Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Demodex?

Quote Originally Posted by mick1234 View Post
    Hi,

I have been suffering from rosacea for a number of years now. Main symptoms are blushing/flushing and paps and postules. The p n p's bothered me the most and mostly affected around the mouth area and the nose. I am now treating these p n p's with organic diet and ZZ cream. The theory is that the demodex mite is the culprit.

My skin has improved greatly but now my eyes are getting worse. They are dry red and irritated along the rim of the eyelid where the eyelashes are. They now water or tear up very easily. They are tearing as I type now and they just look shocking, like ive been out all night taking drugs.

Could it be that now that Im killing the mite on my facial area they are now taking refuge in my eyelashes?

Does anyone have any idea how to treat a potential mite infestation in your eyelids?
    This sounds exactly like me! Lots of p&p mostly mouth nose an chin and now that I have started using TTO they seem to have made a run for my eyes. Did you find anything that worked?

Some useful reigmes on here thanks.
    How have you all got on?

95% sure this is my problem - belphritis, itching face, eyebrow/lash loss, white spikes in pores, red veins on cheeks, burning sensations in waves. Twinges on head & eyebrows. Bouts of tiny pustles that sting like crazy.
    Gp & derm won't consider demodex - so no meds. No access to that main one (solantra I think ??) I might try the zz cream but castor oil & tto seems less scary. I'm worried about buying something unregulated to put on my skin but I do feel reassured when I hear other ppl have used it.
    Thing is ive been using tto in witch hazel for 6 months & still seeing white spikes in every pore. The other symptoms come every few days and last fior a while did any of you have these symptoms
    I've read that the spikes are hyperkeratosis caused by the mites some papers say it's their tails!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    How have you all got on?

95% sure this is my problem - belphritis, itching face, eyebrow/lash loss, white spikes in pores, red veins on cheeks, burning sensations in waves. Twinges on head & eyebrows. Bouts of tiny pustles that sting like crazy.
    Gp & derm won't consider demodex - so no meds. No access to that main one (solantra I think ??) I might try the zz cream but castor oil & tto seems less scary. I'm worried about buying something unregulated to put on my skin but I do feel reassured when I hear other ppl have used it.
    Thing is ive been using tto in witch hazel for 6 months & still seeing white spikes in every pore. The other symptoms come every few days and last fior a while did any of you have these symptoms
    I've read that the spikes are hyperkeratosis caused by the mites some papers say it's their tails!!!
    Just leave your doctors out of this. They are not clued up like we are. You have nothing to worry about regarding ZZ Cream. While TTO can help, it is simply not as effective and causes more issues like redness. ZZ Cream and Soolantra are the most effective. I urge you to take a look through my whole thread for good ZZ Cream info.

Your symptoms sound 100% like a Demodex infestation. You can find out about your white plugs here - Pityriasis Folliculorum- white scales and dead skin build up due to Demodex.

Take a look at Figure 2 here -
    http://medf.nsu.ru/files/%D0%A0%D0%B...0%BA%D1%81.pdf.

Don't get too freaked out.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

How have you all got on?

100% agree with Red Recluse. I had these white plugs in all my pores. I would highly encourage either Soolantra or ZZ cream to rule out demodex infestation.

-M.

Thumbs up

How have you all got on?

Elmo, I developed rosacea January of this year. Thank heavens I found Keisha's and Ezekiel's stories on this forum early on and didn't muck about with any other types of therapy than what they both used: tea tree oil together with a 'carrier' oil, in my case, coconut oil.

The therapy took slightly longer than predicted (in one of Keisha's posts, I think, there's an indication of the expected progression of the therapy which she has conveniently cut and pasted), but as of today (I'm at day 90, or the 13th week) I haven't had a new spot for several weeks, redness from previous spots has virtually disappeared, and my skin is extremely clear and smooth.

Elsewhere in this forum I've given more details regarding what I did and didn't do although please note the important points that whatever I did was simple, inexpensive, readily-available in most places, and flexible. Took some patience, yes, and took some willingness to keep the faith when things decline for a period. But past that? I can't figure out why anyone here wouldn't give it a try!

The theory of demodex being the culprit seems proven to me (although, oddly, in the medical world, only the ophthalmology community seems to completely accept it)(and the veterinarian community). It's also logical: they exist in human skin quite normally but under certain circumstances, their population can increase beyond the ability of our immune systems to keep them in check. Thus they go from being "commensal" organisms (one organism benefits from the other without affecting it) to being "parasites" (one species, the parasite, benefits at the expense of the other, the host). What ZZ cream and Soolantra and tea tree have in common -- which is why they work -- is that they are anti-parasitic.

As for why a population gets out of control, seems to me it's the same way any population in nature suddenly grows: increase in favorable circumstances like availability of food, reduction of defenses, and/or decrease in predators. In the case of demodex, the first two certainly apply. They live off of sebum and the production of sebum can increase with hormonal activity (thus acne in teens, rosacea in middle-aged women?). And stress or illness or general poor health can weaken the body's defenses.

Other types of therapy I'm seeing here and elsewhere seem more aimed at relieving symptoms than eradicating/controlling the root cause. While I buy it that an improved diet could positively affect rosacea, it's only because a poor diet negatively affects overall health and to fight off any illness, the healthier your overall system, the better your chances.

As for skin washing and moisturizing, seems to me that one simply wants to avoid further irritating skin that's already irritated. So whatever your skin likes, whatever soothes and calms, is good. However, the idea that the more they cost, the better they'll work -- that's just wishful thinking!

As for those white spikes being 'tails' I'm confused by the conflicting information circulating. The article RedRecluse provided is really comprehensive and interesting and does support the 'tail' (or back-end) idea, but, supposedly, the mites aren't visible to the naked eye, requiring instead high-powered magnification. So which is it? If those are tails, they shouldn't be visible to us!
    Last edited by Annoula; 12th September 2017 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoula View Post

The theory of demodex being the culprit seems proven to me (although, oddly, in the medical world, only the ophthalmology community seems to completely accept it)(and the veterinarian community). It's also logical: they exist in human skin quite normally but under certain circumstances, their population can increase beyond the ability of our immune systems to keep them in check. Thus they go from being "commensal" organisms (one organism benefits from the other without affecting it) to being "parasites" (one species, the parasite, benefits at the expense of the other, the host). What ZZ cream and Soolantra and tea tree have in common -- which is why they work -- is that they are anti-parasitic.

As for why a population gets out of control, seems to me it's the same way any population in nature suddenly grows: increase in favorable circumstances like availability of food, reduction of defenses, and/or decrease in predators. In the case of demodex, the first two certainly apply. They live off of sebum and the production of sebum can increase with hormonal activity (thus acne in teens, rosacea in middle-aged women?). And stress or illness or general poor health can weaken the body's defenses.

Other types of therapy I'm seeing here and elsewhere seem more aimed at relieving symptoms than eradicating/controlling the root cause. While I buy it that an improved diet could positively affect rosacea, it's only because a poor diet negatively affects overall health and to fight off any illness, the healthier your overall system, the better your chances.

As for skin washing and moisturizing, seems to me that one simply wants to avoid further irritating skin that's already irritated. So whatever your skin likes, whatever soothes and calms, is good. However, the idea that the more they cost, the better they'll work -- that's just wishful thinking!

As for those white spikes being 'tails' I'm confused by the conflicting information circulating. The article RedRecluse provided is really comprehensive and interesting and does support the 'tail' (or back-end) idea, but, supposedly, the mites aren't visible to the naked eye, requiring instead high-powered magnification. So which is it? If those are tails, they shouldn't be visible to us!
    100%.

My understanding is that they are 'visible' to us because there are several tails clumped together, along with debris, etc.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RedRecluse View Post
    100%.

My understanding is that they are 'visible' to us because there are several tails clumped together, along with debris, etc.
    RedRecluse, yes indeed! I just went back to the paper you'd provided and read it carefully, in the process finding exactly what you'd said. I was coming back here to clarify so thanks for doing it for me :-).

Thank you all so much. I am totally grossed out but happy at the same time. I'm on the right path to find a solution.
    Everyday I'm more certain this is my problem.

I'm not sure about tails. In theory it seems plausible maybe a species thats is bigger than usual?? On occasion I've plucked some out & looked under a microscope x60 lens. It just looked like a piece of clear crystal - irregular, some parts smooth & blob like, some parts jagged, hollow when they cuff the hair. I cant see any mites but, maybe they are clumped together - yuk! However nothing moves.

Wish doctors would take me seriously but like you say I need to take it into my own hands.
    I get itchy episodes on my scalp. I use a tea tree shampoo but Is there something else I could be using to kill the mites?

Also whats the XFML cream like? Is it worth a try at the same time as ZZ or is the protocol more like; use XFML if the ZZ doesn't work?

Thank you all so much. I am totally grossed out but happy at the same time. I'm on the right path to find a solution.
    Everyday I'm more certain this is my problem.

I'm not sure about tails. In theory it seems plausible maybe a species thats is bigger than usual?? On occasion I've plucked some out & looked under a microscope x60 lens. It just looked like a piece of clear crystal - irregular, some parts smooth & blob like, some parts jagged, hollow when they cuff the hair. I cant see any mites but, maybe they are clumped together - yuk! However nothing moves.

Wish doctors would take me seriously but like you say I need to take it into my own hands.
    I get itchy episodes on my scalp. I use a tea tree shampoo but Is there something else I could be using to kill the mites?
    Also whats the XFML cream like? Is it worth a try at the same time as ZZ or is the protocol more like; use XFML if the ZZ doesn't work?
    Demodex Solutions also have a shampoo product which you could try.

The XFML Cream's main ingredient is Metronidazole (often prescribed in a gel form for Rosacea). No, it's the recommended moisturiser for use with ZZ Cream, which is very drying. A moisturiser is important, I was personally very dry for 2 weeks until my skin began self-moisturising again. You don't need to specifically buy XFML Cream, use the moisturiser that works for you. I didn't like it much, mainly due to the scent.