Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I have Accutane induced Rosacea, what now?

Default So I have Accutane induced Rosacea, what now?

Hey guys, I just signed up on the forum after reading and lurking for awhile. I've noticed there are a lot of people on here who took accutane and are now dealing with the terrible, lasting side effect of facial flushing and redness.

My Story

I took 80mg of accutane from March 2011 to the end of July 2011. I took it strictly for acne, which was really bumming me out. Before I took Accutane, I was one of the darkest people in my family, much darker then my fair skinned brother and other relatives.

So at the end of my course, my face started to become more and more red. I was assured by my Derm that it would go away after the course. Well, 7 months after the end of my course, and my face has only gotten redder and angrier. Flushing has become a major problem the last 4 months, its now at a point where its crippling. I can't operate in many temperatures, and moving air is my friend. I saw my derm about this, and she's saying Rosacea is not a side effect of accutane, and its not related. I think we all know this line, I can't believe even she thinks that. I'm an 18 year old guy, with previous dark skin and complexion, with no family history of Rosacea. Ya.......not accutane. I'm taking 40mg of Oracea every night, and was prescribed Elidel too, but that stuff made my face light on fire. No success with Oracea.

I'm at a point where the only place I feel comfortable is in a car with A/C on, or outside on a sub 60 degrees day.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
    What to do
    So after reading a few threads about other accutane rosaceans, I'm wondering what I should pursue with my Derm? I'm going back tomorrow, and I'm afraid I'm going to get the run around, and possibly some other prescription, that might not be correctly targeted towards our unique condition.

I've read about a few anti-malarials, like Mepacrine and Plaquenil. I read that they've shown some promising results for accutane flushers. How wold I go about convincing my derm to take a look at those?

I'm the US by the way.

Thanks

I understand your frustration as I was on about four rounds of Accutane at different points in my life. I am twice your age and I was shocked last week when my derm suggested yet another round! I am not familiar with the meds you mentioned so hopefully someone can respond about that. Here are things that have helped me:
    Changing face products to organic and chemical free including a new sunscreen.
    Really watching my diet including anti-inflammatory foods and high alkaline diet.
    Watching alcohol and coffee intake.
    Taking pro-biotics.
    No dairy or gluten. Super tough adjustment but Udi's bread has helped.
    Oracea quit working for me but was helpful for a few years.
    Finacea has helped and I have metro gel but I feel like it's not a big help. Differin seemed mildly helpful too but they all sort of seem the same to me.

Elidel made me burn too, I quit using it. All these prescriptions and then some aren't working. It's frustrating. That is why I went to the naturopath as the last resort. I use coconut oil and have on my face too without any problem. I try to avoid stressful situations and I meditate. I know, I sound like a quack! Try really watching the food you eat and see what happens. People have tried a lot of things including washing with Selsun Blue, drinking Borax, etc...I don't at all suggest this, I'm making the point to be careful. I find you can manage rosacea. I have had several IPL laser treatments, the ablative kind and warming kind. I can't keep them all straight. And lately I'm using Phototherapy with the blue light. We'll see. Anyway, I hope this is somewhat encouraging. Don't look upon it as a death sentence. There are SO many people out there now dealing with this, I notice it on a daily basis. Just find what works for you so you can manage it. Laser improves redness greatly. Good luck!
    Maude

Might want to read this post for help.

I have added your experience here.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Thanks for this Brady, I read the links. WOW is all I can say....
    Maude

Default Will there ever be a recourse?

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Might want to read this post for help.

I have added your experience here.
    Brady, if we get enough people to talk about Accutane causing their rosacea is there any hope for a lawsuit? I know I was never informed of possibly developing a permanent red face/flushing condition upon completion of my Accutane treatment... I would have remembered that.

There is always hope for a lawsuit, but getting a lawyer to take the case is the issue. You simply need money for the lawyer. There is a class action lawsuit still in the works (I Think) that you might join in with. Just Google Accutane Class Action Suit.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

To me it seems like ignorant derms is the problem, not the accutane. My derm told me he follow his patients carefully if heavy flushing occurs, or red burning eyes. People with oily skin and acne, are prone to Rosacea and Seb Derm.

Quote Originally Posted by Snegovik View Post
    To me it seems like ignorant derms is the problem, not the accutane. My derm told me he follow his patients carefully if heavy flushing occurs, or red burning eyes. People with oily skin and acne, are prone to Rosacea and Seb Derm.
    Ignorant derms are of course a huuge problem, however the base problem is the accutane and of course genetic factors, as not everyone gets problems with redness from accutane use.
    However my problems with accutane were firstly not flushing but baseline redness, however it is transient(moving).
    So I don't agree with you fully, however my problems would have been tiny had my derm known what he was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Achillez2323 View Post
    Brady, if we get enough people to talk about Accutane causing their rosacea is there any hope for a lawsuit? I know I was never informed of possibly developing a permanent red face/flushing condition upon completion of my Accutane treatment... I would have remembered that.
    I definitely wasn't informed either and I still have all the written material they gave me when I was prescribed it - rosacea and flushing don't appear on the long list of possible side effects.

At a check-up appointment during my accutane course, I told the derm I was seeing about the severe flushing and she just said 'oh, that's weird' but acted like it was nothing to worry about. I WISH I had had the sense to do my own research but I was just pleased to be fighting the acne and trusted her that it was no big deal so kept taking the drug as prescribed. So I agree with others that the knowledge of some people in the medical profession about the potential side effects of this drug leave a lot to be desired. However, the rather depressing fact is, we are a very much an unlucky minority when it comes to this issue. Most people who take accutane for acne simply don't end up with rosacea. Maybe it was always genetically 'in the post' for us and accutane just made it appear earlier than it would have done naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by fed_up View Post
    I definitely wasn't informed either and I still have all the written material they gave me when I was prescribed it - rosacea and flushing don't appear on the long list of possible side effects.

At a check-up appointment during my accutane course, I told the derm I was seeing about the severe flushing and she just said 'oh, that's weird' but acted like it was nothing to worry about. I WISH I had had the sense to do my own research but I was just pleased to be fighting the acne and trusted her that it was no big deal so kept taking the drug as prescribed. So I agree with others that the knowledge of some people in the medical profession about the potential side effects of this drug leave a lot to be desired. However, the rather depressing fact is, we are a very much an unlucky minority when it comes to this issue. Most people who take accutane for acne simply don't end up with rosacea. Maybe it was always genetically 'in the post' for us and accutane just made it appear earlier than it would have done naturally.
    Absolutely not.

see here:

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/aug...e/sci-rosacea6
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3346901/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10992453

I don't have time to write a good answer, however please study the links if you want to know what seems to be a huge part of the secret about accutane and rosacea(, and rosacea itself).