Thread: Does this sound like Rosacea? Seeing dermatologist on Thursday

Default Does this sound like Rosacea? Seeing dermatologist on Thursday

Hello everyone. I have two appointments on Thursday: dermatologist, and then allergist for allergy testing. I should mention that I have lifelong allergy issues and have tried injections in the past for environmental irritants (for me, weeds and dust, plus lots of grasses, trees, etc.). They worked but I went off them due to the time involved and location as compared to my office. Anyway...about a year and a half ago my dad and my then bf commented on my red face. When my dad said something, it was a little red on one side, like a solid splotch. When the bf said something, it was like, "Whoa...your face is really flushed right now." I am fair and a bit olive skinned, and have NEVER had any issue with blushing, with my face getting hot/turning red, etc. My GP send me to a dermatologist about 6 months ago and she was very arrogant and rude, telling me it was sun damage. Hmmm. It comes and goes. Does that sound like sun damage? No! Plus, I am not the outdoor type and wear sunscreen. She still gave me Finacea (but she said it was for my other complaint of acne) and Differin (which is for acne). The acne was along my hairline and between my eyes (lovely!) and not at all on my red splotch. A few weeks ago my mom told me at dinner I was turning bright red, and since then it's happened numerous times at work. Never raised or bumpy. The tip of my nose begins to tingle. The day it happened at dinner, my face had been burning and tingling and I had put moisturizer on it (OUCH!). Then I did cold compresses. Yesterday, I ate a fiber/granola bar and my right cheek got very red and this time it puffed up under my eye. It was so dry and stinging last night that I put a cortisone ointment on and that burned so I wipe it off and used Vaseline (desperate), which was the same. Finally, ice compresses. I woke up today and my mom said, "What the hell happened to your face?" (Thanks, Mom). It's a bit better right now but still quite red. This sucks. I have been tested for Lupus (negative). I have a few other weird things including premature ovarian failure (so my estrogen levels dropped extremely low - but now I am taking a pill for that). Sometimes the skin on the palms of my hands is "sore", and it's also happened on my face and my scalp. Sigh...does it sound like Rosacea? I am 40 by the way, not sure if age matters.

Default melissa

Very well could be....that's alot how mine started. The derm will probably test you for the bad things, and if all are negative, then I would say it definitley sounds like it...does it get redder when you feel nervous about it?

Default Susan

Quote Originally Posted by susan d View Post
    Very well could be....that's alot how mine started. The derm will probably test you for the bad things, and if all are negative, then I would say it definitley sounds like it...does it get redder when you feel nervous about it?
    Hi Susan, I haven't noticed and connection to how I am feeling emotionally. I am generally pretty stressed out and have been for several years, as I made a career change and haven't been able to land a job in that field. The thing is, I'm always like this. I don't really feel like I'm nervous or anxious about else. I am so afraid I'm going to end up with the pimples I have read about. I break out often, but mainly on my chin, hairline, between my eyes and one huge recurring one on my forehead (sorry for the visual), but they are more lumps than anything and those areas aren't red. I am currently trying to cut out as much sugar, dairy, wheat, grains, and chemicals (preservatives and such) as possible because I am always tired and have stomach probs. I am hoping this also helps my face to clear up. Thankfully the redness has subsided quite a bit since this morning, but I'm definitely still quite red. I went to CVS and got a few different moisturizers and sunscreens. I guess I will see what the dermatologist says!