Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Demodex Mites. Lots of Questions About Them

Default Demodex Mites. Lots of Questions About Them

Ok, so I actually thought this whole Demodex mites on the face causing redness thing to be silly and didn't think of it as a possibility. But now I'm getting curious and have questions for anyone experienced and knowledgeable in the area.

If Demodex does exist and cause redness on the face associated with rosacea, why does it happen in a pattern (butterfly rash) and why only on the face? Why aren't mites overgrowing on the neck or the chest and rosacea redness appearing there too.

Do Demodex mites cause little bumps? Perhaps filled with keratin? And large open pores and blackheads? Pustules? Or just the red skin?

What are symptoms to knowing you have them? Can a doctor test your skin for mites?

What are some ways mite overproduction can occur? Because why would some people start having a mite problem out of nowhere in adult age.

I'm wondering if it's possible that I have a mite overproduction and am back tracking to think that since I think my problems all started when I tried using Duac acne gel (an antibiotic gel for acne prescribed by a derm) and an hour after my first application, noticed lighter skin spots that were perhaps bleached on random areas of my face an hour or so after use. Those areas still are not very much affected and the color remains light and seems to match the pale color of my skin so I can't tell anymore if it' s bleached skin or my actual color, BUT the areas around it about 3-4 months later slowly grew red, inflamed, bumpy to extreme severity before suddenly "breaking" and lessening in severity. I am just trying to figure out how the Duac could have caused mite overpopulation only on the face and in random spots that have lasted for 11 months now.

Should I try the Duac again? Maybe it actually was clearing up my skin? I just can't believe how fast it did something. It basically caused pigmentation to get lighter perhaps but it's so hard to tell because it seems to be the normal color of my skin. But after it happened, I started noticing slowly that my face was pink and that spot was light and then slowly I got pink spots and bumps that formed.

You can begin your search by clicking here.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Red face

Brady, I clicked over to your page and got itchy.

birdsing, mites are not a myth.

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Thank you for the responses. Well, in that case, I am wondering how are some ways that the mites can become a problem enough to cause skin problems and redness? I'm trying to figure out if it's possible that the Duac gel did something to overpopulate the mites or cause an imbalance in the skin and cause them to scurry and build up in the areas where I'm having bad skin on my face. It's a far off theory I guess but I wonder if it's possible and if anyone can shed any thought on what they think if they have some knowledge with mites and what causes them to become a problem.

the mites could have just kept growing from whatever was feeding them (stress, bad diet...). The Duac eradicated the bacteria for a while. But as we know bactericides don't work forever. So, when the Duac stopped working the mite and their bacteria carried on.

I've never heard of rosacea getting better spontaneously. It always seems to get worse. The Duac just disguised the symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
    Thank you for the responses. Well, in that case, I am wondering how are some ways that the mites can become a problem enough to cause skin problems and redness? I'm trying to figure out if it's possible that the Duac gel did something to overpopulate the mites or cause an imbalance in the skin and cause them to scurry and build up in the areas where I'm having bad skin on my face. It's a far off theory I guess but I wonder if it's possible and if anyone can shed any thought on what they think if they have some knowledge with mites and what causes them to become a problem.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

First, you need a baseline demodex density count to start from. If you have never had a skin scraping and demodex density count then there is no data to start from. If you saw this thread about testing for demodex, and the post above I referred earlier that refers to how to test for demodex. Concluding that Duac has anything to do with demodex is premature and there has never been any reports of this nor any papers alluding to this. The only mention of demodex density increasing is with use of steroids.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

I used Benozyl Peroxide for a while once, only around my mouth, nose & forehead - all of which are not red. I noticed during the time I used BP that my cheeks werent as noticably red, although the rest of my face was on-fire, it may have just blended together, however there was no longer that distinct line between the two.

Can Benozyl peroxide kill Demodex mites or cause a further increase of them?

J1992.

Hi i am a 29 yr ols female - after developing a strange POD type rash unilaterally in january, one derm told me it qas wczema and to use cortisone then a second derm told me it may be adult acne and put me on accutane..I usually have no skin problems besides ultra sensitive skin but my face had also suddenly become more oily.. I have beem taking accutane for 5 wks and dropped back to20 mg every two days as I was getting extreme burning. Since being on it my usually small pores have enlarged on my nose and now my cheeks on both sides and I have just recently developed strange raises track like lines all over my cheeks, increasing daily!! Also random spots at the end of the lines. I have has a weird fluid like bump by my nasolabial fold for 3 months and seem to be getring more weird swellings.. Does this sound like demodex?? I am so depressed, confused and just about at the end of the line. .pls help me I am so confused..

Jess

Quote Originally Posted by aussiechick84 View Post
    Hi i am a 29 yr ols female - after developing a strange POD type rash unilaterally in january, one derm told me it qas wczema and to use cortisone then a second derm told me it may be adult acne and put me on accutane..I usually have no skin problems besides ultra sensitive skin but my face had also suddenly become more oily.. I have beem taking accutane for 5 wks and dropped back to20 mg every two days as I was getting extreme burning. Since being on it my usually small pores have enlarged on my nose and now my cheeks on both sides and I have just recently developed strange raises track like lines all over my cheeks, increasing daily!! Also random spots at the end of the lines. I have has a weird fluid like bump by my nasolabial fold for 3 months and seem to be getring more weird swellings.. Does this sound like demodex?? I am so depressed, confused and just about at the end of the line. .pls help me I am so confused..

Jess
    Diagnosing what your skin issue can be confusing, and it is not uncommon to be misdiagnosed. You need to go back to the doctor who prescribed the accutane or at the very least call his office and explain your condition and what you are describing above to your physician and let him know clearly that you need his attention to this immediately. He is the one that needs to know that the treatment is wanting and especially your emotional condition with this. Accutane doesn't work for everyone. You might want to read the anecdotal reports of those who say accutane is wanting and not for everyone. Depression is one of the possible side effects of taking accutane. For more info.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Thanks a lot for your reply Brady, I did go and speak to my derm and he said it is just 'normal skin changes' from accutane and you need to be prepared for these things?! So I spoke to the other one and he said the roaccutane was aggravating my dermatitis..I am so confused and have no idea what action to take I really feel that I have demodex and these strange lines are getting more and more each day..I am having some very bad thoughts with all this and feel as though I have been misdiagnosed. Would most derms do a demodex skin scraping?