Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rash is causing fissures/lines/scarring/indents!

birdsing ~

I wanted to tell you a few things that may explain why I feel so strongly that you may have mites:

I had not suffered from allergies until about 3-4 years ago. Up to that time, I had oily skin/scalp, occassional adult acne, no rosacea. I work with animals everyday. I am in direct contact with cats and dogs constantly. I am methodically clean, washing my hands between each patient, careful not to touch my face, keep my nails short, and use antibacterial soap for my work scrub uniforms and body. As many times as I came into contact with demodex and scabies positive dogs, I never had a problem.

3-4 years ago, I am stung by a wasp and within 2 hours, I am experiencing a full-blown anaphylactic allergic reaction. I am carried to the ER via an ambulance. 6 IM injections of epinephrine later, I am fine.

1 year later, I have oral surgery and am prescribed Vicodin for pain. I develop facial hives and itching and discover trigger #2.

1 year later, I have a facial bump that won't resolve, go to my PCP, and am prescribed Elidel and some oral antibiotic. The bump resolves in a month, but leaves a fissure scar. I have mild occasional gerneralized itching. I think I am developing more allergies.

6-8 months later, I am having hive-type red, flaky patches on my upper arms. I think I am developing an allergy to something else, something I am having contact with. It makes sense to me that the first item to address is my laundry soap. I switch from Gain to Tide. My arms worsen, my back and chest are now affected, and my face is breaking out. I make an appointment with a derm. At my appointment, she asks me a bunch of questions, examins my skin, and determines I have contact dermititis - a complication of my growing allergies. She prescribes a tub, not a tube, a 1 lb tub of triamcinolone acetonide ointment (steroid) and an oral antihistamine. I am to apply this to affected areas 2X a day. She also prescribes an oral antibiotic. She tells me to stop using Lever2000 body soap because it is known to cause contact allergies. She also tells me to stop using Tide and to switch to a dye-free, perfume-free laundry detergent. She tells me I will need to have allergy testing done to find my exact set of triggers. I start using sensitive skin products and try to eliminate the harsh OTC acne products. My arms get better, but my back and chest do not, and I am breaking out again on my face, with another huge lesion like that first one that caused the fissure. I go back to see her again, and she wants a skin sample. They do a punch biopsy from my lower back. 2 days later I am told I have demodex. I stop the steroid ointment (too late now) and use the prescribed permethrin cream and Eurax lotion products for 4 days. My symptoms resolve completely.

Approximately 2 months ago, my arms begin the same symptoms. I apply the ointment , thinking this is allergies again, not even considering it's demodex again. Again, my face breaks out, one lesion under my eye, one on my cheek, and I apply the ointment to all affected areas including my face. It helps, but my face is not clearing up. I think it's time for allergy testing. I make an appointment with the derm, ready to tackle this contact dermatitis head on. It's demodex. This is where I am now.

I likely have contact allergies also. I likely have eczema. I will not know more until my appointment this friday.

My concern for you is the scars. I have had pimples of all sorts and sizes for years. None of them left the scars like these fissures. I have a literal hole in my skin beneath my eye from one of the them. I now have 3 of the same lesions that will likely leave scars, too. What I have aren't pimples. They are lesions caused by the mites. I now have itchy, dry eyes, broken capillaries around my nose and mouth, scars, and no idea what the damage will be when these mites are gone.

This is why I say you should treat for mites.

I hope this helps you some.

Quote Originally Posted by meridiantoo View Post
    birdsing ~

I wanted to tell you a few things that may explain why I feel so strongly that you may have mites:

I had not suffered from allergies until about 3-4 years ago. Up to that time, I had oily skin/scalp, occassional adult acne, no rosacea. I work with animals everyday. I am in direct contact with cats and dogs constantly. I am methodically clean, washing my hands between each patient, careful not to touch my face, keep my nails short, and use antibacterial soap for my work scrub uniforms and body. As many times as I came into contact with demodex and scabies positive dogs, I never had a problem.

3-4 years ago, I am stung by a wasp and within 2 hours, I am experiencing a full-blown anaphylactic allergic reaction. I am carried to the ER via an ambulance. 6 IM injections of epinephrine later, I am fine.

1 year later, I have oral surgery and am prescribed Vicodin for pain. I develop facial hives and itching and discover trigger #2.

1 year later, I have a facial bump that won't resolve, go to my PCP, and am prescribed Elidel and some oral antibiotic. The bump resolves in a month, but leaves a fissure scar. I have mild occasional gerneralized itching. I think I am developing more allergies.

6-8 months later, I am having hive-type red, flaky patches on my upper arms. I think I am developing an allergy to something else, something I am having contact with. It makes sense to me that the first item to address is my laundry soap. I switch from Gain to Tide. My arms worsen, my back and chest are now affected, and my face is breaking out. I make an appointment with a derm. At my appointment, she asks me a bunch of questions, examins my skin, and determines I have contact dermititis - a complication of my growing allergies. She prescribes a tub, not a tube, a 1 lb tub of triamcinolone acetonide ointment (steroid) and an oral antihistamine. I am to apply this to affected areas 2X a day. She also prescribes an oral antibiotic. She tells me to stop using Lever2000 body soap because it is known to cause contact allergies. She also tells me to stop using Tide and to switch to a dye-free, perfume-free laundry detergent. She tells me I will need to have allergy testing done to find my exact set of triggers. I start using sensitive skin products and try to eliminate the harsh OTC acne products. My arms get better, but my back and chest do not, and I am breaking out again on my face, with another huge lesion like that first one that caused the fissure. I go back to see her again, and she wants a skin sample. They do a punch biopsy from my lower back. 2 days later I am told I have demodex. I stop the steroid ointment (too late now) and use the prescribed permethrin cream and Eurax lotion products for 4 days. My symptoms resolve completely.

Approximately 2 months ago, my arms begin the same symptoms. I apply the ointment , thinking this is allergies again, not even considering it's demodex again. Again, my face breaks out, one lesion under my eye, one on my cheek, and I apply the ointment to all affected areas including my face. It helps, but my face is not clearing up. I think it's time for allergy testing. I make an appointment with the derm, ready to tackle this contact dermatitis head on. It's demodex. This is where I am now.

I likely have contact allergies also. I likely have eczema. I will not know more until my appointment this friday.

My concern for you is the scars. I have had pimples of all sorts and sizes for years. None of them left the scars like these fissures. I have a literal hole in my skin beneath my eye from one of the them. I now have 3 of the same lesions that will likely leave scars, too. What I have aren't pimples. They are lesions caused by the mites. I now have itchy, dry eyes, broken capillaries around my nose and mouth, scars, and no idea what the damage will be when these mites are gone.

This is why I say you should treat for mites.

I hope this helps you some.

Thank you for all that information. It is extremely helpful. I started using tea tree oil two days ago applying full strength 4 times daily and my crawling feelings resolved. I am not really getting them anymore since using the tea tree oil. Although, I'm not sure if it's aggravating the little bumps, pink skin I have and making them worse and spread more. I can't tell as of yet. I am noticing that the tea tree oil is starting to dry out my skin which is something I know it does from past experience with it. I'm developing white flaky skin that's shedding in some areas. I won't really know if this is going to help and do some good until I continue using for a few more days I think. But the fact that the crawling feeling seems to go away must mean something.

I just noticed today that I am getting lots of super tiny skin tags all over my body, mainly I noticed on my chest and stomach. They are super tiny, but they are definitely skin tags cause I am having a hard time pulling them off. They aren't pimples. This worries me.

My back is currently itching me as I type this and I'm not sure why. I may be developing a pimple there, but I'm feeling some kind of crawling feelings there and some on my scalp again which I haven't felt anything like this on my back as of yet, only my thighs and somewhat my arms....I'm sort of starting to think the mites are moving from my face and finding other places on my body. Even my hands are starting to get some kind of crawling feelings.

I think I will ask for the permethrin cream and eurax lotion on my derm visit coming up next week and hope he gives it to me just to try it and see if my crawling sensations stop. I've noticed my skin on my arms has been getting more bumpy almost like keratosis pilaris for the past few months.

The permethrin cream and eurax lotion cleared up your face after only 4 days? Or just the crawling/tingling sensations?

birdsing ~

I read the link to other post you made here on the forum last August. I wanted to make a few comments:

My Derm is not the most attentive Dr. either. I have seen her 4X now since my itchy skin developed over a year ago. On all visits, she was not closely examining my face or skin. She examined me, quickly, without much attention, and I just assumed she could tell what was going on without much fuss. Plus, she did take the skin biopsy and that gave an answer - demodex. So, I didn't think too much about it. I have had many disappointing Dr. visits when my skin is the main issue. That seems to be common. I don't know what the deal is there. American medicine has become a joke in many respects. Are you still seeing the same derm now?

The symptoms you describe are identical to mine: itchy scalp, itchy face and body, linear/fissure scarring, redness, tingly/crawling sensations that are ongoing and not resolved with many products. You mention several times that you suspect mites, but I am wondering if you are using any of the recommended treatments mentioned on this thread i.e. dry mustard, TTO, borax/hydrogen peroxide toner, diet changes? Posters have mentioned that many derms do not acknowledge demodex as a common or considered diagnosis. My thoughts are it is always best to know exactly what you have in order to know exactly how to treat it. However, when you only have symptoms to go by, then you just do the best you can. In your case, I would strongly recommend you consider trying to self-treat for mites. The OTC products are inexpensive, fairly harmless unless you happen to have an allergy to one of them, and may bring you the relief you are looking for. I would try them and see what happens. My experience is that the eradication of these mites takes time....a long time....and you have to be dedicated to the treatment process through the ups and downs and variances in skin reaction and intermittent itching that makes it seem the products are not working. If all else fails, these products have antibacterial/antifungal properties to them. Therefore, even if it's not mites, you will likely get some benefit regardless. I can tell you are nervous and hesitant to try anything else and I can completely understand that. But, these OTC treatments are far less likely to cause more problems than the prescriptions you keep using. Ghost has a ton of very helpful posts and threads addressing the eridcation of mites. I would start browsing through them to get more familiar with the regimen.

When you are taking inventory of the prescription products you are using or have used in the past, pay attention to the main/active ingredient and research it for side effects, known complications, and best usage guidance. This will tell you what type of medicine you are dealing with i.e. antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antimite. You can get a better understanding of what you are dealing with, at least indirectly, by seeing which products have had a positive effect. If you get relief from antibacterial products, then likely your problem has a bacterial component to it. Likewise, if you have a positive response to antifungals, then you likely have some fungal issues going on. Ongoing chronic issues are likely multifaceted and have more than one component, in my experience. So, this will not lead you to a quick and certain conclusion, but it will help to illuminate your situation somewhat. I would start a product journal and make notes of your usage of them, reactions to them, products you use at the same time that could be reacting off one another, and any other seemingly helpful information.

I read that you used hydrocortisone cream. I am not a derm so this is my personal and lay experience with steroids. Unless you have an extreme, and I mean EXTREME facial inflammation problem, I would not put steroids on your face. I know that they are a common co-ingredient in many prescribed derm ointments and creams. They have their usage and appropriate place for the treatment of some conditions. They will decrease redness and inflammation usually, but only temporarily, and then you have the side effects to deal with that can long surpass your usage of them. I read studies on demodex that revealed many demodex sufferers had used topical steroids around the time the mite infestation happened. The steroids essentially made a perfect breeding ground for these critters by blocking the immune system from fighting them off -so they flourish. I researched your Duac cream, which has the active ingredients clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide. These are antibacterial medicines and they do have a bleaching effect to them. I do not know if the whitening is permanent. I have not used them on a long-term basis. But, since the Duac does not have steroids (at least, not in the information I found), I would not think it would cause mites to develop. But, that's an uneducated guess on my part.

When you are using products when you have demodex, this is what happens, well...this is my layman best-educated guess idea of what happens. When you apply products that kill them, they are going to react; afterall, they are fighting to survive. They will become temporarily more active and the appearance of your skin will be worse in many cases. This does not mean the product is not working. It means, they are highly active trying to survive and your immune system is working properly by responding to them and kicking in the inflammatory response. This causes redness, swelling, heat or temperature sensitivity, increased itchiness, as well as a host of other possible symptoms. These will resolve as the mites die off. You have to keep doing the eradication treatments to keep fighting them, despite the temporary sense that it's making it all worse. And treating mites is very time-consuming and takes a strong commitment to eradicate them. It's a slow process. You have to really want these critters gone.

I had read that demodex cannot survive in the environment for very long. I just read last night on eath clinic dot com that they do indeed persist in the environment and are capable of living off a host for a long time (how long, I do not know). This is the exact quote:

"The big problem is most demodex mites live outside the body and can stay outside for a very very long time so the chances of reinfections are very high, and much of it directly is in sanitizing the house with a concoction of spray that prevents their egg laying ability. That's why the borax and H2O2 is used around the house, at the very least."

I am making an attempt to address them in my home. I purchased an environmental enzymatic cleaner that kills them. I bathe in it nightly as well as spray my home, mattresses, launder my clothes, and used it to wipe down porous surfaces. Think of them as you would dust mites. Any area where dust can acumulate, so can they, but likely they are congregated on your bed and/or clothing, those items with which you come in direct contact. I purchased mattress and boxspring cases, new bed pillows, new sheets, and wash my bath towels and sheets daily now. You will not completely eliminate them. Your best chance is to reduce their numbers significantly. There are stong chemical-based home treatments you can use such as sprays, bombs, etc. But, I have pets and will not use these products. But, they are known to be very effective.

I do think the overall best approach is to address your body/immune system and strengthen it. This is what will keep you from having a chronic problem. This is a whole other thread and discussion. But, one that you will need to consider at some point.

While I am doing all this, I am not using any makeup, nothing to add more irritation or potentially block the treatments. It's humbling and I don't like it, but I hate these mites worse. I would recommend this to you as well.

I know this seems like a losing battle, and it can be, unless you are as relentless as these mites are. They are hearty, well-adapted, exist everywhere, and if you only use products sporadically, you will only help them to build a tolerance for the product and render is useless against them. It's really important to either truly fight them or just not give up.

If you decide to treat for demodex, I wish you luck and know you have several posters here to help you along the way.

I'm not seeing the same derm now. I am seeing a new derm probably my 5th or 6th one. I feel comfortable with this one of all the derms I've had so far. He seems patient with me and listens, but he is young and I'm not sure if he will be able to help me. He doesn't know what's going on with my face. He says it looks like a rash. But like I said, Protopic didn't work. And I think that stuff is supposed to treat like a lot of skin problems. I am using TTO right now as of 2 days ago. I had tried it before but developed a fissure scar from using it, i seemed to worsen my skin. But it may have been the TTO wasn't good TTO. It felt like not the TTO I am used to. I had a feeling it was bad TTO- it was by Dessert Essence. I am now using one from Europe that my aunt sent over. Hydrogen peroxide kills mites?

Also, I have no idea what Borax is. I keep hearing about it on these forums and I don't get it. I don't know how to use, where to buy...it kind of freaks me out cause it sounds so severe like laundry detergent or something nuts like that lol. I don't know if I want to put it on my face. I tried diet changes and cut out wheat, bread, dairy, etc. for 2 months and nothing happened to my skin. So, I'm back to eating normal. I don't flush from eating foods anyway. And I eat A LOT of spicy food now too. I've been eating salsa, loading lots of pepper on my food, etc. almost just to test and see if I'd flush lol.

Thanks for the tips you gave me on keeping a journal of the things I've used that helped. So far, I've noticed my skin got better after using ketoconazole shampoo and neosporin back when it was inflamed red and then somehow around the time I used both these things, my skin "broke" and became less severe in redness. Now TTO seems to be bringing me relief with how my skin feels.

So I guess it could be fungal or bacterial. I had asked a derm once if he thought it was fungal, he said no way it is fungal. So hmmmm. I am planning on asking my derm this week to give me a fungal skin scraping to check if it's fungal. I hope my insurance covers it though. I know for fungal checking they just can scrape the skin to check so I hope they are able to do this for me. It would be nice to eliminate something to get closer to what it could be. Obviously I don't think it can be a viral skin problem. So it's down to fungal or bacterial.

Thanks for looking into Duac and sharing your thoughts. It's very ironic though that my skin problems slowly began after the Duac usage. I think it's possible it could have done something. It is an antibiotic topical gel and antibiotics are known to cause fungal problems. I don't know...it's kind of still always been a theory of mine. I may have already had a slight mite infestation too and the Duac just exacerbated it and made my skin weaker or moved the mites around I dont know.

So, I actually have to look into killing these mites in my environment too?? Oh dear, this seems like so much work. I think it'd be a better option to strengthen my immune system since obviously it would be me that is the problem. Since, my mother and I are currently sleeping in the living room together....we have been for the past 6 months because we had a bed bug infestation and it took a while to deal with and now we have re-painted the rooms and got new furniture so hopefully we will move back in soon. But she sleeps literally 2 inches from me and does not have the problems I do.

What are ways I can strengthen the immune system. I am very serious and interested in doing this.

Default Definitely talk to your derm

Quote Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
    Thank you for all that information. It is extremely helpful. I started using tea tree oil two days ago applying full strength 4 times daily and my crawling feelings resolved. I am not really getting them anymore since using the tea tree oil. Although, I'm not sure if it's aggravating the little bumps, pink skin I have and making them worse and spread more. I can't tell as of yet. I am noticing that the tea tree oil is starting to dry out my skin which is something I know it does from past experience with it. I'm developing white flaky skin that's shedding in some areas. I won't really know if this is going to help and do some good until I continue using for a few more days I think. But the fact that the crawling feeling seems to go away must mean something.

I just noticed today that I am getting lots of super tiny skin tags all over my body, mainly I noticed on my chest and stomach. They are super tiny, but they are definitely skin tags cause I am having a hard time pulling them off. They aren't pimples. This worries me.

My back is currently itching me as I type this and I'm not sure why. I may be developing a pimple there, but I'm feeling some kind of crawling feelings there and some on my scalp again which I haven't felt anything like this on my back as of yet, only my thighs and somewhat my arms....I'm sort of starting to think the mites are moving from my face and finding other places on my body. Even my hands are starting to get some kind of crawling feelings.

I think I will ask for the permethrin cream and eurax lotion on my derm visit coming up next week and hope he gives it to me just to try it and see if my crawling sensations stop. I've noticed my skin on my arms has been getting more bumpy almost like keratosis pilaris for the past few months.

The permethrin cream and eurax lotion cleared up your face after only 4 days? Or just the crawling/tingling sensations?
    birdsing ~

Please understand that using the TTO full strength is a risk, and one that I don't recommend. I am desperate and severely itchy, to the point of scratching sores in my skin. This is why I take the risk. I would talk to your derm and ask about the TTO and also definitely talk to her/him about demodex testing. The TTO is drying, it burns, and it does seem to interact with mustard, so don't use those 2 products together or allow them to be on your skin at the same time.

I am leaving information on threads about my experimentation with products because I know I'm not the only one who will at least think of doing what I am doing - mixing products, in desperation. At least this way, a reader will have some idea of what someone else experienced. But, I'm not advocating following in my footsteps. I would honestly not use the full-strength TTO on your face until you speak with your derm. There are some good threads here that discuss dilution of TTO into carrier oils and using them diluted - you may want to read those to see what others used.

I have no idea why you are developing skin tags - you should mention them to your derm at your appointment next week.

The first bout of demodex I had, the itchiness resolved with 4 days of treatment - switching between Eurax and permethrin - I only had enough product for 4 days. The actual bumps took a while to heal, but showed improvement within those 4 days. The redness also cleared in 4 days.

Do your itching/skin crawling sensations worsen at night?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    birdsing,

I do believe some people are psychic. I've had first hand experience. Could be he is. Could be he is preternaturally perceptive -- but doesn't that come out to the same thing?

I was just thinking (again) today how many year's ago a friend's brother (whom I had just met) told me that I should not eat wheat and dairy. At the time I was like, "what else is there?" I'd been living on the typical early 20s diet of cheese sandwiches, pizza, pasta, cheese and crackers... maybe you know the story. A lot of us lived like that. We didn't know any better. PLUS there was the "healthy whole grains" thing everywhere. This brother of my friend is the kind of person who is just too sensitive for this world.

Parasites can live anywhere. Demodex is a parasite, so are lice, fleas, scabies, tapeworm, flukes. But if your skin is being all scratched up, sounds like that's where they are. Besides my diet and topicals I also use anti-parasite herbs and anti-yeast herbs. I use RenewLife ParaGone and Garden of Life YeastFREEZE. Excellent products. You can't just use one box, though. You have to give in to the whole program. I did 6 boxes of the ParaGone in a row (3 months) and I still pop a YeastFREEZE a few times a week just to keep things under control. Because the die-off from these nanomonsters is so acid-y i take Vaxa Buffer pH many nights before bed. You can look all these items up on line.

G
    Thank you Ghost for all the info. I am going to go ahead and just try that stuff out why not lol. Can I find these things at Whole Foods or do I need to order online?

Quote Originally Posted by Mistica View Post
    I go through phases where I develop linear lines, circle 'etch type line's and indentations. It is horrifying, waking up each morning, not knowing what the mirror will present

Some faded, over a long, long time. Some didn't. But I also developed ILP damage as well and it is difficult to know what is caused due to that and which is spontaneous.

My doctor can only suggest staying on antibiotics to reduce MMP's. An excess of the ones seen in rosacea cause skin/collagen degradation.

I have been supplementing with the following product due to a desperate attempt to prevent more damage and perhaps help repair what is already there. There is little real science as to whether these ingredients actually help or not, but I decided, if it can't harm, then I will try it.

http://www.vitacost.com/Vitacost-Hya...ll-Collagen-II

I can't tolerate topical hyaluronic acid and haven't been able to do so for many years now.

I can't tolerate borax/HP, or ZZ cream ( zz caused more indentations as well as terrible inflammation!!).
    I took a few rounds of ivermectin, but I was on a combined antibiotic regime at the time and it is hard to know which side effects arose from what. I think it contributed to increased inflammation, but that was probably temporary.

Paragone caused a significant facial inflammation increase with no resolution. I added Dr Ohirra's fermented probiotics and that was the icing on the cake. A face full of inflamed P&P's.
    I developed a root canal infection in the midst of all that and ended up on amoxicillin. That helped my face more than my tooth.

I reluctantly had to take a few rounds of augmentin, which settled the tooth and helped my face quite a lot for a week, until the side effects of C. Acid ( in augmentin) set in.
    I am trying to get off that now. <sigh>.

So, the etch type lines etc are less obvious, until I smile and then they can be seen quite prominently on some parts of my face.
    For me, inflammation triggers them.

I am no help to you sorry.

I should end by saying, my GP and gastroenterologist feel certain I have a nasty gut infection which is driving all this and they want to wipe out the gut based immune system and replace it. They feel that is my only chance 'resetting' my immune system. Thereby allowing it to fight off pathogens, and, resolve inflammation.

I have been gluten, grain, dairy free for a very, very long time. This helps reduce some rosacea/flushing symptoms, but doesn't resolve them. Alas.
    Mistica, it's interesting you mention something about having a gut infection because I wondered at one point if I did too because I do have acid reflux problems time to time. I just don't understand why it would only affect the face.

How do they plan to get rid of the gut problem??

birdsing ~

That crawling feeling is the exact sensation I have on my upper body - everywhere - from head to waist. It's a different feeling than a normal itch and it's kind of tingly and it just feels like something is crawling. If it touch it, the sensation disappears for a moment..sometimes. At this point, I think I have had these mites for so long, it's extremely itchy and I get little relief, only temporarily from some of the products I am using. Do you have any bumps, fluid filled pustules, sores, anything like that anywhere other than your face? Do the areas of your body (not face) that itch have any kind of redness, splotchiness, or signs of something going on? I also itch on my jawline, that was the first itchy area for me, actually.

I don't think metronidazole kills the demodex, at least not in low concentrations. I am using it because I read somewhere that it does help. To be honest, I'm not sure what it does exactly.

All the pictures resemble some area of my face. I have many issues going on. I have red areas, bumps, scaly skin.

I don't know if you saw my pics but I definitely have signs of something going on. My skin is red/pink but in a kind of splotchiness form in the areas where I am having problems. There are tons of tiny bumps, on my front cheeks the skin has lines and indents and fissures forming and is pink colored. Once upon a time, the areas that were pink on my front cheeks were more raised in random places and I almost had like a crazy trail of raised pink skin on my face. I don't really get fluid filled pustules I don't think...I got one or two once but they may have been just normal pimples. I have other kinds of bumps that are smaller and some bumps that don't have pus or anything, but they all usually die down. I don't have sores.

birdsing ~

It's great to have someone to do this with! I don't know anyone who is going through this, so I hope we can find some answers to this together.

I will try to answer your questions as you mentioned them in your post:

1) Tea Tree Oil - I do not know much about this product. I have read some about it and read reports that is kills demodex so this is why I am using it. It has antibacterial/antifungal/antiviral/antidemodex properties. I think this is good to try to address multiple issues at one time. I apply the oil directly to my face (which I don't advise - it's strong, burns when you do this) 2X a day. I wash my face with tea trea oil soap (Paul Mitchell brand which I purchased on amazon dot com) 2X a day. It does seem to be helping, but I am using so many products, it's hard to tell which product or combination of products is responsible. If you experienced worsening or aggravated symptoms with the tea tree oil, then I would trust your experience. All products will not work for everyone. We each have unique body chemistries and predispositions, diets, skin types, and underlying causes, so what works with one person may not work with another. If you still want to try the tea tree oil that your aunt sent to you, I would dilute it before applying it to the affected areas (I think I read somewhere here at a dilution ratio of 1:8 with water (though it's not water soluble so you would have to shake the mixture really well before using it) or another neutral substance (avacado oil, coconut oil maybe) that is milder. I have even mixed the oil in lotion and applied it from head to toe. Or you could try the soap, as that is not as concentrated as the oil.

2) I was re-diagnosed with demodex a week ago by my dermatologist, the second bout of this I have had in a 6-7 month period. I am using a ton of products, it's a lot. I have been using all the mentioned products since that day. I don't know that I would advise anyone to do the same. I am taking the "if it doesn't kill me, it will kill the mites" approach, so I am willing to try most anything.

3) My complete regimen since I was diagnosed a week ago is:

-Wash face with tea tree oil soap 2X a day, then apply tea tree oil to the affected areas
    -oral amoxicillin 2X a day for 10 days
    -Bathe for approximately 45 mins in an enzymatic environment cleaner called "kleen free" on amazon dot com to kill mites (the reveiws on amazon claimed to reduce mite problems. The product does not state that it is effective on demodex. But, it does claim to kill bedbugs, scabies, and dust mites, so it makes sense to be at least somewhat effective on demodex). Then follow with a shower using tea tree oil soap on entire body, washing hair with seabuckthorn shampoo and allowing those to set for about 15 mins
    -After shower, dry hair roots with a hair dryer and apply either permethrin cream or Eurax lotion (both prescribed for demodex by my derm) from head to toe and allow to set overnight. I use permethrin EOD and Eurax EOD, switching between the two
    -Apply metronidazole gel on affected areas
    -No make-up
    -No other skin products (i.e. moisturizers, toners, etc)

4) If you had breathing issues with an antibiotic, I would not try that same one or one in the same antimicrobial family. You may have been having an allergic reaction to it. If you want to be cautious and not try any oral antibiotic, try a topical one, maybe one with benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid

5) I have 3 separate types of bumps on my skin right now. One consists of patches of very tiny clear fluid filled bumps on both sides of my nose and mouth. These are itchy/tingly/sensitive and when I scratch the area and break the bubbles, they stop itching, but flaky/scaly patches develop that don't heal quickly. A second type is a lesion, a solid bump with nothing in it on random places on my face. These cause the fissures. They are large, dark pink, and take a month to resolve. The third kind is the normal puss filled pimple that resolves within a week. I have no idea if they are all caused by the mite, or if each bump has a separate underlying cause. This is why I am using antidemodex/antibacterial/and antifungal products at the same time. My regimen since 2/17 when I was re-diagnosed with demodex has helped a lot, but I cannot tell which product is working or if it is the combination of them.

6) My PCP asked me if I have lupus in my family history. I do not. She may decided to rule this out, I am not sure. I have not been tested for allergies, other contributing medical conditions like shingles or had any blood work done yet. This will come, I'm sure. I am just not at that stage yet. I am going to wait and see if the topical treatments will work first. Then, I plan to alter my diet and see how that helps. Please let me know what your allergy panel test results show. I am curious to know what is causing your problem. I was prescribed elidel cream for the very first bump I had that caused a fissure. It did help. I have not used it nor been prescribed it since then.

7) I am puzzled that all the products you are using are not helping. I don't know why that is or what that means. I know that I try to not pay attention to day-to-day variances in my skin right now. I am looking at the overall picture, so if my skin gets really red from the tea tree oil or creams, I just ignore it. By morning, it's better, and overall my skin is improving. Sometimes you have to keep using something for a couple of weeks to notice improvement. But, if you see no improvement at all, then I can understand discontinuing the product.

8) I am with Ghost in my thoughts that you could potentially have mites (demodex). I say this because my fissures developed from these bumps that I have had since diagnosis. I have had acne since I was a teenager and nothing else has caused so much damage to my face. I would mention this to your derm or PCP the next appointment you have. It is important to have a positive skin biopsy to confirm that mites are what you have. It's not a comfortable procedure as they literally scrape areas of your face and examine it under the microscope to find the mites. I had an actual punch biopsy from back which confirmed my diagnosis. Even if you don't have the test done, I would not rule demodex out yet. The other tests you have done will probably help to provide information and shed some light on what is going on.

9) I have used bare minerals make-up because I have oily skin and heard it was good for that . I was not fond of it and stopped using it. It did help keep the oily skin look at bay during the day longer than with liquid foundations. But, it didn't look as natural as I wanted it to.

10) I have never had a glycolic/chemical peel. I may have one done at some point. Have you?

11) I have never put lime juice on my face. Why do you do this? What does it do?

12) I have had acne most of my life, so I have tried oodles of both prescription and OTC acne medications. Most of them I cannot recall. Off the top of my head, I remember various facial and body washes with ingredients like sulfur and clindamycin. I remember benzoyl peroxide gels and ointments. I have used elidel and mupirocin and may antibiotics. It was mentioned at my last appointment that accutane may be the next oral treatment if the topicals do not resolve the bumps.

13) I have never had an ovarian cyst. I have had a ganglion benign cyst in my wrist which was surgically removed when I was 18. I have had maybe 3 or 4 yeast infections that resolved with Diflucan.

14) I have tried many oil-free make-up foundations including Clinique and Estee Lauder and MAC. I have found that I like the less expensive options just as much. I use a brand now called Secret Agent. The foundation type is called "Undercover Makeup" and it is oil-free and runs about $16 for a 1oz tube. I like this brand because it comes in many shades with yellow or blue or neutral undertones to better match your exact skin tone. It provides medium coverage and gives my skin a smoother appearance than the water-based foundations like Clinique. You can browse the website to see their foundation selections at shop dot beauticontrol dot com. I use MAC loose powder over the foundation and various brands of blush and eye makeup. I tend to spend more money on skin care than makeup.

15) My usual skin care regimen consists of Clinique oily skin facial bar soap, Clearasil maximum strength acne pads, and Perricone skin products. Perricone is great stuff, but it's not cheap. I use their facial contour cream, facial finishing moisturizer, and concentrative restorative cream. I use these once daily at bedtime. I may end up altering this depending on what information I get from my derm at the next appointment.

16) I have used steroid ointment on my face and body before. I will never do this again.

17) I do have hard, unsoftened tap water

I hope all this helps. Let me know how things go.
    I have used bare minerals and for a while, I thought that the bare minerals did something to cause my skin problems. Because I remember having itching and sharp pang sensations on my skin that started when I was using the makeup, but I ignored it stupidly. And my skin seemed to be getting drier and I remember seeing tiny bumps forming on my face like the bumps I have now, but I just thought it was acne that would go away. I think I can remember seeing some indented kind of skin forming too. I still sometimes think the bare minerals did this to my skin. That stuff too is so finely milled it can stay in the skin for a long time. I have read up on people who have had problems since using it and some people who still have had the makeup in their skin for a long time and have had stinging/tingling/itching feelings long after using it. Bare minerals has glass in it I think cause it has a glittery look to it and that probably caused cuts in the pores and skin which damaged nerve endings I think and could have caused bumps and fissures from bumps. I keep thinking my skin is trying to get the make-up out still and get the glass out or something and it's forming bumps and these odd tiny spores I have on my skin because of it.

I have had a glycolic peel done once. I already sort of had a problem on my face with the pink skin but only in one area on my face and then it all spread to other areas...this happened some time after the glycolic peel which wasn't even that strong or anything and it was added to a facial I was having. But I wonder if it did something bad to my skin in the long run. Maybe destroyed something in my skin.

I only asked about the lime juice because for a few days before I used the Duac topical gel that lightened my skin, I was giving myself a lemon and sea salt face scrub because I was trying to exfoliate my skin and I remember using it earlier that day before I used the Duac, so I thought for a while maybe the lemon was so acidic that it damaged the integrity or collage of my skin which led to a spiral downards to where it's at now. I guess that's a stretch but I am considering everything. Lime juice by the way is supposed to lighten the skin.

I have been prone to yeast infections.

I have used mupirocin ointment.

I have used steroid on my face in conjuction with mupirocin ointment as well particularly the year before my problems began, I had to use it on my face for a while (like only 1.5 weeks of use) to heal up my skin from chemical burns from using hydrogen peroxide. I rubbed it too much onto my skin that gave myself chemical burns when I was trying to get rid of acne scars. Sad part is, my skin healed wonderfully from the burns and it looks like nothing had ever happened to my face. And yet now, I am dealing with who knows what and I can't get my skin to heal!

I did have hard unsoftened tap water but I just bought the other day a Sprite shower filter and hope that it is doing something good and helping. Who knows.
    Last edited by birdsing; 2nd March 2012 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
    ...Bare minerals has glass in it I think cause it has a glittery look to it and that probably caused cuts in the pores and skin which damaged nerve endings I think and could have caused bumps and fissures from bumps. I keep thinking my skin is trying to get the make-up out still and get the glass out or something and it's forming bumps and these odd tiny spores I have on my skin because of it...
    By glass do you mean silica? I've never read the ingredients on that makeup; I had no idea. Sometimes, I steam my face and this really seems to help. I do a very basic at-home facial - it's simple really - I just boil water, put lemon juice in it, lean over the steaming pot with a towel partially over my head and stay there for a while. I leave enough space between the towel and face so that some of the steam escapes and I don't burn my skin. If I do this weekly, it makes a huge difference. I do not know if lemon juice has a potential to cause problems for rosacea, though, so you may want to just use water. And I never thought about the hard water thing, that it could potentially cause problems. I am starting to think most anything can be a trigger for allergies or act as an irritant, depending on your skin and situation. Maybe you could use distilled water for your steam facial?

I don't know anything about glycolic peels. I have heard people remark on the difference it made with their complexion, but I tend to not want to use chemicals that are too harsh (even though now I am willing to overload my body with chemicals). I used Clearasil acne pads for a few years and those were really stronger than I preferred. Now that I have this scarring and am likely to get more, I may resort to doing one. I would like to restore my skin to a smoother surface, if possible. I have pigmented skin in areas, on my face and neck, and purchased some expensive SKI II skin lightening cream, thinking it would help. But, my face was not clear for so long, I did not not want to add anything else to it to cause more irritation. Now, I do not know what products may trigger my allergies, so I may use it when these mites are gone and will post my results with it if I do.

I have not tried hydrogen peroxide on my face yet. But, I do plan to try the borax/hydrogen peroxide mixture as a toner/topical once I have stopped the chemical Eurax and permethrin creams. Borax is a laundry additive that has bleaching properties to it, just as hydrogen peroxide does. I will see if these even my skin tone before using the SKI II cream. It does seem like a harsh mixture to put on your face. I just feel compelled to try most anything at this point.

Someone mentioned on another thread that demodex don't burrow tunnels in your skin, that scabies do. I have seen many demodex positive dogs and their skin is rough and has holes and is very thickened, at least in chronic cases. I have thought I might have a concurrent scabies (another mite) infestation also due to the level of itchiness I experience. But, those were not seen on my biopsy. So, my reason for telling you this is there may be other reasons fissure scars develop. I really don't know.

You do not have to address mites in your environment, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try, in case I was simply becoming reinfestated due to my feather pillow harboring them or the hypoallergenic laundry detergent not cleaning my sheets well enough. Now I wash my sheets, bath towels, and most clothing in hot water and add TTO or enzymatic cleaner to each load. Just in case I have an abundance of them in my environment, I am trying to reduce their population. I don't think this will prevent me from getting reinfested, but it will help, I hope, until I strengthen my immune system.

I know less about bed bugs than I do about human demodex, but if you had one type of bug, it seems logical to assume you could have another bug problem, or you could have a problem from the bed bugs causing your face to react. Does the derm know you had the bed bug issue? If not, I would tell him.

I am still learning how to strengthen the immune system. I plan to do a cleanse (liver and colon) followed by probiotics and whatever supplements I read are good for increasing immunity. I am just starting to learn about this - I will share what I learn as I progress.

Talk to you soon!

By glass do you mean silica? I've never read the ingredients on that makeup; I had no idea. Sometimes, I steam my face and this really seems to help. I do a very basic at-home facial - it's simple really - I just boil water, put lemon juice in it, lean over the steaming pot with a towel partially over my head and stay there for a while. I leave enough space between the towel and face so that some of the steam escapes and I don't burn my skin. If I do this weekly, it makes a huge difference. I do not know if lemon juice has a potential to cause problems for rosacea, though, so you may want to just use water. And I never thought about the hard water thing, that it could potentially cause problems. I am starting to think most anything can be a trigger for allergies or act as an irritant, depending on your skin and situation. Maybe you could use distilled water for your steam facial?

I don't know anything about glycolic peels. I have heard people remark on the difference it made with their complexion, but I tend to not want to use chemicals that are too harsh (even though now I am willing to overload my body with chemicals). I used Clearasil acne pads for a few years and those were really stronger than I preferred. Now that I have this scarring and am likely to get more, I may resort to doing one. I would like to restore my skin to a smoother surface, if possible. I have pigmented skin in areas, on my face and neck, and purchased some expensive SKI II skin lightening cream, thinking it would help. But, my face was not clear for so long, I did not not want to add anything else to it to cause more irritation. Now, I do not know what products may trigger my allergies, so I may use it when these mites are gone and will post my results with it if I do.

I have not tried hydrogen peroxide on my face yet. But, I do plan to try the borax/hydrogen peroxide mixture as a toner/topical once I have stopped the chemical Eurax and permethrin creams. Borax is a laundry additive that has bleaching properties to it, just as hydrogen peroxide does. I will see if these even my skin tone before using the SKI II cream. It does seem like a harsh mixture to put on your face. I just feel compelled to try most anything at this point.

Someone mentioned on another thread that demodex don't burrow tunnels in your skin, that scabies do. I have seen many demodex positive dogs and their skin is rough and has holes and is very thickened, at least in chronic cases. I have thought I might have a concurrent scabies (another mite) infestation also due to the level of itchiness I experience. But, those were not seen on my biopsy. So, my reason for telling you this is there may be other reasons fissure scars develop. I really don't know.

You do not have to address mites in your environment, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try, in case I was simply becoming reinfestated due to my feather pillow harboring them or the hypoallergenic laundry detergent not cleaning my sheets well enough. Now I wash my sheets, bath towels, and most clothing in hot water and add TTO or enzymatic cleaner to each load. Just in case I have an abundance of them in my environment, I am trying to reduce their population. I don't think this will prevent me from getting reinfested, but it will help, I hope, until I strengthen my immune system.

I know less about bed bugs than I do about human demodex, but if you had one type of bug, it seems logical to assume you could have another bug problem, or you could have a problem from the bed bugs causing your face to react. Does the derm know you had the bed bug issue? If not, I would tell him.

I am still learning how to strengthen the immune system. I plan to do a cleanse (liver and colon) followed by probiotics and whatever supplements I read are good for increasing immunity. I am just starting to learn about this - I will share what I learn as I progress.

Talk to you soon!
    I actually am not sure what is the glass part. Maybe it is the silica. I remember reading it somewhere when I was furiously researching bare minerals when I believed it was the culprit.

But it has something called bismuth oxychloride which a lot of people ended up having huge problems with. It's real bad for the skin. People complained of stinging, itching, pricking sensations after using it and these people developed lots of bumps, strange skin, and some may have developed redness I believe from what I had seen on forums months ago.

I'm going to definitely start steaming my face that is a great idea! I won't use lemon like you said just to be on the safe side. I will probably used distilled water too. After steaming, do you have to wait for your pores to close up before applying things like TTO and moisturizer?

I have heard good things about glycolic peels. My skin did look better for a little while after getting one, but I don't know if in the long run it made my skin weaker and more susceptible to problems and more sensitive.

Hm, that is interesting about a form of scabies like what you mentioned. My mom told me she had scabies once and it is the worst experience and she had sores on her body, so that's why I ruled out the idea of scabies but maybe it's still possible if there are different kinds of scabies. But scabies are transferred easily from person to person, so my parents would be having problems too like me.

Please let me know how the Borax and the skin ligthening cream work. I defintely have areas that are pigmented as well...pigmented with red/pink skin...and I wonder if skin ligthening cream would work on those areas.

I don't seem to think that my skin problems are from bed bugs only because my skin problems began months before we started getting bites from bed bugs. The derm doesn't know about the bed bugs. That is a great idea, I should let him know, but I bet he won't think anything of it. I don't think my derm believes in mites lol.

I have tried probiotic drinks- I tried Kombucha. It seemed to help my skin a tiny bit, but I noticed it only helped if I didn't eat most of the day. I had a friend who drank Kombucha and basically fasted on it for a week and a half and he said his wart on his ear shriveled up.