Thread: stomach acid imbalance and stress!

Default stomach acid imbalance and stress!

Hey group! I just read something very interesting for those of you who suspect a stomach acid imbalance! Here is a quote from naturopathconnect:

"Chronic stress and negative thinking can literally “upset” the digestive system. Over time, stress can cause serious damage to the digestive system, in the form of ulcers and hypochlorhydria."

Just thought this was interesting

Quote Originally Posted by beccabear122 View Post
    Hey group! I just read something very interesting for those of you who suspect a stomach acid imbalance! Here is a quote from naturopathconnect:

"Chronic stress and negative thinking can literally “upset” the digestive system. Over time, stress can cause serious damage to the digestive system, in the form of ulcers and hypochlorhydria."

Hi Beccabear,

That's very interesting, I agree. I notice when I am more stressed out, my heartburn flares up.. so I totally agree that stress can cause serious damage to the digestive system. I think that's why a lot of stressed out people get ulcers too!!

"Chronic stress and negative thinking can literally “upset” the digestive system. Over time, stress can cause serious damage to the digestive system, in the form of ulcers

I think this is true. Also, in Traditional Chinese Medicine, the lungs and gut correspond to the skin.
    Of course stress exacerbates all weaknesses in the body.
    Healing really has to be dealt with in a very holistic way to be effective. And attitude is a huge component, I believe.
    Personally, i have found the diet component for balancing the Digestive acids to be proper probiotics. I use kefir and fermented veggies ( aka raw sauerkraut ). These have made a remarkable difference for me.
    Last edited by DianaLynn; 28th May 2012 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beccabear122 View Post

im taking hcl supplements for low stomach acid. these and staying off the nicorette and cigs is making a 70% difference to my skin i used to think that i was getting nicotine flushing but in retrospect i think it was actually causing stomach gut probs. 8 weeks off nicorette and on hcl supplements. also started using darkartin antifungal foot powder for seb derm in last week and this has made about a big diff also . havent had skin burning since. since goes red but no burn. as their is no burn redness not as bad and fades quicker. have seb derm and rosacea

My multi has digestive enzymes in it -I take daily for years.

Recently I added hcl and accilidus. Not sure if it'd helping.

I love plain yogurt ..but apparently its a trigger.

Yes, of course its interesting indeed. I have also heard from my local doctor that stress can affect our digestive system. Actually I have a constipation problem little bit, so when I talked to my doctor for my problem he advised me to change my life style. He suggested to drink more water, avoid drinking water after meal, don't skip a meal, and do some walking after dinner. This really worked for me and now I have a healthy stomach.

I completely agree with stress upsetting the digestive system as well as other areas. Stress translates negative effects throughout the body IMO. Ofc the million dollar question is how to avoid stress and I think the answer is in how we react to stressful situations. Stress is a part of life so we cannot avoid it entirely and all stress is not bad. But chronic consuming stress is bad and trying to control our reaction to difficult situations is what we can take charge of as we cannot always control the situation that causes the stress-but rather how we react and deal with it. If that makes sense.

To that end meditation, yoga and exercise might be helpful as well as changing one's mindset as to how we feel in negative/stressful situations. It may be difficult but it can be done.

Just wanted to add that eating healthfully and getting enough sleep while easier said than done also helps us deal with stress in a more positive way. The stronger we are emotionally and physically the better and the 2 feed off each other.