Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How I got my demodex infestation under control - try this method!

Default How I got my demodex infestation under control - try this method!

Hi all. I found out that the persistent rash I had on the left side of my cheek was none other than demodex mites. It was caused by some old makeup which had been contaminated with demodex and I had continued to apply it to my face. However, I'm sure I had demodex before that, just in smaller quantities, since I do have rosacea. I have had the rash for over 8 months and it eventually got to the point where there was a vivid red patch on my left cheek and it itched frequently with new papules coming up every day which itched like crazy - almost like hives. I also had enlarged pores and the rash actually moved around my face. Like, it would start spreading downward and then the uppermost part of the rash would heal. All signs clearly pointed to demodex. I actually did try some very mild steroid cream on the rash because my wedding was coming up and I didn't want this horrific red rash on my face for my wedding pictures. However, the cream just made it MORE itchy and didn't help at all with the redness. This also points to demodex since steroids would calm the immune system which would allow the demodex mites to thrive. Needless to say, I stopped the cream immediately when I found it wasn't working. I also threw away my old cream makeup and went with mineral makeup, which demodex cannot survive in since it is a dry powder. Demodex eats oils.

I spent many nights researching how to beat them and of course tried Ghost's borax rendition. However, I did not do the oral treatment since I wasn't sure how I would react to the ivermectin and not really sure how to buy it anyway. I found the borax too difficult to do since it was so hard for me to sleep with that crusty mask on my face all night long and found it was a pain to put on and mix up. And I found out that tea tree oil is much much too harsh for my face straight up. I had to come up with another way to beat these demodex.

While reading, I found out that there are a few substances that are lethal to demodex. One of them is, of course, is tea tree oil. Another one is sulfur. Sulfur is actually the active ingredient in 'Prosacea'. However, 'Prosacea' only consists of about 1% sulfur, which is far too little to combat an active demodex infestation. I also knew that demodex causes mange in dogs, so I looked up mange and it's possible cures.

While researching, I came upon this product -> http://www.kenspets.com/product_imag...26531_zoom.jpg Pierce's All-purpose Nu-Stock cream. It is a product intended for animals, yes. However, I was willing to try anything to get relief from my rash and review after review stated that this effectively cured mange even when medications did not. I proceeded to look at the ingredients and found out that it only contains three ingredients - sulfur 73% (miticide), pine oil 2% (another miticide) and mineral oil 25% (inert carrier oil). None of these ingredients are harmful to humans so I thought 'what the heck' and went ahead and bought it. I think it only cost me $15 or something like that for a 12 oz tube of it (bought it from Amazon, but many places sell it). I did read in the reviews that the cream stinks, and it does. It's not intended for humans and as such does not have any perfumes or chemicals to make it smell nice. In other words, it is pure and only has what is necessary to do the job. The high sulfur content makes it smell like rotting eggs and the pine oil makes it smell faintly like Pine-Sol. It is also yellowish in color due to the high sulfur content. At this point I couldn't care less about smelling nice, so when I first got it, I went ahead and put some on. Whoops. Too harsh for facial use straight up and kinda made my skin hurt. However, I had a good feeling about the cream since it had such a high content of sulfur and another miticide on top of that. I had been using some zinc cream on my rash in an attempt to clear it up. It didn't clear up, but zinc cream was soothing and didn't make things worse, so I went ahead and mixed the zinc cream with the Nu-Stock, about a 50-50 ratio. I simply put a squeeze of zinc oxide on a plate or surface for mixing, took a little Nu-Stock on my finger that about matched the amount of zinc cream and blended them together.That did the trick and was not too harsh for my face. It also drastically cut down on the 'rotten egg' smell of the Nu-Stock. I also went a step further and added 1 drop only of tea tree oil to the sulfur/zinc cream and mixed it in before applying. Now I had three ingredients in there which wreak havoc on any hapless demodex which dares come to the surface. It was not too harsh for my sensitive skin AND it stayed where I wanted it to stay since it is a thick cream. The tto also masked the smell of the Nu-Stock entirely so all it smells like is tto (a better smell than rotting eggs, imo).

I found out that it is not that beneficial to put it on during the day since the mites are under the surface of the skin during the day and only surface after dark. So before bed, or when my face felt itchy at all after dark, I would carpet-bomb the entire area with the Nu-Stock/zinc oxide/tea tree oil cream and overlapping into healthy skin in case they try to run to safer ground. Every night, there was a spot or two which itched intensely and I knew that a mite had surfaced and was caught in the cream and squirming around dying. If I had to scratch it, I just smeared some more cream on top of that area to keep it covered. I also went to bed with it on. If you can sleep on your back, great news. If not, just use an old pillowcase and get a clean one every few days or so. During the day, I didn't put anything on to allow my skin to breathe and settle.

I did this and I would say in less than one week, my face was no longer itching, I was not getting any more 'hives' and even the deep lumps (nests, I know now what they were), which were there for 8 MONTHS are now gone. The demodex did so much damage to my skin that I still have a little residual scarring in that area but I know that the cream has gotten the demodex under control. I have not done the cream for a while now, but I'm thinking of using it every two or three days at bedtime now as a precaution and since I still have some enlarged pores I might still have some demodex creeping around. However, I know that this was an amazingly effective way to get an extreme demodex infestation under control without being overly harsh to the facial skin. This method uses three ingredients known for their miticide properties (sulfur, pine oil and tea tree oil). So even if some mites are resistant to one of the ingredients, I doubt they will be resistant to all three.

I would say that for all three of the purchased items for this method (Nu-Stock, tea tree oil and zinc oxide cream), should not cost more than $30. This is super cheap compared to many medications and prescriptions out there and the Nu-Stock tube is HUGE. I think it will last me for many years.

Anyhow, if you are suffering from demodex mites, I encourage you to try this method. If you do, please post and let me know how it is working for you.
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

that is great to hear! What brand of Zinc Oxide Cream do you use? Also, you should consider mixing in some coconut oil as well.
    Doug

Red face

Hi Christine,

Interesting info.

Weird how you can buy this for your pets, and how you can buy ivermectin for them, too, but you cannot find it as a "people product".

Anyway -- hope it's working really well!!! Please keep us up-to-date

I just want to say that the borax/hp mix should not be crusty! After you mix it you must put it through a paper coffee filter and that removes 99% of the grit and just leaves in the borax that is in solution.

There is plenty of borax in solution. If you let your prepared bottle of borax/hp sit for a week on the shelf without disturbing it you'll find a lot of the borax has come out of solution and sunk to the bottom of the bottle. So, always shake it up. Shake it daily even if you're not using it right then.

Next, keep the solution is the dark. Mine is in a cobalt blue bottle in the med cabinet.

Always nice reading your posts, Christine.

Stay well.

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Cool regarding itchy horses

P.S. I just read a brief "itchy horse" thread and people were using ivermectin, bug balm and such. One person said Vicks vapor rub got rid of the itches on his animal's belly.

Are the Nu-stock ingredients similar to those in Vicks? I couldn't find an ingredients page for Nu-stock (but I found the itchy horse thread by searching for [ingredient list]).

I have used Vicks successfully for nascent pimples. Very good to take a tube while travelling -- great for stuffy nose, shin splints, ache relief AND as a beauty balm (just use carefully).

P.P. S. I was looking for Bug Balm + horses and found instead Belly Balm (I think that's what the person must have been referring to). It's all natural. Even if you don't give a fig about another product you must click this link just to see the label on the container, if you're an animal lover at all:

http://www.tail-tamer.com/shop/horse...ies/belly-balm

:-)

PPPS Here is the itchy horse thread, since I know you all want to see it:

http://members2.boardhost.com/baen/m...304191846.html

G
    Last edited by Ghost; 28th June 2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added more stuff!
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Thanks Christine for sharing this interesting find.
    Would you happen to know if you can find Nu stock in pet stores? I would be curious to see if this product can help with my itchy red spots?

Lesley

mrsmoof: I use the Fougera Zinc Oxide ointment. It consists of Zinc oxide, mineral oil, white petrolatum and white wax. Nothing else in there so it's very pure. I've heard of coconut oil being good as an antibacterial/anti-fungal. Is it considered a miticide as well? The only downside with the zinc oxide ointment is that it is a pain to clean off. Apparently just some good scrubbing with soap should be enough, but it seems to stick to me like glue. I imagine any kind of zinc oxide cream will work as long as it doesn't have an ingredient list a mile long. The purer the better.

Ghost: I know - I am starting to believe more and more that dermatologists have no intention of curing us rosaceans because we generate so much money for them! Obviously someone has connected beating demodex with sulfur/various miticidal oils since Nu-Stock is in existence and yet try to find any product with any beneficial amount of these ingredients in them for humans and nada. That's why I'm so glad we have these forums.

I still have absolutely no itchies or bumps coming up in that area! Oh, such a relief from just a little while ago even though I haven't used the cream recently. That has got to prove that it was indeed a 'cure' to my insufferable rash since it set the demodex back so far my body can now keep them under control by itself. But if not, and I see signs of the rash surfacing again, I'll just whip out my trusty creams and knock them dead.

I'm not really sure what I was doing wrong with the borax. Maybe I was using too much? I was trying to saturate the HP with borax, but I found that when the solution dried on my face it turned crusty and white and hard. Obviously residue of the borax on the surface of my face. At any rate, I'm glad the borax was able to work for you and I know that for the time I did try it, the demodex didn't like it since the papules actually spread out in all directions, like the mites were trying to flee a warzone. I would have continued if it wasn't so hard to sleep. Oh well. As long as the demodex are dead, that's all that matters.

Here is the official website for Nu-Stock -> http://www.nustock.com/

The ingredients in Nu-Stock are simply sulfur, pine oil and mineral oil, so I don't think it's the same as Vicks, other than the mineral oil which both have. I'm guessing that the menthol oil in Vicks is another miticidal oil, but am not 100% sure on that. Most potent oils are miticidal to some extent. Unfortunately at high doses these oils are also irritants or even poisonous, so care must be taken to dosage and carrier methods.

Lesley: I would guess your best bet to find Nu-Stock in stores is if it's a store dedicated to livestock or horses. You may be able to go to a normal pet store and ask for it, but I think the chances of finding it there is less. You may be able to special order it from them if they don't have it though, so try printing out a product sheet of Nu-Stock and seeing if they are able to order it in for you. Other than that, if you don't mind ordering online, I find that is the easiest way to do it, although you may have to pay more for shipping to Canada. I read somewhere that in Ontario Nu-Stock was bought at a Coop/feed store, so you may find it in a store somewhere. Good luck!
    Last edited by christine123; 29th June 2012 at 07:26 PM.

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

Lesley: One more thing: If you eventually have to buy it online from the States, make sure the place you buy from will ship it by USPS. If they ship UPS, you will pay a crapload in brokerage fees for 'importing' the item.

[QUOTE=christine123;270664]Lesley: One more thing: If you eventually have to buy it online from the States, make sure the place you buy from will ship it by USPS. If they ship UPS, you will pay a crapload in brokerage fees for 'importing' the item. [/QUOTE

Wow, thank you Christine. I will order it online it seems easier.

I have been using zz cream for 6 months, and my skin appearance is great for the most part. I just get this unpredictable itchy spots, then change location but isolated to the face. I find it fascinating how you discovered something and seen results in 7 days.

Thanks for posting about this. I am trying both this, and Ghost's/Ted's remedy... Metrogel hasn't done a damn thing.

Something has got to clear up my forehead papules and pistules and whatever they're called or spelled like. Nothing works. 7 weeks on Metrogel. Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
    Hi all. I found out that the persistent rash I had on the left side of my cheek was none other than demodex mites. It was caused by some old makeup which had been contaminated with demodex and I had continued to apply it to my face. However, I'm sure I had demodex before that, just in smaller quantities, since I do have rosacea. I have had the rash for over 8 months and it eventually got to the point where there was a vivid red patch on my left cheek and it itched frequently with new papules coming up every day which itched like crazy - almost like hives. I also had enlarged pores and the rash actually moved around my face. Like, it would start spreading downward and then the uppermost part of the rash would heal. All signs clearly pointed to demodex. I actually did try some very mild steroid cream on the rash because my wedding was coming up and I didn't want this horrific red rash on my face for my wedding pictures. However, the cream just made it MORE itchy and didn't help at all with the redness. This also points to demodex since steroids would calm the immune system which would allow the demodex mites to thrive. Needless to say, I stopped the cream immediately when I found it wasn't working. I also threw away my old cream makeup and went with mineral makeup, which demodex cannot survive in since it is a dry powder. Demodex eats oils.

I spent many nights researching how to beat them and of course tried Ghost's borax rendition. However, I did not do the oral treatment since I wasn't sure how I would react to the ivermectin and not really sure how to buy it anyway. I found the borax too difficult to do since it was so hard for me to sleep with that crusty mask on my face all night long and found it was a pain to put on and mix up. And I found out that tea tree oil is much much too harsh for my face straight up. I had to come up with another way to beat these demodex.

While reading, I found out that there are a few substances that are lethal to demodex. One of them is, of course, is tea tree oil. Another one is sulfur. Sulfur is actually the active ingredient in 'Prosacea'. However, 'Prosacea' only consists of about 1% sulfur, which is far too little to combat an active demodex infestation. I also knew that demodex causes mange in dogs, so I looked up mange and it's possible cures.

While researching, I came upon this product -> http://www.kenspets.com/product_imag...26531_zoom.jpg Pierce's All-purpose Nu-Stock cream. It is a product intended for animals, yes. However, I was willing to try anything to get relief from my rash and review after review stated that this effectively cured mange even when medications did not. I proceeded to look at the ingredients and found out that it only contains three ingredients - sulfur 73% (miticide), pine oil 2% (another miticide) and mineral oil 25% (inert carrier oil). None of these ingredients are harmful to humans so I thought 'what the heck' and went ahead and bought it. I think it only cost me $15 or something like that for a 12 oz tube of it (bought it from Amazon, but many places sell it). I did read in the reviews that the cream stinks, and it does. It's not intended for humans and as such does not have any perfumes or chemicals to make it smell nice. In other words, it is pure and only has what is necessary to do the job. The high sulfur content makes it smell like rotting eggs and the pine oil makes it smell faintly like Pine-Sol. It is also yellowish in color due to the high sulfur content. At this point I couldn't care less about smelling nice, so when I first got it, I went ahead and put some on. Whoops. Too harsh for facial use straight up and kinda made my skin hurt. However, I had a good feeling about the cream since it had such a high content of sulfur and another miticide on top of that. I had been using some zinc cream on my rash in an attempt to clear it up. It didn't clear up, but zinc cream was soothing and didn't make things worse, so I went ahead and mixed the zinc cream with the Nu-Stock, about a 50-50 ratio. I simply put a squeeze of zinc oxide on a plate or surface for mixing, took a little Nu-Stock on my finger that about matched the amount of zinc cream and blended them together.That did the trick and was not too harsh for my face. It also drastically cut down on the 'rotten egg' smell of the Nu-Stock. I also went a step further and added 1 drop only of tea tree oil to the sulfur/zinc cream and mixed it in before applying. Now I had three ingredients in there which wreak havoc on any hapless demodex which dares come to the surface. It was not too harsh for my sensitive skin AND it stayed where I wanted it to stay since it is a thick cream. The tto also masked the smell of the Nu-Stock entirely so all it smells like is tto (a better smell than rotting eggs, imo).

I found out that it is not that beneficial to put it on during the day since the mites are under the surface of the skin during the day and only surface after dark. So before bed, or when my face felt itchy at all after dark, I would carpet-bomb the entire area with the Nu-Stock/zinc oxide/tea tree oil cream and overlapping into healthy skin in case they try to run to safer ground. Every night, there was a spot or two which itched intensely and I knew that a mite had surfaced and was caught in the cream and squirming around dying. If I had to scratch it, I just smeared some more cream on top of that area to keep it covered. I also went to bed with it on. If you can sleep on your back, great news. If not, just use an old pillowcase and get a clean one every few days or so. During the day, I didn't put anything on to allow my skin to breathe and settle.

I did this and I would say in less than one week, my face was no longer itching, I was not getting any more 'hives' and even the deep lumps (nests, I know now what they were), which were there for 8 MONTHS are now gone. The demodex did so much damage to my skin that I still have a little residual scarring in that area but I know that the cream has gotten the demodex under control. I have not done the cream for a while now, but I'm thinking of using it every two or three days at bedtime now as a precaution and since I still have some enlarged pores I might still have some demodex creeping around. However, I know that this was an amazingly effective way to get an extreme demodex infestation under control without being overly harsh to the facial skin. This method uses three ingredients known for their miticide properties (sulfur, pine oil and tea tree oil). So even if some mites are resistant to one of the ingredients, I doubt they will be resistant to all three.

I would say that for all three of the purchased items for this method (Nu-Stock, tea tree oil and zinc oxide cream), should not cost more than $30. This is super cheap compared to many medications and prescriptions out there and the Nu-Stock tube is HUGE. I think it will last me for many years.

Anyhow, if you are suffering from demodex mites, I encourage you to try this method. If you do, please post and let me know how it is working for you.

Dear All

@Christine, thank's for sharing your method.
    If I hadn't started and cured my P&P with the ZZ Cream 8 weeks ago, I would have tried your cure.
    But for the moment I stick to the Zz Cream.

Regarding Derms and Pharma I also got the impression that they are interested in not curing Rosazea. I had my Rosazea for 21 years and spend a lot of monney for useless or even damaging medications prescribed by Derms.
    And now with The Zz cream my skin is clear.

Regards

Claudine