Thread: Rosacea expert anywhere on West Coast

Default Rosacea expert anywhere on West Coast

I am looking for a Doctor who really knows what he/she is talking about in terms of Rosacea and has a lot of knowledge and experience treating with different lasers. I've had many irritating experiences with dermatologists (recently one dismissed my concerns by telling me that "everyone has rosacea" and another one, after I had tried only one type of very low dose antibiotics for two months with no result, told me that he didn't think I have rosacea but rather "physiological flushing"). I live in Portland, Oregon and as far as doctor recommendations can only find a lot of old references to Dr. Darm, whom it seems has been somewhat discredited since 2005; I found one post saying his medical license had been suspended. Does anyone know if there are any great Rosacea docs in the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Seattle) or really anywhere on the west coast? I'm willing to travel to find someone very skilled and experienced because that seems to be one of the biggest factors in the success of the treatment. Any help would be so very appreciated.

Default Laser dr in San Francisco

I can recommend a dr who has helped me with Perfecta Laser txs, but she's in San Francisco, CA. Her name is Dr. Kathleen Welsh. I'm not sure she is a rosacea expert, but she is smart, caring and one of the best laser drs I have been to.

If you want to see so-called rosacea experts, you might try Dr. Steinhoff and Dr. Berger at UCSF (University of California, San Francisco). They have a neurgenic rosacea clinic aimed at helping people with the painful forms of rosacea. I have seen them a few times and they seem interested in helping me, but my case is unusual and I have yet to get significant relief.

However, the Perfecta laser does seem to help me a little. Feel free to email me directly if you need more information.

Meg

Quote Originally Posted by laverne View Post
    I am looking for a Doctor who really knows what he/she is talking about in terms of Rosacea and has a lot of knowledge and experience treating with different lasers. I've had many irritating experiences with dermatologists (recently one dismissed my concerns by telling me that "everyone has rosacea" and another one, after I had tried only one type of very low dose antibiotics for two months with no result, told me that he didn't think I have rosacea but rather "physiological flushing"). I live in Portland, Oregon and as far as doctor recommendations can only find a lot of old references to Dr. Darm, whom it seems has been somewhat discredited since 2005; I found one post saying his medical license had been suspended. Does anyone know if there are any great Rosacea docs in the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Seattle) or really anywhere on the west coast? I'm willing to travel to find someone very skilled and experienced because that seems to be one of the biggest factors in the success of the treatment. Any help would be so very appreciated.
    Do you have any links proving that Dr. Darm has lost his license? There is no evidence that he has lost his license and has helped the rosacea community for some time now. Where did you get this info? Not a good idea to spread such rumors if they are not true.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 18th March 2012 at 12:10 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Default Michelle Pelle, MD

There is Michelle Pelle, MD who practices in San Diego.
    pelle89.jpg
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Do you have any links proving that Dr. Darm has lost his license? There is no evidence that he has lost his license and has helped the rosacea community for some time now. Where did you get this info? Not a good idea to spread such rumors if they are not true.
    He gave up his license in California (but not his Oregon license) because of an incident in Oregon, probably to avoid an investigation in California. There are more details here:

http://www2.mbc.ca.gov/LicenseLookup...seNumber=44187

Basically, a patient said that he kissed and hugged her at his treatment facility following a laser procedure and told her that the physical contact was her payment. He was reprimanded by the Oregon Medical Board and had to adhere to various conditions for a decade until 2009. More here:

https://techmedweb.omb.state.or.us/C...tityID=1454390

https://techmedweb.omb.state.or.us/C...0011018.SO.pdf

I went to Dr. Darm pretty early on in an effort to stop my flushing. At that time I had no permanent redness, and moderate flushing. Although I liked him and his staff, the treatments ultimately put my flushing into overdrive and I have spent many years and a lot of money to finally improve it. I did have the condensed protocal (a treatment every other day for 2 weeks) which I understand he stopped doing some time ago. Personally, I think vbeam perfecta is a good way to start
    Arlene

Quote Originally Posted by jrlhamcat2 View Post
    He gave up his license in California (but not his Oregon license) because of an incident in Oregon, probably to avoid an investigation in California. There are more details here:

http://www2.mbc.ca.gov/LicenseLookup...seNumber=44187

Basically, a patient said that he kissed and hugged her at his treatment facility following a laser procedure and told her that the physical contact was her payment. He was reprimanded by the Oregon Medical Board and had to adhere to various conditions for a decade until 2009. More here:

https://techmedweb.omb.state.or.us/C...tityID=1454390

https://techmedweb.omb.state.or.us/C...0011018.SO.pdf
    Thanks for the links. As you point out the incident happened in 1999, Dr. Darm has paid his debt for the ten years of probation. It is now 13 years later and nothing more to add to the above order. Dr. Darm never lost his Oregon license and without a doubt learned his lesson from the Oregon State Board of Medical Examiners.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Thanks for the links. As you point out the incident happened in 1999, Dr. Darm has paid his debt for the ten years of probation. It is now 13 years later and nothing more to add to the above order. Dr. Darm never lost his Oregon license and without a doubt learned his lesson from the Oregon State Board of Medical Examiners.
    I guess--I'd never even heard of him personally and don't live in the US, but I came across this thread and was curious what laverne was referring to.