Thread: Has anyone had Botox injected in their ears for flushing?

Default Has anyone had Botox injected in their ears for flushing?

My ears have flushed quite badly for the last few years since my Rosacea started. As my face has improved flushing wise, so have my ears but they are still a problem for me. I have had them done with IPL and V-beam which seems to help the lobes but it is really hard to get into the "nook and crannies" of my ears with the IPL and V-beam hand piece.

So my question is has anyone heard of or had Botox injected in their ears for flushing and has it helped? If so by how much has the flushing reduced? And does it stop all types of flushing, heat, cold weather, alcohol etc?

On a side not i am thinking about trying Mirtazapine for my ear flushing. Can anyone give me a heads up on this?

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Hey i read somewhere that botox helps too, let me know if it works? Also have you had v-beam for the flushing on ur cheeks? and did it work?? thanks!

I have had my entire face injected with subcutaneous botox and it did nothing for my severe and painful facial flushing. I can't remember if my pain mgt dr did my ears or not, but my ears do flush and are quite painful. Anyway, just wanted to say it did not work for me, but there have been some papers written saying it helped a few people, so you may try a test spot first. In fact, if it's just your ears, you may just go ahead and try it because there shouldn't be any negative effects. It won't give you a lopsided smile!

As for vbeam, I have been getting Perfecta txs, which is the newer vbeam and it has helped a little. I also take plaquenil, which may help a small amount, but nothing dramatic.

Best of luck!
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Aprblush View Post
    Hey i read somewhere that botox helps too, let me know if it works? Also have you had v-beam for the flushing on ur cheeks? and did it work?? thanks!
    Yea i have had 3 V-beams for flushing on my cheeks and the results have been really good. I pre-flushed before hand using a cold air blower which i believe opens up the superficial vessels for the V-beam to destroy. I still have a bit of deep flushing but i am hoping to have a few treatments with the Gemini Nd:Yag 1064 to knock that back.

Hopefully will be getting my ears done with botox in the next 5-6 weeks so will let you know how it works out.

Hiya

I had a test patch done once with botox on the ears. It caused quite a lot of bruising. But Dr Soldo in Arizona certainly does botox ears quite regularly. Botox treatment doesn't last for very long - maximum of six months, usually less.

Mirtazapine definitely does help ear flushing. A combination of mirtazapine and clonidine should really help make the ear flushing more bearable. If it was me, I'd try the medications first before the IPL or botox.

In terms of light treatments, IPL seems to work much better for most people than Vbeam on the ears. The Vbeam and other lasers seem to unsettle the ears far more than other parts of the face, sometimes causing a lot of flushing for months after the treatments. I have had multiple IPL treatments on the ears and have also read many other good reports of ear treatments with IPL. The key thing is to have multiple IPL treatments and not to raise the settings too high. The IPL machines can be fitted with different size treatment heads, and the smaller sized heads can help to get inside the small intricate areas on the ears.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    Hiya

I had a test patch done once with botox on the ears. It caused quite a lot of bruising. But Dr Soldo in Arizona certainly does botox ears quite regularly. Botox treatment doesn't last for very long - maximum of six months, usually less.

Mirtazapine definitely does help ear flushing. A combination of mirtazapine and clonidine should really help make the ear flushing more bearable. If it was me, I'd try the medications first before the IPL or botox.

In terms of light treatments, IPL seems to work much better for most people than Vbeam on the ears. The Vbeam and other lasers seem to unsettle the ears far more than other parts of the face, sometimes causing a lot of flushing for months after the treatments. I have had multiple IPL treatments on the ears and have also read many other good reports of ear treatments with IPL. The key thing is to have multiple IPL treatments and not to raise the settings too high. The IPL machines can be fitted with different size treatment heads, and the smaller sized heads can help to get inside the small intricate areas on the ears.
    Hey

I am keen to try Mirtazapine as i have read it is quite good for ear flushing. Clonidine and me don't mix so won't be giving that a go. Does Mirtazapine stop all kinds of flushing: alcohol, exercise, emotions, cold weather etc? And are there any side effects? Thanks

Sam

Mirtazapine may help with some of the triggers, but ideally it's best to avoid alcohol if you have rosacea flushing, or at least have it only infrequently. It depends partly how bad your flushing is. Mirtazapine makes the response to the triggers less extreme, although you will probably still get some flushing. It may help, for example, for a flush to calm down quicker.

Moxonodine is similar to clonidine, and some people tolerate it better than clonidine.
    Last edited by antwantsclear; 27th January 2012 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    Mirtazapine may help with some of the triggers, but ideally it's best to avoid alcohol if you have rosacea flushing, or at least have it only infrequently. It depends partly how bad your flushing is. Mirtazapine makes the response to the triggers less extreme, although you will probably still get some flushing. It may help, for example, for a flush to calm down quicker.

Moxonodine is similar to clonidine, and some people tolerate it better than clonidine.
    Ok cool. One last question, what dose do you take of the Mirtazapine?

The dose in rosacea is usually 15mg once per day.