Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dating/Relationships and Rosacea

Default Dating/Relationships and Rosacea

I'm finding it really hard to approach dating while living with rosacea. I admit there's this constant insecurity and fear of how I look and whether that person is staring at/analyzing my skin instead of me. My rosacea can be classified as pretty mild (just flushing in certain areas of the cheekbone) but it's still hard to feel worthy with regard to dating/relationships.

Just wondering if anyone has advice on this. Thanks.

I recently saw pics of me that were taken some years ago.
    It's only now that I see that I had some redness on the face.

The redness became a problem because some ppl started to tell me "Oh you're are so red" "you look flushed", then I started to worry about.
    But guess what? I always had many girlfriends, even when I was beet red some years ago (and more fat, though I've never been a fat guy, I was just drinking too much beer lol). Because ppl tell me that I'm a good looking guy, but also that I look confident and "charismatic". I often lead the groups I'm in and ppl care a lot about my advices and opinions. This is difficult with rosacea though.
    That's what the girls saw in me, they didn't care about the redness.
    I have a beautiful girlfriend now, she is just gorgeous. But I flush, I have bad days, redness, sometimes pimples... She didn't even tell me once.
    I avoid situations that can make me flush more with her.
    But sometimes it happens, and she does not seem to see it or she do not care.
    Don't put rosacea between you and the loved person, or leave her/him.
    Choosing to be single due to rosacea is understandable, from my point of view. But then be happy to avoid so much stress.
    You can also choose to tell the person, but it can become a real problem, when you avoid situations and the person KNOWS it is because of your condition.
    "Luckily" I have more severe health issues (certainly linked to rosacea), and thus I can use these ones to avoid situations that will make me flush or burn.

For me the energy that emanate from you is what is connecting to people, a lot more that how you look. The eyes, the movements, the global look of your body.
    Everything has to be charming and they won't even see some little imperfections.

For all the male rosaceans here there is a shimmer of hope when it comes to dating:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ive-women.html

"Most people would expect a ruddy face to turn off the opposite sex, but a new study claims women actually find redness sexy.

According to researchers at the University of Nottingham, rosey facial skin in male monkeys, birds and fish has long been associated with mate selection and dominance - but they've now discovered red-faced men, such as Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, are equally appealing to potential partners.

'We have shown that increased redness enhances the appearance of dominance, aggression and attractiveness in men's faces viewed by female participants,' said co-author Ian D. Stephen." Etc

Ok, too red is not good:

"He said a male face which is red is attractive to women because it suggests good health and fitness. However, the findings show excessive redness makes men appear angry and aggressive in the eyes of women.

'Very high levels of redness increase perceived aggression to the detriment of attractiveness,' Mr Stephen said. 'These differences may reflect a trade-off between the benefits to females of choosing a healthy, dominant male and the costs of associating with an aggressive partner.'

In the study, women were allowed to manipulate the facial colour of computer pictures of men to make them as attractive, dominant or aggressive as possible, and most increased the redness to boost these qualities.

As the face gets redder it is increasingly attractive to women because it is an indication of testosterone, good health and fitness, as there is more oxygen in the blood. But it can soon tip over in to aggression and, in extreme cases, anger."

Quote Originally Posted by nat007 View Post
    For all the male rosaceans here there is a shimmer of hope when it comes to dating:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ive-women.html

"Most people would expect a ruddy face to turn off the opposite sex, but a new study claims women actually find redness sexy.

According to researchers at the University of Nottingham, rosey facial skin in male monkeys, birds and fish has long been associated with mate selection and dominance - but they've now discovered red-faced men, such as Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, are equally appealing to potential partners.

'We have shown that increased redness enhances the appearance of dominance, aggression and attractiveness in men's faces viewed by female participants,' said co-author Ian D. Stephen." Etc
    I think it might be the colour of the plastic in Sir Alex's wallet...

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

There was me thinking it was the ruddiness of the other end of monkeys that made females attractive to males.

Quote Originally Posted by johnabetts View Post
    There was me thinking it was the ruddiness of the other end of monkeys that made females attractive to males.
    This could morph into a very unfortunate metaphor.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    This could morph into a very unfortunate metaphor.

G
    I thought that after pressing the send button

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by johnabetts View Post
    I thought that after pressing the send button
    You're a hell raiser! ;-)

G

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    You're a hell raiser! ;-)

G
    No, just absent minded!