Thread: Anyone else get flare-ups with alcohol but still drink sometimes?

Default Anyone else get flare-ups with alcohol but still drink sometimes?

I do. :-( I would really struggle to give it up. I had no issue quitting totally when I was pregnant, but I LOVE my wine and feel gutted at the thought of never having it again.

I've recently been diagnosed with rosacea and since then I have really cut back on my alcohol and spicy food consumption because it triggers a flare-up. I used to have a glass of wine daily with dinner, now I've limited it to 2 evenings a week.

Does this mean my rosacea is going to get worse? Does anyone else still sometimes drink and find their skin is NOT getting worse?

I've managed to categorize my triggers into short term reaction (lasting several hours) and long term (one or more days). Alcohol, in moderation, seems to be short term, so I can and do indulge on the weekends - 3 or 4 microbrews on Friday and Saturday, sometimes more depending on who I'm with or what I'm doing (home improvement projects require beer). I like the occasional plate of very spicy curry or hot wings, and they also seem to be short term. I have other triggers which have longer reactions, such as milk, tomatoes in any form, caffeine, many vitamins, and oil-based supplements, so I avoid them almost entirely. Long story short, booze is nowhere close to the top of my list of triggers.

If I avoid ALL triggers, I am pale and in remission, but I've achieved a balance, and I'm in a good place. Slight background redness, very little flushing (i.e., I can talk to cashiers and in meetings without turning red), but I still enjoy life.

50mg zinc
    50mg magnesium
    25mg diphenhydramine HCI
    Drink filtered/bottled water only, wash with tepid water/moisturizing soap, Rosacea Care moisturizer, tinted ZincO
    I avoid multi-vitamins and most other high-dose vitamins and supplements, oil-based supplements (like omega 3/6, A, and E), nitrite preservatives, sugar, fruit, milk, alcohol, caffeine, exercising in a warm room

Less is more!

Thank you :-)

So the trick is, take doxycycline 40 mg right before drinking and put on a topical also right before (metrogel or finacea (or both in that order allowing 2 mins in between application to allow the other to dry) followed by moisturizer), and then try to wash face and repeat as soon as you can once you are done drinking, this will limit the amount of inflammation and breakouts.

This is my problem. If I drink my face will be blotchy when I wake up and stay like that all day and show marks the next day.i am now on skinoren and antibiotics along with vitamin E oil. I seem to have red blotchy cheeks even when I am not drinking. DOH.

When the occasion involves drinking, I almost never resist having a drink, as if I didn't know about what is going to happen. But when I start feeling my face heating up, I stop drinking, no matter what. Sometimes I feel a little guilty

I would do anything in the world to get my face back to when I was 25. For me, giving up alcohol wasn't easy either. Hell, it was a hard battle half of my life. But, alcohol is my main trigger besides the sun and cold. Not only is alcohol bad (red wine is the worst, btw) because of the sugar, but it's dehydrating and essentially, a poison.

I of course can't tell you what to do, nor would I (it's your life, live it as you choose ) but from a fellow sufferer to another, I feel it really isn't worth it. Even one glass for me, is several days of hell, it is that much of a trigger for me. I'd much rather look in the mirror when I wake up and not feel more awful than I already do.
    Last edited by Gazek; 12th March 2017 at 11:45 AM.

I have to agree, wine is the worst. But of course my favourite so I really only have a little bit if i feel I can handle it. It usually isn't worth it though.