Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm not sunburnt, honest!

Default I'm not sunburnt, honest!

Hi everyone.

I've been suffering from Seborrhoeic Dermatitis since puberty (I'm now nearly 36).
    When I was younger, it was primarily in my scalp, and I must have tried every different type of medicated shampoo going to try to clear the embarrassing red marks from my head. I finally found that good old Head and Shoulders (I use the one for sensitive skin) worked wonders, and pretty much got it under control on my scalp.

The main problems in recent years have been my nose, cheeks, forehead and ears (both behind my ears and inside them).
    I have been using a topical steroid for years, but after reading through some of the posts on this forum, I won't be using it again.
    I'm very interested to try the raw honey and virgin coconut oil treatment but, unfortunately, I can't find them here in Dubai (health/nutrition shops don't seem to sell them). My wife managed to buy me 100% pure honey today (same thing?), but the only coconut oil I can find is pure coconut oil.
    Interestingly, I normally find that the sunshine helps my skin. What usually happens is that it flares up badly for a few days, then pretty much disappears. However, I've recently emigrated to Dubai from the UK and, having been here for 5 months now, my skin is as bad as ever.

I am currently in the middle of a flare up. I was recommended some products from a lady in Boots (the chemist chain). The products are "Herbline Essentials Ayurvedic Science". One was a moisturiser (a green gel) and the other was a face and body wash. I stopped using the Head and Shoulders, and after a week I started getting flare-ups on my scalp again. This has spread to my temples and cheeks too. I stopped using the Herbline stuff, as I wasn't convinced. The only benefit I found from them was that the moisturiser helped stop the itchiness, but wasn't "wet" enough to keep me feeling moisturised throughout the day. The moisturiser contained Aloe Vera and Honey.

It's really getting me down, because I meet a lot of people because of my job, and first impressions can make a big difference. It knocks my confidence when I have a flare-up, and I'm just really, REALLY, fed up with it.

I've even noticed that if I don't shave for a few days, the stubble makes my face itchy, and I get flare-ups around my chin. I'm now having to shave more often, but the act of shaving can also irritate any red areas.

I've attached a pic to demonstrate, but it's not a very good one. Apologies for the "black bar" across my eyes, but I'm not very comfortable with posting pics of my self on the internet.

Anyway, I hope to find out a lot more about potential treatments from this site, and will update you all on any progress I make.

Thanks for reading, and sorry my first post was more like a novella
    Attached Images
    Last edited by EnergyLab; 1st July 2012 at 09:23 AM.

Since you're in the UK, Energy, you can get Australian manuka honey. I bought a jar at Boots on sale last year and I still have 1/3 of a jar left. I use it in rotation with other facial masks. The trick of manuka raw honey is that it contains hydrogen peroxide. This gently kills off surface bacteria, and to an extent works on demodex mites.

http://manukahoney.com/resources/res...ound-care.html

I found the big guns in the war against rosacea mites (demodex) are change in diet, hydrogen peroxide, borax powder and ivermectin.

Unfortunately, you may be a little stuck in the UK for the hp, borax and ivermectin. My isp is in the US, so it knows where I am and I can't google as deeply as you can to find these products. I've seen where you can order borax from Turkey. And you may be able to get ivermectin from a farm supply store (it's used to treat cattle, horses, swine, and domestic animals...). You would use it topically. Ivermectin is used to treat mange.

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Ghost I just read your bio (the longest version) and you've inspired me. Im in the UK but going to try and track down hp, borax and inv :-)

Hi Ghost

Thanks for your response, and the information you provided.
    Just to clarify, I live in Dubai now (I moved here from the UK)

I saw Manuka honey in the supermarket. It was about 5 times the price of other honey, but I don't mind paying if it works.
    So, would I still need to add 10% water to Manuka honey?
    I tried my first honey mask last night. The stuff my wife bought still had pieces of the honeycomb in, so hopefully it's the correct "raw" honey. It was a bit messy (maybe used too much water?) and afterwards my red patches were REALLY red, but I must say it's calmed down a LOT this morning. I bought more Herbline Essentials Aloe Vera & Honey Hydra 5 Gel yesterday, so will apply that during the day whenever I feel itchy or dry.

I've also stopped putting Head and Shoulders shampoo on my face. I also used to use a scrub mitt to scrub my face (to remove the dead/dry skin), which I've also stopped doing. A revelation for me whilst reading posts on this site was regarding avoiding hot water on your face in the shower. A simple change but one that, looking back, makes perfect sense.

I've also begun a healthy eating kick this week, so will be avoiding alcohol and eating lots of fresh veg. I never add salt to my food, and we always cook from scratch when eating healthily, so I don't eat a lot of sat fat.

I'll update with my progress in a week or so.

Thanks again.

Energy,

Never added water to the honey. I don't know where you got that info from.

Re diet -- the most successful has been the paleo diet, which isn't difficult to follow. You eat close to nature. No processed foods (especially no breads, cakes, pastas -- anything to do with flour and sugar). Look up paleo diet on line, you'll find lots of info. Learn about fat, too. It's not the enemy.

Something else you might find out there is tea tree oil. This comes from Australia. I just used it straight, but I'm wild. You can cut it with another oil like almond oil. Tea tree oil (tto) is effective against mites.

Head and shoulders shampoo is fine if it's the one with pyrethrin. There are other shampoos and soaps out there (tto ones, too!) that can help. Sometimes the label is in code. "Purify" is a big code word, so look for that and then review the ingredients.

You might look at pet shampoos and other animal products that are formulated to kill pests.

I don't know why but we humans with pest infestations are left twisting in the wind while derms and drug cos sell us expensive treatments and chemicals that do nothing against rosacea.

OK, I do know why -- pimples are big business. Where would derms be if suddenly everybody's acne was history?

it can be and it's cheap to do so, moreover it's good for you.

Have you read what I wrote in my about me section?? It's all there.

G

I've procrastinated and not looked into buying these products. Now Im lying in bed with an itchy face and imagining demodex mites having a party

Hi EnergyLab, welcome to the RF.
    Not sure if you checked this sticky out but it contains lots of useful info.

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...in-coconut-oil

Good luck!

Best,
    Melissa

Thanks for all your comments, folks. Very much appreciated

@Ghost,

I was adding honey as it mentions this in the sticky that Melissa has linked to:

Mix raw honey with 10% room temperature non-chlorinated water and apply this to your face, ears and scalp.
    So should I not be mixing the honey with water? I'm now confused
    Anyway, it's probably time I gave a quick progress report.

I've applied the honey mask 4 times now.
    Initially, it made my face worse. But then, up until yesterday, it had:

• Cleared up all redness and dry skin behind and under my ears
    • Cleared up all the redness on both sides of my face (essentially, where my sideburns/beard would be)
    • Made a huge difference to the skin on my nose
    • Cleared up all the dryness and itching from my eyebrows

Unfortunately, yesterday I noticed a large red patch between my nose and eye. I also had some redness and itchiness return on my nose and cheeks. I've given it some thought, and I think it's due to me wearing sunglasses. The redness is hidden when I put my sunglasses on, so I think the mites or fungus or whatever it is might have either transferred to my sunglasses, or the sunglasses are irritating my skin where they touch my face.
    This could be a big problem, as wearing sunglasses is a necessity here because it's so bright and sunny. I carefully washed my sunglasses this morning, and bought some new creams to try from a local Chemist, as my face was VERY itchy today. The first one is called "Lipobase", and is an emollient. It made my face REALLY shiny, but I rubbed it in more, and the shininess subsided. It stopped the itching and stopped my skin looking so dry and flaky. The second one is Bepanthen, which I haven't tried yet. The chemist said it was more likely to help my skin.
    She tried to sell me a topical steroid at first, but I had to explain I was avoiding using them now.

Has anyone had any experience of any of the above products?

Thanks.

Sorry, that should read "I was adding water", not honey.

Quote Originally Posted by EnergyLab View Post
    Sorry, that should read "I was adding water", not honey.
    Energy, if adding water is working for you, that's great. I think water might help release the hp in the honey. I found I honey I have is runny, so maybe it's full of its own water? Using it does seem to "refine" my skin. I never heard of those 2 creams you mention. But I think anything with "lipo" sounds like it's going to be emollient and good for your skin barrier.

Thing is, the chemist may not know a thing about mites and think your redness is due to a normal sort of irritation, not chronic mite infestation.

Can you get teatree oil? put a little on the red spots over night.

Windex is reputed as being a good mite killer on surfaces (the blue window cleaner). But I don't know if it's good for glasses if your frames are plastic or if metal and electocoated. Maybe you can just sink your glasses in soapy (handsoap) water for several hours or over night. It should drown the buggers.

For more info on the products you bought, just google them up!

G