Thread: Tea tree oil vs. Metronidazole (oral form) for demodex?

Question Tea tree oil vs. Metronidazole (oral form) for demodex?

So, I've been on clindamycin and Metro Gel for about 2 months. Really, it hasn't done anything. Redness might be slightly better but the demodex is still clearly an issue.

My doctor called in some metronidazole and warned me about some scary side effects (headaches, neurological stuff, becoming violently ill with alcohol which is easy enough to avoid), so naturally I'm pretty hesitant to use it. However, I'm going to if what I'm doing now doesn't work.

I've heard that Tea Tree Oil can have amazing effects on demodex, so I'm using the HerbPharm stuff and giving it a whirl for a few days, seeing what happens.

I'm on day 2 and so far not much, as I expected.

Have any of you tried tea tree oil? Any success? I would seriously love to not spend 20 minutes a day putting on makeup. Hoping something will work soon. I was tested for lupus too, but luckily that came back negative.

thanks in advance.

okay, so I'm on day 4 of the tea tree oil. the demodex bumps i put the oil on have COMPLETELY gone down! I haven't had that luck with either medication I was taking.

now if I can find a good moisturizer for my cheeks, we'll be all set.

Are you using the tea tree on each bump individually? I ask because I believe it does work well and speeds up healing of papules, etc. But the thing with this is that is extremely drying. At least it is for me. As for a moisturizer, there are countless. You might consider something that is organic and chemical free so as not to further irritate the skin.
    Maude

Quote Originally Posted by taralara View Post
    So, I've been on clindamycin and Metro Gel for about 2 months. Really, it hasn't done anything. Redness might be slightly better but the demodex is still clearly an issue.

My doctor called in some metronidazole and warned me about some scary side effects (headaches, neurological stuff, becoming violently ill with alcohol which is easy enough to avoid), so naturally I'm pretty hesitant to use it. However, I'm going to if what I'm doing now doesn't work.
    Are you aware that Metrogel IS metronidazole?

Quote Originally Posted by davem81 View Post
    Are you aware that Metrogel IS metronidazole?
    I am...but they wanted to give it to me in the oral form instead of topical.

so far, it looks like the tea tree oil is doing a bang-up job of getting rid of the demodex bumps. literally drying them up overnight. my skin actually doesn't seem too dry, but the redness is not getting any better.