked for it specifically but I haven't seen it next to the olive oil in any store, I think... And is it expensive?

Hi there,

I am in the same boat as you. I have also learned that diet is helping. I am lessening my carbs every day and I have refused topicals so far. It does seem like a nightmare at first, but once you start to feel in control again, it is great. I do not eat dairy, or wheat, and I have not had refined sugar in two months (except a few forkfuls of cupcake on my birthday, but that doesn't count, right? Haha!)

Anyway, I am glad you are feeling better. Just take it one day at a time, that is the only way. Good luck.

Thanks for tip tip about coconut oil, I've heard only good things about it and I will try it out! Is it rare to find in grocery stores? I can't say that I've looked for it specifically but I haven't seen it next to the olive oil in any store, I think... And is it expensive?
    I get my coconut oil on line, it's cheaper. Swansonhealth dot com has a whole bunch of different brands. They have a house brand at a very good price. (It's funny, they have an olive oil, too, but the reviews say it's not very good. Their coconut oil is popular.)

of course, there's a shipping charge on line. So you can compare $ with what you find in shops (health food stores).

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by floridagirl View Post

Hi there,

I am in the same boat as you. I have also learned that diet is helping. I am lessening my carbs every day and I have refused topicals so far. It does seem like a nightmare at first, but once you start to feel in control again, it is great. I do not eat dairy, or wheat, and I have not had refined sugar in two months (except a few forkfuls of cupcake on my birthday, but that doesn't count, right? Haha!)

Anyway, I am glad you are feeling better. Just take it one day at a time, that is the only way. Good luck.
    Thank you. But yeah, I don't think eating one meal with sugar on special occasions will do any harm. But since I've just started, I want to be on the safe side for a bit longer when I can't notice more improvement before I even touch sugar.

Btw, I remember I haven't said anything about the things I ate before my diet. In fact, I already had a strict diet, but it ivolved not eating much sugar, not carbs in general. I was actually eating very much the same as I am now; vegetables, all kinds of meat, butter, olive oil, but I used lot of sour cream(which contains some sugar, not much though), and then I ate oatmeal, at least once a day. And wheat. So I'm very confident it's the grains... How much it got to do with the actual grain or just carbs or a combination of them is hard to say, but it's very clearly doing very good things for me to quit them.

Thank you. But yeah, I don't think eating one meal with sugar on special occasions will do any harm. But since I've just started, I want to be on the safe side for a bit longer when I can't notice more improvement before I even touch sugar.

Btw, I remember I haven't said anything about the things I ate before my diet. In fact, I already had a strict diet, but it ivolved not eating much sugar, not carbs in general. I was actually eating very much the same as I am now; vegetables, all kinds of meat, butter, olive oil, but I used lot of sour cream(which contains some sugar, not much though), and then I ate oatmeal, at least once a day. And wheat. So I'm very confident it's the grains... How much it got to do with the actual grain or just carbs or a combination of them is hard to say, but it's very clearly doing very good things for me to quit them.
    You very well may be gluten-intolerant, as many people are. Gluten is extremely hard on the digestive tract and it sticks like glue to the little villi that absorb the essential vitamins/minerals your body needs. I'm sure genetics play some part in this, but basically some people's bodies really don't like it when gluten is stuck to their insides and start fighting back. Inflammation levels skyrocket as the immune system is activated literally every meal of every day (think: bagels or cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, pasta for dinner - yes, wheat is ubiquitous in the standard american diet). The immune system starts attacking the healthy intestine cells as it tries to fight off the gluten which it hates and then we have IBS and a host of other digestive problems. I'm sure that's what many people are suffering with and they have no idea that simply removing grains and wheat in general will bring them immense relief.
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!