Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nose Swelling, big pores, phymous tissue--please post!

Quote Originally Posted by gobutkus View Post
    Ok guys (and gals) here is what I wrote on another forum regarding the recovery from CO2 Laser :

Procedure : 30 minutes--nose is 100% numb, no pain, covered in a bandage (looks like a broken nose)
    I had procedure done on Friday morning . Off from work until following 2nd Monday. 10 full days.
    No medication (retin a ) on nose for 30 days.

Today is day #3.
    My nose is red, oozing and scabbing--no swelling, no pain . All expected.
    I am using ice compression(water + vinegar) every 2 hours--ice for the swelling, vinegar to kill any bacteria .
    I can see little bits of pink skin around the edges coming thru already...this is very encouraging
    Doctor visit, Day #5
    Nose appearance: still scabbing and oozing, but reducing each day. Pinkish new skin coming in more and
    more each day. Painless, although some itchiness.Its sort of similar to have a "scabbed" knee as a kid ---
    but on the nose....
    Doctor visit, Day #10
    Nose appearance: All scabbing has cleared. Mostly just a mix of new pink skin coming in + still healing red skin.
    Today is my first public appearance day (without a bandage on nose) and also my first exercise day. Overall
    appearance is amazing----nose looks skinnier, smoother/rounded, and scars have less depth. The areas where
    there was 'thickening of the skin' , now looks more thinner.
    2 Week update:
    I am now fully integrated into regular life cycle: work, exercise, lunches out, etc...
    Redness remains but goes down a tad each day---some dry spots.Still looks a little rough.
    3- 3.5 weeks post procedure Update:
    *Still noticeably red on nose , some dryness and slight crusting.
    *Blackheads came back with a flurry ---amazing to see how quickly they developed and spread. I was allowed to
    start back up on Finacea and Retin A which virtually 'wiped out' the blackheads in 3-4 days.This confirms my April
    suggestion that Finacea works particularly well on blackheads.
    * I have lost some of my early enthusiasm , but I still see greatly improved 'depth' of scarring and a more
    streamlined and even appearance of nose......just waiting for the redness to fade away.
    Time will tell folks, recovery on this procedure moves at a snails pace (this was the biggest complaint on the forums).

Final analysis and 'rating'
    Classical CO2 Laser surgery

Purpose of surgery: To remove layers of 'skin thickening' found on the top half of nose (early stage Rhinophyma) , reduce appearance of acne scarring,and smooth out uneven surface.
    Why CO2 ? : The use of the 'classical' CO2 Laser has an effective and proven track record (several clinical studies) of treating Rhinophyma. A majority of the studies I found showed a very low risk of side effects and high patient satisfaction after 12 months post surgery. CO2 Laser is considered to be among the first lasers to be used successfully on patients. Outside of Rhinophyma patients, most Doctors have ceased the use of the classical CO2 laser. Patients seem to favor today's modern lasers, primarily because they require 1/3 the recovery time.

Procedure: In office under 30 minutes.No pain, no inconvenience. Cost $300

Recovery: Versus today's modern laser (I had Pixel earlier in the year), recovery moves at a snails pace. Scabbing, oozing, bleeding thru 3-4 days.

Scabbing and more recovery thru 9 days. Makeup (for women) starting at day 10. I wore nose bandage for 3 weeks telling most people who asked that I was elbowed' playing basketball. Redness has begun to really fade 5+ weeks, but it is still there. They say full recovery by 6 weeks, with some mild redness. I agree.

Outcome: Nose is more streamlined and surface is smoother. Skin thickening was reduced. Surprisingly decent job on the acne scarring (which were pretty deep). Unfortunately no help for the enlarged skin pores which seemed to have return to there old form (this is not a surprise).

Overall rating: 10 out of 10 for anybody with skin thickening. It works. The downside is recovery time needed as mentioned and it could be difficult to find Doctor who still has this 'classical' laser.

Hi Gobutkus,

Thanks for your extensive report. The information in your report was
    not disclosed at my two clinic visits. I will now be able to better prepare
    for the recovery with work etc. Still have to choose a clinic so still
    some way off from improving my situation. Once again thanks.

Default Controling it after surgery

Thanks, Gobutkus! Can you also let us know if you're able to control it now with retinoids, etc? That would be awesome. I'm able to control it that way now, but I don't know how it would be after surgery....worse?...better?

Tmon912,

My daily regiment has become very simple.I am in maintenance mode.
    M,W,F,Sa : Retin A (.025%) apply at night
    Tu,Thu: Finacea apply at night
    Clariton antihistamine 3-4 times a week
    Cold water wash am + pm

Post surgery, things are slightly better. I feel I have made a 70% overall improvement in facial
    complexion since I started treatment this time last year. The 30% that remains are small p&p's
    and an occasional flare up induced by poor eating---this to me, I can live with. Post surgery I
    think about it less, because I have done everything I can. I still have to adhere to a clean diet
    or else I get nailed with a flare up....again, this I can live with.

For me, the surgery was the last straw I picked to break the camels back. I have a really good mindset
    at the moment.

take care

"The 30% that remains are small p&p's
    and an occasional flare up induced by poor eating---this to me, I can live with. Post surgery I
    think about it less, because I have done everything I can. "

I TOTALLY understand, gobutkus. I think that one of the most important things mentally for this disease is knowing you've done all you can. That way we can walk around town without guilt and tell people who don't like our imperfect looks to accept it or **** off. I'm going to try the surgery thing and a maintenance program similar to yours within the first half of this year. Thanks for all your posts.

Thanks Tmon912 and Gobutkus for keeping this thread going and especially the
    maintenance for after surgery. Am currently researching clinics in Asia with view
    to locating a surgeon who has experience with our condition. Probably not likely
    but there may be some new developments in that region. Will advise if I find
    anything of note. Does anybody have a list competent surgeons with a track
    record of treating this condition.

Virtually every modern (educated within last 30 years) Dermatologist can do the surgery. It was the
    original laser surgery in the 90's.Millions of these procedures have been performed.

Find doctor by google : CO2 Laser surgery + city

Quote Originally Posted by gobutkus View Post
    Virtually every modern (educated within last 30 years) Dermatologist can do the surgery. It was the
    original laser surgery in the 90's.Millions of these procedures have been performed.

Find doctor by google : CO2 Laser surgery + city
    Yup. Right you are. I found one real quick with google, I guess, that's because I live in a big city. Thanks again for all the information. You are one of our most senior phymous experts, along with Queta.

Thanks same here. Was able to locate a surgery in nearby larger city. First consultation is sometime
    away but will give an update.

Thanks for starting this thread this has been really helpful. I'm starting to search for a clinic that will offer Co2 laser for my early stage Rhinophyma but if anyone knows of or can recommend anywhere uk it would be really helpful. I had a 4 month course of isotretinoin last summer to no avail and have not found anything else that really helps so feeling pretty desperate