Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why me?

Quote Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
    And above all else, don't rely on medications. They are a bandaid which poisons from the inside. They make things look better on the outside, but inside they are killing your liver and doing all sorts of damage. They are not the answer.

Just don't give up and remember that there is a solution out there for you, you just have to keep working to find it.

I agree with what Melissa said about putting things in perspective by observing the problems and diseases others around us go through. I am like that, but I do find that I am only susceptible for that when I have my rosacea sort of (half) in check. When I was flushing uncontrollably 24/7, like Mistica described and suffers from as well, I was in utter pain and survival mode and really nothing else mattered or provided perspective. I feels like you are set on fire and keep burning and burning in your face and there is no water to stop the fire. Not even cold packs helped anymore by then, I can truelly say it drove me completely desperate. For me, Christine, diet didnīt do anything anymore at that point. Diet only helps me when I am less bad. I went on for one full year like this, hardly sleeping at night, fans coldpacks, aircoīs and still constant severe flushing and deep deep redness and terrible burning and swelling. I couldnīt take it anymore, and am VERY glad that I finally set myself over my dislike of medication and took the advice from dr Chu and started some meds. They turned matters around from night to day within a week or two. I understand that people with medium severity or people who find relief in natural or diet alterations look down on medication, but for some they are the only life line and I like to point this out. I have liver and kidney check ups every year (I want that myself, my meds donīt require this) and both are in better condition than average according to the doc.

Do others with rosacea ever think about what they would do if they never had R and what would they have done with all of that time spent being preoccupied with thinking about the condition? It would be nice not to have to start thinking about all of the things that may affect my condition as I wake up each morning. Like how showering and shaving often make my skin freak out. Or hoping that it's not sunny and hot so my skin doesn't turn bright red being outside for 10 minutes. All of these little things that most people take for granted.
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by darild View Post
    Do others with rosacea ever think about what they would do if they never had R and what would they have done with all of that time spent being preoccupied with thinking about the condition? It would be nice not to have to start thinking about all of the things that may affect my condition as I wake up each morning. Like how showering and shaving often make my skin freak out. Or hoping that it's not sunny and hot so my skin doesn't turn bright red being outside for 10 minutes. All of these little things that most people take for granted.
    Hi Derek,

Such a cute puppy! But I know he's older now :-)

I think just looking human would have allowed me to have a life.

As I mentioned in another thread, I started blushing in grammar school and it was devastating. But I was a little philosopher and thought I could get over it by putting myself into harm's way -- so I'd raise my hand a lot hoping to harden to the adrenal rush/tachycardia/blushing. But it just didn't work. I lived under this Mark of Cain for decades.

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Default Book

I like the idea of a book to promote awareness of how bad rosacea can really be... good idea Natalja! I have a background in publishing and design by chance as well So many times I go to the doctor and they just act like they've never heard of anyone having these problems. And good for her for trying to help, but Cynthia Nixon just isn't cutting it for me. I mean, does she even have rosacea or is that just sensitive skin? I used to get red after a bath too... this is a different ball game. I see her with a shaved head on talk shows, under hot lights, walking around NYC on sunny hot days... I'd be toast if she had what I have. Anyway, it would be great to put together a realistic, tasteful book filled with our own stories and somehow get it to every dermatologist and researcher out there.

Quote Originally Posted by darild View Post
    Yes. In fact I was living that life when this hit. Pretty painful adjustment I'm going through.

Default Melissa

Oh and I also agree Melissa you are very good at expressing your thoughts! As always, an inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by flushedbean View Post
    I like the idea of a book to promote awareness of how bad rosacea can really be... good idea Natalja! I have a background in publishing and design by chance as well So many times I go to the doctor and they just act like they've never heard of anyone having these problems. And good for her for trying to help, but Cynthia Nixon just isn't cutting it for me. I mean, does she even have rosacea or is that just sensitive skin? I used to get red after a bath too... this is a different ball game. I see her with a shaved head on talk shows, under hot lights, walking around NYC on sunny hot days... I'd be toast if she had what I have. Anyway, it would be great to put together a realistic, tasteful book filled with our own stories and somehow get it to every dermatologist and researcher out there.
    Maybe it would be an idea to have a very well written (Melissa is an awesome writer it seems here) and well published, good looking book about what itīs like to life with rosacea? Raise some awareness and most of all, help people who are struggling in silence and think they are the only ones. Mainly because rosacea can have such a massive impact on your social life, carreer, well your life in general.

Its been my experience that (good looking) teenage and early twenties girls are extremely shallow.oftentimes,i think why would they lower their standards to be with someone who is not attractive.If i never had bad skin im not sure i would have gone with a girl with severe acne/rosacea.
    Iv heard women in their 30s are less shallow.They think more about the man being a good person,having a good career-basically being a suitable father figure.
    We will see

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Anthony, if cute girl had been interested she wouldn't have blurted that out. My DH never, ever noted my redness. Ever.

Have you tried low-carb (I keep hammering! It did so much for me)? I stopped the carbs and as if by a miracle my flushing stopped and my blood pressure normalized and I could talk like a normal person. I used to get very nervous, even though I'd try to force myself to practice talking to "get over it" it didn't work. low -low carbing did. It MIGHT be just having no glucose!! But right now I don't want to get involved with grains, except for the few bits I eat with sushi (after a year and a half of no rice there either).

Why not just cut out WHEAT in all forms and see how you go?

Sorry if you've been there/done that. It's just, well, that it worked so well for me.

G

I just wanted to say thank you for this thread. It really does help to read what everyone has to say. I am new to this forum, just found out yesterday that I have rosacea and seb derm. I was so frightened, still am a little bit, but I am trying so hard to see it all in a positive light. My chronic stress/anxiety levels and the heat of Florida in the summer triggered it for me. I am very keen on changing my diet and trying to be healthier inside and out. I am trying to not look in the mirror all the time. I am hoping that I don't get talked into any prescriptions that will make it worse. If I could, I would take nothing and just see what would happen with dietary changes, mediation and perhaps a visit to a therapist. Would it be silly to expect that to work? I am not a fan of medications of any kind. I want to beat this and not cause myself any further harm with creepy prescriptions. I was given two prescriptions for topical creams and rushed out. I don't want to stay in bed feeling sorry for myself, which is what I have been doing since the initial symptoms began in early July. I want to use this to somehow come out stronger and happier. Maybe I am fooling myself, but there has to be a way to deal with this and still live a happy life. I am a college student and I hope to teach someday. I won't let this get in the way of my goals, my personal happiness or my self confidence. Thanks for listening and thanks for this group. It's nice that other people understand. It is more common than I realized.