Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Demodex?

Default Neem Oil

I tried the Neem Oil twice now. It think it's working better for me than the teatree oil. The smell is a bit strange--but no worse than TTO and no sting!

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    You are very welcome Mike. I just want to add some encouragement about Ocular Rosacea and its symptoms. It's true that it may take time to get your symptoms under control but I can tell you that it is (in my experience) the easiest of the different types of rosacea to get under control. In other words the most successfully treated type of rosacea. I don't have statistics on it but this is an area I know and have experience with.

We are here if you need us- good luck!
    Melissa, thank you for your uplifting perspective! I have been trying to find some some treatment approach that works for my Ocular Rosacea, and I am curious what types of treatment you have seen to be most effective for providing relief and gettting it under control. Thanks for all of your informative posts, Jane F

Default Thank you for that RRDI link

I was finally diagnosed with demodex mites and will begin treatment. I am glad my doctor has finally taken this seriously. Will keep you posted as I have been dealing with flareups since my mid 40's and never understood fully why it coming and going. Life cycle of the mite. Aha !

You are welcome DianaU.

Just read a report about Cliradex and added it to the treatment options suggested here.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Default Can Demodex Mites spread to the body?

After years of battling with Rosacea, I visited a dermatologist who did a skin scraping and confirmed Demodex mites. She gave me 3 prescriptions, but I found thru trial and error, that by far, the most effective treatment is tea tree oil. (I tried Borax, Apple Cider Vinegar, practically everything). I have changed my diet, boosted my immune system, drink 3 quarts of water day, apply deep sea mud masks weekly, and all of this helps! But to actually kill the mite, it's tea tree oil. I wash my face twice a day with a solution mixed in a plastic bottle of 25% pure, cold pressed castor oil, 25% Braggs cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, and 50% Dessert Essence Tea Tree Oil. (NOTE - when I first started using TTO, I only used 5-10 drops and gradually over the course of 2 weeks, increased levels to 50%). I apply this to dry skin and wait 2-3 minutes. Then I scrub rather vigorously with a wash cloth, working the solution deep into the pores in a hot shower, then rinse. After towel drying I apply a day time moisturizer of 50% avocado oil and 50% tea tree oil. For an overnight moisturizer, I mix in a small container 25% castor oil, 25% Barleans coconut oil and 50% tea tree oil. I rub this in with my fingertips for 2-3 minutes, really working it into warm, clean skin. Afterwards, I dab a q-tip of 100% tea tree oil on the worst of the red bumps. I use the wash and moisturizers on my eyes and eye lids and the castor oil feels wonderful. Any stye that is present from the mites clears in a day.

At first, the skin looks worse as the mites die off, but in a week I saw improvement. Skin is much better now (a month into this routine) and I'm still continuing with everything.

My question is, can the demodex mites pop up in other places. My face is showing improvement, but now I have small red dots/bumps on my shins and a fairly large red rash on my forearm. My Dr. said they only live on the face. Just trying to figure out what these arm/leg rashes are from. On top of everything else, I have also developed 2 styes on one eye (TTO cleared them up) and an ear infection. Could all of this be related?

I've been trying neem oil on my lash-line since I was nervous to use TTO. Is the neem oil supposed to sting at all? I must have gotten a little in my eye. I was hoping the sting meant something good (like killing demodex) but I'm paranoid it meant something bad (like blinding myself). Does anyone know if Cliradex requires a prescription?

Quote Originally Posted by janef View Post
    Melissa, thank you for your uplifting perspective! I have been trying to find some some treatment approach that works for my Ocular Rosacea, and I am curious what types of treatment you have seen to be most effective for providing relief and gettting it under control. Thanks for all of your informative posts, Jane F
    You are very welcome Jane. I am sorry I am just seeing this post now. What I find most helpful is gently cleaning your eyelids and lashes with either warm compresses and water or an eyelid cleanser such as Ocusoft. Also depending on what is causing your symptoms (ie MGD, tear film insufficiency, etc) specifies what treatments would work best. Instilling preservative-free rewetting drops often, using prescription meds if necessary (ie Restasis, Azasite) etc. There are many treatments but you need to tailor them to what is causing your symptoms. That link to the dry eye zone is most helpful as well as seeing an eye care professional who knows his/her rosacea diagnosis and treatment regime.

I hope you are doing well and again, sorry for the delayed response. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by MissMary View Post
    I've been trying neem oil on my lash-line since I was nervous to use TTO. Is the neem oil supposed to sting at all? I must have gotten a little in my eye. I was hoping the sting meant something good (like killing demodex) but I'm paranoid it meant something bad (like blinding myself). Does anyone know if Cliradex requires a prescription?
    Hi Mary, I am not familiar with Cliradex but a quick google shows this:
    http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...istent-itching

Just please be careful when doing anything near the eyes. TTO can be dangerous in the eyes so do not get it in your eyes. And make sure you are cleansing with a diluted version if you are using it near the eyes or anywhere on the face for that matter. But do not get it in your eyes. Same for anything you are using near the eyes. Do not get it in the eyes.

Best,
    Melissa

Default Crotamiton

Crotamiton and permithrin(?) cream are believed to be good demodex killers. I believe that the Crotamiton cream is also very mild (non steroid).

Default Eyelid Scrubs with Tea Tree Oil

Quote Originally Posted by mick1234 View Post
    Thank you to you both Melissa and Brady, most helpful.

I will look into the tea tree oil as a potential solution although I may use it as plan b or c if there is any undue risk when using it. I will also investigate those lid scrubs and begin warm compresses. That will be my plan A for now. I will also look into those links you highlighted. My research starts here

It's unfortunate from reading other posts that there doesn't seem to be a cure for this eye problem similar to the PnP's. No one can seem to get to the heart of the matter but rather follow a continuous process of ameliorating symptoms. I suppose it's something Ill just learn to get used to.

Thank you again for the info, very much appreciated!

Mike
    Hi Mike,

I'm suffering from the same thing..atypical rosacea..aka demodectic rosacea with bad ocular symptoms. I've found a lot of good reviews of an eyelid scrub called Cliradex made with tea tree oil. http://www.ocularsurface.com/ You can only get it from doctor's office and I'm currently looking for a doctor who believes in existence of demodex.