Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Why don't derms know about sugar/carbs?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    29

    Default Why don't derms know about sugar/carbs?

    I have been to three reputable derms. I live in Philadelphia and am able to see some top docs. Everyone I have asked about carbs or sugar. They all gave the same line we all know. Avoid hot food, spicy food, acidic and coffee. Got that covered but I still break out everyday. I know my diet has good and bad carbs in it. Ever doc I have seen denies carbs. I tell them about the forum and about sugar. They shrug their shoulders. Very frustrating ! Rosacea is common....I feel like it should be a rare disease with they way I get treated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Centre, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    5,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rochellek View Post
    I have been to three reputable derms. I live in Philadelphia and am able to see some top docs. Everyone I have asked about carbs or sugar. They all gave the same line we all know. Avoid hot food, spicy food, acidic and coffee. Got that covered but I still break out everyday. I know my diet has good and bad carbs in it. Ever doc I have seen denies carbs. I tell them about the forum and about sugar. They shrug their shoulders. Very frustrating ! Rosacea is common....I feel like it should be a rare disease with they way I get treated.
    If you will note the 'official' rosacea trigger list from the NRS, it omits sugar and carbohydrate. The docs go by this list because the big pharmaceutical companies such as Galderma, Intendis, Steifel, Candela and Cover FX give donations to the NRS. This influences physicians into parroting the NRS trigger list of hot food and drink, spicy food and alcohol. I have been trying for years to explain that sugar and carbohydrate are just as valid a trigger for rosacea as any one the the triggers the NRS proposes on its list. The proof is simply anecdotal reports from this rosacea forum and others like this, which is just as valid as any NRS poll or survey which is where the 'official' NRS trigger list came from. If you want to help the RRDi I suggest you join since the more members we can gather the more voice we have. The NRS says it has gathered together 70,000 individuals who have donated to their non profit organization. You would think that would be easy but it takes a lot of money to do that and most of the donations to the NRS comes from pharmaceutical companies. That does give the NRS an edge in influencing physicians. Money talks. And the NRS hires a couple of private contractors to be sure that what the NRS says gets into dermatologists hands. These two private contractors receive about 60% of the donated funds and are also owned by the director of the NRS. For more info click here.

    I have been advocating a low glycemic diet to control rosacea for over twelve years. You can receive a free copy of my book by clicking here.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi



  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rochellek View Post
    I have been to three reputable derms. I live in Philadelphia and am able to see some top docs. Everyone I have asked about carbs or sugar. They all gave the same line we all know. Avoid hot food, spicy food, acidic and coffee. Got that covered but I still break out everyday. I know my diet has good and bad carbs in it. Ever doc I have seen denies carbs. I tell them about the forum and about sugar. They shrug their shoulders. Very frustrating ! Rosacea is common....I feel like it should be a rare disease with they way I get treated.
    Yes, I've gotten the same response from several Derms, they don't believe sugar/carbs impact rosacea. I also asked my Genearl Practitioner about diet and possible bacterial overgrowth in my digestive tract causing rosacea and he looked at me like I had two heads and told me that rosacea was genetic and I could do little to make it go away!

    I've been low sugar/carbs for 6+ months now and while it has not made my rosacea magically disappear, it has helped. And my overall health is better on this diet. I do not have the daily energy spikes (highs and lows) like I did when eating lots of carbs. I've also noticed that if I cheat on my diet, like I did around the Holidays, I get more P&Ps. So for me, the low carb diet does help. At first the low carb diet is difficult but eventually becomes second nature.

    Give it s try, you've got nothing to lose.

    -Dave-

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flying_er View Post
    Yes, I've gotten the same response from several Derms, they don't believe sugar/carbs impact rosacea. I also asked my Genearl Practitioner about diet and possible bacterial overgrowth in my digestive tract causing rosacea and he looked at me like I had two heads and told me that rosacea was genetic and I could do little to make it go away!

    I've been low sugar/carbs for 6+ months now and while it has not made my rosacea magically disappear, it has helped. And my overall health is better on this diet. I do not have the daily energy spikes (highs and lows) like I did when eating lots of carbs. I've also noticed that if I cheat on my diet, like I did around the Holidays, I get more P&Ps. So for me, the low carb diet does help. At first the low carb diet is difficult but eventually becomes second nature.

    Give it s try, you've got nothing to lose.

    -Dave-
    Hmm, I guess if you ever look at medical books the space given to rosacea is about half a sentence and usually says it affects people over 50, particularly women, and the cause is unknown.

    Unless the derm himself has had the disease he has not done any thinking about it.

    Having been around the sun several times, this is my thinking and I'm sticking to it.

    G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    284

    Default

    part of the problem in ireland were im from is that the derms are so busy you need to wait 3 months unless u get lucky and get a cancellation. when u do get to see them they dont have time to look at things that may help or not help, ie either not proven , accepted or else they dont believe in such treatments whether demodex mites or stomach gut issues.
    All they do is give you the standard metrogel or tetracycline or whatever it is they dont even seem to be willing to give clondine or something similar to help flushing.


    However i have started seeing a doctor who deals in unexplained illnessess who is willing to try other stuff such as help stomach gut issues and demodex mites. however while he is not maybe fully knowledgeable on all things he will listen. i tried the stomach gut issues which helped a little, got oral ivermectin for demodex but not enough of it only one dose to know if it makes any difference. What i have figured out though is that smoking and nicotine which my derms didnt think would affect my skin have a big impact causes stomach issues and skin flushing.

    The doctor isnt great but at least is the best option at the moment, he gives you 45 minute appointments and while not cheap it is the same cost as seeing a derm for 5 mins.

    Therefore if you want to get someone to give you off label treatment i would recommend you find a doctor who is willing to listen.

    M

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    If you will note the 'official' rosacea trigger list from the NRS, it omits sugar and carbohydrate. The docs go by this list because the big pharmaceutical companies such as Galderma, Intendis, Steifel, Candela and Cover FX give donations to the NRS. This influences physicians into parroting the NRS trigger list of hot food and drink, spicy food and alcohol. I have been trying for years to explain that sugar and carbohydrate are just as valid a trigger for rosacea as any one the the triggers the NRS proposes on its list. The proof is simply anecdotal reports from this rosacea forum and others like this, which is just as valid as any NRS poll or survey which is where the 'official' NRS trigger list came from. If you want to help the RRDi I suggest you join since the more members we can gather the more voice we have. The NRS says it has gathered together 70,000 individuals who have donated to their non profit organization. You would think that would be easy but it takes a lot of money to do that and most of the donations to the NRS comes from pharmaceutical companies. That does give the NRS an edge in influencing physicians. Money talks. And the NRS hires a couple of private contractors to be sure that what the NRS says gets into dermatologists hands. These two private contractors receive about 60% of the donated funds and are also owned by the director of the NRS. For more info click here.

    I have been advocating a low glycemic diet to control rosacea for over twelve years. You can receive a free copy of my book by clicking here.
    Brady, registration does not work. It says I do not have permission.

  7. #7
    Senior Member dave75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    568

    Default re

    brady nailed it...follow the money...and the reason is known....also there are some derms that are just trolls pure and simple.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    284

    Default in partial defence of derms

    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    brady nailed it...follow the money...and the reason is known....also there are some derms that are just trolls pure and simple.

    Just a few thoughts..

    Rosacea from what i see on this forum can be either just due to someones skin type im irish and even people who dont have rosacea often have spider veins and some facail redness so to classify all these people as having rosacea would mean prob 30 percent of the country would be affected. If you dont have the classic fair skin type which is prone to redness and have probs with ibs or demodex or some other prob ie autoimmune then by fixing that you may see a great improvement is skin, even if you have fair skin you may get some improvement.

    However some studies link ibs or demodex to rosacea have not been proven conclusively and beyond all doubt. Therefore if all derms started going down the route of getting patients to follow something a course of action not sufficently medically proven they may get the rep as quacks.

    The issue i would have with rosacea is that in my it is not understood what causes it and the current classifaction is to simple or misleading at least to newly diagnosed patients as what causes redness in one person differs from another. It seems to me to be more of a vascular problem than a direct skin issue for alot of people and one needs to identify any underlying probs such as ibs or autoimmune probs or whatever it is first to see if they play a role in their condition. However in ireland it takes at least three months to get an appointment with a derm which can last 5 -20 mins depending on who you see. Therefore to expect them to listen to a myriad of possible probs you may have i have learned is foolhardy as they just dont have the time and if they are seeing other patients with bad skin all day they may not consider you a special case. What i did was that i found a doctor who is a general practioneer who specialies in unexplained illnesses and will spend the time dealing with issues such as demodex or ibs etc and this course of action whilst it hasnt led to any major breakthrough does allow me to at least feel im been listened to and for me to rule out certain possible causes.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Centre, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    5,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rochellek View Post
    I have been to three reputable derms. I live in Philadelphia and am able to see some top docs. Everyone I have asked about carbs or sugar. They all gave the same line we all know. Avoid hot food, spicy food, acidic and coffee. Got that covered but I still break out everyday. I know my diet has good and bad carbs in it. Ever doc I have seen denies carbs. I tell them about the forum and about sugar. They shrug their shoulders. Very frustrating ! Rosacea is common....I feel like it should be a rare disease with they way I get treated.
    Rochellek,

    I thought you started a great thread. Just found it again. Just wanted to ask you if reducing sugar and carbohydrate improved your rosacea?
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi



  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rochellek View Post
    I have been to three reputable derms. I live in Philadelphia and am able to see some top docs. Everyone I have asked about carbs or sugar. They all gave the same line we all know. Avoid hot food, spicy food, acidic and coffee. Got that covered but I still break out everyday. I know my diet has good and bad carbs in it. Ever doc I have seen denies carbs. I tell them about the forum and about sugar. They shrug their shoulders. Very frustrating ! Rosacea is common....I feel like it should be a rare disease with they way I get treated.
    I noticed that when I was diagnosed, my dermatologist handed me the list of things to avoid. She told me she had rosacea herself. I asked her is she watched what she ate and she said no, she just uses topicals and gets IPL treatments. I was very surprised that she did not talk more about diet. I was suspecting rosacea for a month before my appointment and had already read about how diet change can help, meanwhile she was only interested in giving me prescriptions and hurrying me out the door.

Similar Threads

  1. carbs minus fiber ?
    By willie in forum Diet, lifestyle and relationships
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12th February 2013, 12:12 PM
  2. Article about Protein, Glucose and Carbs
    By Ghost in forum Diet, lifestyle and relationships
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 7th January 2012, 02:59 PM
  3. Carbs you can handle?
    By daftpunk in forum Diet, lifestyle and relationships
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th July 2010, 10:30 AM
  4. carbs
    By shamrock in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23rd September 2008, 08:49 PM
  5. Just how bad are carbs?
    By flemmo in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29th March 2008, 09:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •