Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosacea and Omeprazole/low stomach acid?

Default Rosacea and Omeprazole/low stomach acid?

Hello all,
    I'm male, 31, reasonably fit and healthy. About 15 months ago I noticed the skin around my sideburns had gone red - at first I thought it was just a shaving rash or something, but it didn't go away, and over the next few months it began spreading to my forehead and then across my nose. Since then the condition has developed into papules/pimples across virtually my whole face and, if left untreated, I generally look like I've got really bad sunburn. My flushing mechanism has also gone haywire. My GP suggested it was some kind of dermatitis and prescribed me Eumovate steroid cream, which initially seemed to do a reasonable job of at least keeping the flare-up of the papules at bay, but the general redness didnt shift all that much. I've since been referred to a dermatologist, who continued down the dermatitis route and has prescribed me Tacrolimus as a steroid alternative (which doesnt seem to be particularly effective).

However, after reading up on rosacea symptoms and how it starts and progresses, I'm becoming increasingly suspicious that I've been mis-diagnosed and that I do in fact have rosacea instead of a dermatitis. All my symptoms seem to fit. If it does turn out to be rosacea I'm going to have to stop the steroid cream pretty fast, which I'm not looking forward to as my face flares up pretty badly whenever I stop for more than a few days.

About 2/3 months before I first noticed my skin redness, I began taking Omeprazole for a stomach reflux problem that I also have. I hadn't really thought of any potential link between the two things until now, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar things upon taking omeprazole, or any stomach acid-reducing medication? And any suggestions for good rosacea face-washes/non-prescription treatments would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Hello.
    There could definitely be a link between ppi's (omeprazole, nexium,...) and rosacea, because suppressing stomach acid will interfere with absorption, let undigested food reach the intestine, and let pathogens come into the gut.
    Stomach acid is needed to form pepsin, an enzyme that degrades proteins. Undigested food will cause allergies, and imbalance of bacteria.
    It can cause inflammation by this way.

Acid reflux is not linked to TOO MUCH acid, but LOW stomach acid, which leads to a fermentation in the stomach, producing gas that pushes on the low oesophagal sphincter, and travels through the oesophagus, carrying acid traces and burning the wall.
    What you need to do is to add some ACID sources when you eat, like apple cider vinegar (a spoon in water), or sauerkraut juice (it exists in bottle).
    When you have heartburn, take some apple cider vinegar with water, and the magic will happen, your heartburn will disappear.

I took omeprazole during ten years for acid reflux and it caused a bacterial overgrowth in by gut, leading probably to rosacea. Now I don't have acid reflux anymore, and I stopped taking the drug 3 years ago.
    Also replenish your flora with probiotics and prebiotics, fermented foods,... that is extremely important.
    Keep us posted.

Default today

Quote Originally Posted by kb1981 View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm male, 31, reasonably fit and healthy. About 15 months ago I noticed the skin around my sideburns had gone red - at first I thought it was just a shaving rash or something, but it didn't go away, and over the next few months it began spreading to my forehead and then across my nose. Since then the condition has developed into papules/pimples across virtually my whole face and, if left untreated, I generally look like I've got really bad sunburn. My flushing mechanism has also gone haywire. My GP suggested it was some kind of dermatitis and prescribed me Eumovate steroid cream, which initially seemed to do a reasonable job of at least keeping the flare-up of the papules at bay, but the general redness didnt shift all that much. I've since been referred to a dermatologist, who continued down the dermatitis route and has prescribed me Tacrolimus as a steroid alternative (which doesnt seem to be particularly effective).

However, after reading up on rosacea symptoms and how it starts and progresses, I'm becoming increasingly suspicious that I've been mis-diagnosed and that I do in fact have rosacea instead of a dermatitis. All my symptoms seem to fit. If it does turn out to be rosacea I'm going to have to stop the steroid cream pretty fast, which I'm not looking forward to as my face flares up pretty badly whenever I stop for more than a few days.

About 2/3 months before I first noticed my skin redness, I began taking Omeprazole for a stomach reflux problem that I also have. I hadn't really thought of any potential link between the two things until now, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar things upon taking omeprazole, or any stomach acid-reducing medication? And any suggestions for good rosacea face-washes/non-prescription treatments would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Its just my opinion kb1981;268993 after having rosacea for some years that in one sense its pointless trying to treat your face in the hope it will cure your rosacea because for the most part the effects of the rosacea that you experience today; manifested itself in your gut two days earlier because rosacea for the most part is the result of impaired digestion through mainly eating improperly.
    My opinion of a person saying you have got sebaceous dermatitis or rosacea or any other type of non bacterial skin problem is this. That is the outward lesions on the skin are purely related to the degree of digestion of your food and the condition of the resulting chyme. There is no such thing as all these rosacea skin diseases its down to the effects and level of digestion. In other words itís a matter of cause and effect. Furthermore the idea of mites causing skin problems in my opinion is nonsense; your skin has to become diseased first for the scavengers to feed off.

I found the more tablets I took the worse my stomach felt and came to the realisation that I may well be causing this myself through disordered eating.
    It was a difficult task to negotiate but I had always had problems with fat and liquid meals like hot pots and beef stews even full fat milk at infantís school.

Itís the fat and water situation that needs to be overcome if you wish to progress your general health and your skin.

I used to work with an acid reflux person and said that he was causing it himself. He had a habit of eating biscuits and drinking tea. So one day I made a cup of tea and stirred a biscuit into the tea, the fat/oil floated and said this is why you have reflux. He changed his habit and admitted that he had felt much better. If you drink and eat fat you increase the surface area of the fat and it comes to the top so its important not to disturb your digestion as it makes it more difficult to digest.

I do admit that from birth I believe I have had problems with fat and I think therefore people who suffer from rosacea have had a previous encounter with the beginnings of rosacea. Its just has eventually broken through and got further into the system.

Although I have spoken about fat it is in my opinion only a part of the complicated rosacea puzzle.
    cure

Default hcl tablets for low stomach acid

i have stayed off nicorette gum for last two weeks and have been taking the above tablets. i used to think the nicotine in nicorette was causing the skin to flush but now i think it was due to the fact that it was causing stomach digestion problems. after taking a few nicorettes after a meal i would get diarhea. looking back years before rosacea i had similar probs if i smoked which may have compounded themselves over time. the net result was maybe the nicotine was causing digesetion problems.

anyway have taken the above supplements for last two weeks on recommenndation of doctor who has given me numerous non prescription pills and vitamins to take over the last year. these are the only ones which have had any effect. i find food much easier to digest. feeling like im getting some nutrion from meals and able to deep breath easier. this has made me less irratiable and this has helped me stay off the nicorette and reduced my cravings for carborhydrates and caffenine. it has helped with the skin altough alot of that benefit is due to not taking nicorettee which gave me an instant flush or well after about 20 mins and made a mild flush bad and a bad flush very bad.

i would say i would give the hcl a 7.5 out of 10 for digestiion and general health issues and 5.75 to 6 out of 10 for skin issues. this is after two weeks so longer use may improve these scores or maybe disimprove these score.

Quote Originally Posted by MasK View Post
    Hello.
    There could definitely be a link between ppi's (omeprazole, nexium,...) and rosacea, because suppressing stomach acid will interfere with absorption, let undigested food reach the intestine, and let pathogens come into the gut.
    Stomach acid is needed to form pepsin, an enzyme that degrades proteins. Undigested food will cause allergies, and imbalance of bacteria.
    It can cause inflammation by this way.

Acid reflux is not linked to TOO MUCH acid, but LOW stomach acid, which leads to a fermentation in the stomach, producing gas that pushes on the low oesophagal sphincter, and travels through the oesophagus, carrying acid traces and burning the wall.
    What you need to do is to add some ACID sources when you eat, like apple cider vinegar (a spoon in water), or sauerkraut juice (it exists in bottle).
    When you have heartburn, take some apple cider vinegar with water, and the magic will happen, your heartburn will disappear.

I took omeprazole during ten years for acid reflux and it caused a bacterial overgrowth in by gut, leading probably to rosacea. Now I don't have acid reflux anymore, and I stopped taking the drug 3 years ago.
    Also replenish your flora with probiotics and prebiotics, fermented foods,... that is extremely important.
    Keep us posted.
    Hi MasK, thanks for your reply (and to Drummond and Dryfairskin too)

I had a gastroscopy last year, and according to the medical guys I'm getting reflux because I have a hiatus hernia - where the stomach/oesophageal sphincter doesnt close properly, thus allowing stomach acid to escape up my throat. And, as you say, it's nothing to do with having too much stomach acid production per se. What you've written about too LITTLE acid production makes perfect sense, however it sounds like a paradox that low stomach acid could be causing my symptoms - as surely that would mean that taking omperazole would make reflux symptoms even worse since it works by decreasing stomach acid production - yet omeprazole works really well for my reflux. Eating acidic foods like cider vinegar (I used to put a teaspoon of it over salad) definitely makes my reflux worse, so overall I suspect my reflux is indeed a physical problem with my stomach rather than a chemical one.

Going back to the rosacea - I saw my doctor last week, the day after writing my post on here... and despite reading several different sources on the 'net about the link between stomach acid and rosacea, my doctor said she's never heard of a link between the 2 and immediately seemed to dismiss it. I know not to believe everything you read on the web, but a lot of people clearly do think there seems to be a link between the 2 so I'm not sure I agree with my doctor on this one.

If GI tract conditions and rosacea ARE linked, then it seems logical to me that since omeprazole decreases stomach acid production, general pH levels in the gut will be higher (less acidic), which then in turn makes the gut more hospitable to certain bacteria. Plus the undigested food issues that you've mentioned in your reply too. But again, this all depends on whether there actually IS a link between the 2 things and I can't seem to get a definitive answer. I just wonder whether forcing the issue a little more with my GP and getting some Rifaximin or something (antibiotics for the gut) might be worth a shot. Nothing to lose!

Thanks again.
    Last edited by kb1981; 23rd April 2012 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kb1981 View Post
    Hi MasK, thanks for your reply,
    I had a gastroscopy last year, and according to the medical guys I'm getting reflux because I have a hiatus hernia - where the stomach/oesophageal sphincter doesnt close properly, thus allowing stomach acid to escape up my throat. And, as you say, it's nothing to do with having too much stomach acid production per se. What you've written about too LITTLE acid production makes perfect sense, however it sounds like a paradox that low stomach acid could be causing my symptoms - as surely that would mean that taking omperazole would make reflux symptoms even worse since it works by decreasing stomach acid production - yet omeprazole works really well for my reflux. Eating acidic foods like cider vinegar (I used to put a teaspoon of it over salad) definitely makes my reflux worse, so overall I suspect my reflux is indeed a physical problem with my stomach rather than a chemical one.

Going back to the rosacea - I saw my doctor last week, the day after writing my post on here... and despite reading several different sources on the 'net about the link between stomach acid rosacea, my doctor said she's never heard of a link between the 2 and immediately dismissed it. I know not to believe everything you read on the web, but a lot of people clearly do think there seems to be a link between the 2 so I'm not sure I agree with my doctor on this one.

If GI tract conditions and rosacea ARE linked, then it seems logical to me that since omeprazole decreases stomach acid production, general pH levels in the gut will be higher (less acidic), which then in turn makes the gut more hospitable to certain bacteria. Plus the undigested food issues that you've mentioned in your reply too. But again, this all depends on whether there actually IS a link between the 2 things and I can't seem to get a definitive answer. I just wonder whether forcing the issue a little more with my GP and getting some Rifaximin or something (antibiotics for the gut) might be worth a shot. Nothing to lose!

Thanks again.
    There IS a link between GI tract and rosacea.
    There are several studies linking SIBO & rosacea, or helicobacter pylori and rosacea, crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis & rosacea, etc.
    Omeprazole works for acid reflux, because it inhibits the capacity of the stomach to produce acid. So there is NO acid left in the stomach.
    Even if you have reflux, you won't feel it, because it is not acidic.
    Trust me and drop this drug... you will end with several health issues related to the long term use. It's not a joke, it is bad for your health.
    Try to drink some ACV in water when you have heartburn.
    Increasing methylation with Trimethylglycine (very cheap), taking bitters to stimulate the release of digestive juices, zinc, salt, all this is good to enhance gastric acid production.
    I know hiatal hernia very good, because it was my problem too. But the LES (lower oesophagal sphincter) works well when the pH in the stomach is sufficient. So if you have enough stomach acid, it will work better.
    You can browse this forum (use the search function) to look for GERD, and see what the moderator posted about it. He is a very knowledgeable man (Hveragerthi).
    http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=980

I'll give your advice a go MasK, thanks very much for taking the time to write. (I'll also go and give my GP a piece of my mind for got even considering skin/GI issues!)

I took a lot of antacids when I went away to college due to the poor quality of food. Less than one month later I had rosacea. I've began taking hydrochloric acid supplements for "low stomach acid". I've been on them for 2-3 weeks, 500mg with lunch and dinner and have seen no difference in redness whatsoever. But one thing's for sure, my digestion is terrible. It got really bad when I was away at college. My stomach hurts all the time, all over my abdomen. Nothing ever really "gets out". I see a homeopathic doctor because conventional treatments like anti-biotics did absolutely nothing for me. This doctor actually listens to me and firmly believes that (for my case) digestion is the "root cause" of the disease. I lost a lot of weight trying to control this thing through diet. Recently I've tried taking things to purposely make myself gain weight and have actually lost even more weight in the process. Before my digestive problems and rosacea I was actually almost overweight and could NEVER seem to lose weight no matter how hard I exercised and ate well. Now I can't seem to gain weight no matter what I do...which does lead me to believe even further that digestion is severely an issue here (for me). The problem is now fixing the digestion...so far, nothing has helped. And without that fixed, I don't know that I'll ever be able to "fix" the rosacea. I'm at a loss. I've even tried drinking 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar in 8 oz water twice a day. It's been one week, no improvement at all. I've blown through over 100 capsules of lysine. No improvement. Looks like I'm another one of those "hopeless cases"

Default The problem is now fixing the digestion

Quote Originally Posted by beccabear122 View Post
    I took a lot of antacids when I went away to college due to the poor quality of food. Less than one month later I had rosacea. I've began taking hydrochloric acid supplements for "low stomach acid". I've been on them for 2-3 weeks, 500mg with lunch and dinner and have seen no difference in redness whatsoever. But one thing's for sure, my digestion is terrible. It got really bad when I was away at college. My stomach hurts all the time, all over my abdomen. Nothing ever really "gets out". I see a homeopathic doctor because conventional treatments like anti-biotics did absolutely nothing for me. This doctor actually listens to me and firmly believes that (for my case) digestion is the "root cause" of the disease. I lost a lot of weight trying to control this thing through diet. Recently I've tried taking things to purposely make myself gain weight and have actually lost even more weight in the process. Before my digestive problems and rosacea I was actually almost overweight and could NEVER seem to lose weight no matter how hard I exercised and ate well. Now I can't seem to gain weight no matter what I do...which does lead me to believe even further that digestion is severely an issue here (for me). The problem is now fixing the digestion...so far, nothing has helped. And without that fixed, I don't know that I'll ever be able to "fix" the rosacea. I'm at a loss. I've even tried drinking 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar in 8 oz water twice a day. It's been one week, no improvement at all. I've blown through over 100 capsules of lysine. No improvement. Looks like I'm another one of those "hopeless cases"
    The problem is now fixing the digestion

Just my opinion from experience similar to you so I can understand what you are going through. In the end the cause was really due to the way I ate my food which was the same as everyone else that is eating and drinking with the meal.
    Most people seem to cope with eating that way without any ill effects and I think the cause your problem is on similar lines to how I was.
    If you could read my reply to kb1981 it really basically explains my general view.

Itís the fat/acid foods and water situation that needs to be overcome if you wish to progress your general health and your skin.

What I have done is to separate my meals into meals without fat and the meal I take with fat.
    So for my breakfast say bran flakes or porridge no fat drink non acid drinks.
    Lunch no fat non acid drinks.
    Evening meal eat all the recommended fat allowance at this meal and maximum to two glasses of wine should you need to drink alcohol. Donít drink any water
    Then donít drink until you are thirsty which can be four hours later.
    Before you eat your evening meal try to become warm especially your face.

I think also eating bread is just no good because in my opinion it compacts in the gut like a fist and impaires digestion.

I admit that its not easy but my findings are that for the most part rosacea is a digestive disorder and the main contributing cause is because people are constantly disturbing their digestion by adding more food and drink to the previous meal so it ends up people having semi digested food in their stomach all the time.

I certainly think that if you work on the above ideas you can beat this problem.
    cure

For what I think about that, disturbed flora can cause a LOT of troubles that do not seem to be related to it.
    Fermented foods have to be eaten everyday to be sure that the beneficial flora is still at it's optimal level.
    Try this routine (drink kefir, or kombucha, take probiotic pills, ...).