Thread: Endocrinologist for flushing? - Advice/experience?

Default Endocrinologist for flushing? - Advice/experience?

Hey guys, my GP has reffered me to an Endocrinologist about my flushing. But im really not sure if this will help in any way. My flushing started after Accutane and a topical retinoid.

Anybody else visit an Endocrinologist for flushing?

Any advice/experience is greatly appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by pleasehelp123 View Post
    Hey guys, my GP has reffered me to an Endocrinologist about my flushing. But im really not sure if this will help in any way. My flushing started after Accutane and a topical retinoid.

Anybody else visit an Endocrinologist for flushing?

Any advice/experience is greatly appreciated!!
    I am was under an Endrocrinologist for thyroid issues (long before I had rosacea) some think that a weak immune system or auto-immune issues can be at the heart

of rosacea????

Perhaps that's you GP's thinking?

J
    SUFFER FROM NEUROPATHIC ROSACEA & OCULAR ROSACEA SINCE 2002.

*Vit D3,Theratears Omega 3.

*LDN since October 2018.

*REN skincare range. TARTE cosmetics.

*Tried Clonidine, Moxonidine & Atenolol (None being taken at present ).

*Yearly IPL treatments until 2009.

* RLT Journey!" (Sept 09) **Using Britebox Revive..(Stopped ).

History of Hyperthyroidism (Graves) Lichen Planus (oral)
    PROUD TO BE DIFFERENT

I think there is the potential for endocrinology to be helpful as part of rosacea research, researching the various chemical processes in the body that lead to flushing (in response to food consumption, temperature changes etc). However, I've never heard of so far an endocrinologist with a particular interest in rosacea. It would be interesting to know if the specific endocrinologist you've been referred to does have an interest in rosacea. If they do, then they could be helpful, but otherwise it may be difficult for them to assist.

Are there any particular medications that you have tried so far specifically to treat the flushing? Any new ones you or your GP would like you to try - your GP may have a particular medication in mind that the endocrinologist might be able to advise about prescribing?
    Last edited by antwantsclear; 19th January 2012 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    I think there is the potential for endocrinology to be helpful as part of rosacea research, researching the various chemical processes in the body that lead to flushing (in response to food consumption, temperature changes etc). However, I've never heard of so far an endocrinologist with a particular interest in rosacea. It would be interesting to know if the specific endocrinologist you've been referred to does have an interest in rosacea. If they do, then they could be helpful, but otherwise it may be difficult for them to assist.

Are there any particular medications that you have tried so far specifically to treat the flushing? Any new ones you or your GP would like you to try - your GP may have a particular medication in mind that the endocrinologist might be able to advise about prescribing?
    I am currently taking Propranolol, Clonidine and Mirtazapine .. all prescribed on request of my GP. I dont think he has anything in mind exactly, which is why im interested to know if anybody else found an endocrinologist to be helpful for flushing issues.

It sounds like you have tried a lot of the first options for flushing already.

It will be interesting to see whether the endocrinologist has any good ideas. The kind of ways that endocrinology can potentially help is in understanding how to regulate insulin in the body (which can lead to flushing reactions) and other hormone/chemical production processes in the body.

Let us know what the endocrinologist suggests... :-) When is your appointment?

It sounds like you have tried a lot of the first options for flushing already.

It will be interesting to see whether the endocrinologist has any good ideas. The kind of ways that endocrinology can potentially help is in understanding how to regulate insulin in the body (which can lead to flushing reactions) and other hormone/chemical production processes in the body.

Let us know what the endocrinologist suggests... :-) When is your appointment?
    Thanks for your replies, very helpful. My appointment is this tuesday, i guess there cant be any harm in going, might pick up some useful information.

I think ideally a second opinion from another derm would be helpful, as the derm i was seeing referred me straight to lasers when i mentioned flushing.

Nice of him to tell me to stop accutane treatment when this flushing started, if only id known!

Was the endocrinologist able to help at all? :-)

Was the endocrinologist able to help at all? :-)
    Hey there. Short answer no, she didnt.

She did her very best to understand what my condition was, and even called my dermatologist during the appointment to try and understand the situation. But at the end of the day, she isnt a skin doctor, so she just reccommended tests in her area of diseases. To check just incase there was the small percentage my flushing was caused by a rare disease.

I dont intend to go ahead with these tests as i know what was the cause of my flushing (Accutane and a topical retinoid). And to do the tests i need to get off my flushing meds - Clonidine, Propranolol and Mirtazapine. I think a second opinion from another derm sounds like the way to go.

Thanks for the comments guys!!

The anti-malarial medications (mepacrine or plaquenil) sometimes help in accutane induced rosacea if mirtazapine and clonidine don't work well enough.

Hi there,
    I visited an Endocrinologist and did the tests i guess you are referring to (24 hour urine tests and bloods for hormone levels), I didn't have a diagnosis of rosacea at the time so my GPs thinking was to rule out any hormone imbalance or unusual type cancers. Tests came back negative and a year on I suggested to my dermatologist that i have rosacea. No other diagnoses have been suggested so this burning/flushing that is now constant I believe is rosacea. I guess its good to rule out as much as you