Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nose Swelling, big pores, phymous tissue--please post!

Default Metrogel

This forum, and this list in particular, is a godsend. I've a male that has suffered from this condition for years, from my teenage years, at least, and only noticeably on my nose. I'm now 39. Butter is a major trigger, and cheese, heavy cream, half and half, are all triggers. Anything dairy related, it seems. Fat free stuff doesn't do anything.

I finally decided to see a dermatologist - the first one prescribed tretinoin 0.5%, but that actually made my nose flaky and dry, and I'm not sure it reduced the swelling. Anyway, isn't that the same as Retin A but prescription strength or version?

Then another dertamologist prescribed metronizadole .75%. That worked like a miraculous charm for the first couple of weeks and then it actually worsened things: my nose got redder; the swelling had eased, but one day I ate food with butter in it by mistake and the swelling returned big time. Again, I don't know if not wearing a sunscreen when I step out, has made things worse.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Maybe I should be giving metronizadole a longer time to take effect?
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ridhus73 View Post
    This forum, and this list in particular, is a godsend. I've a male that has suffered from this condition for years, from my teenage years, at least, and only noticeably on my nose. I'm now 39. Butter is a major trigger, and cheese, heavy cream, half and half, are all triggers. Anything dairy related, it seems. Fat free stuff doesn't do anything.

I finally decided to see a dermatologist - the first one prescribed tretinoin 0.5%, but that actually made my nose flaky and dry, and I'm not sure it reduced the swelling. Anyway, isn't that the same as Retin A but prescription strength or version?

Then another dertamologist prescribed metronizadole .75%. That worked like a miraculous charm for the first couple of weeks and then it actually worsened things: my nose got redder; the swelling had eased, but one day I ate food with butter in it by mistake and the swelling returned big time. Again, I don't know if not wearing a sunscreen when I step out, has made things worse.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Maybe I should be giving metronizadole a longer time to take effect?
    I know this is mentioned here and there on the forum but I also had some swelling and was not aware of thickening of my skin. It took me months to figure this out as I was blaming the problems on mostly secondary issues. Yeast/fungus on the skin. I have don't just have one kind but several types of fungus going on my face/scalp/body.

The member - Tom Busby (see his profile for post & attachments) has some excellent posts/research/results in ref to fungus. Most are not even aware they have this on their face/body. I figured it out by see some results using different OVC antifungal creams. None were strong enough the "cure" but it takes a while to get layers and layers off your skin. Usually it's more than a topical thing and starts on the inside and shows in the skin. I'm also following a yeast type diet w/supplements to correct my gut flora. I had had taken many antibiotics in the past due to some surgeries and it took a few years for this mess to show up on my face/body. Many people have fungus/yeast for many different reasons. Metro gel also worked for me for a short time. It seems some of the fungus/bacteria gets immune to some topical and I have to keep changing to get results. I also posted on how I now make my own stronger liquid version of a type of metrogel for less than $6.00. (see my profile for this post) My doctor looked at the ingredients and agreed it was same Metronidazole as the active ingredient in the big pharma tube. I like it because it does not cause the same metrogel gunky build up which looks awful if you apply make up over the top. I My original prescription of Metrogel (non generic) cost me $80 insurance copay. I have made many bottle with better results using the DYI formula and it cost me $6 and I still have half the container left. This is just my personal opinion of things to try when the standard treatments are not working.

Default Thickening skin around nose but doctors swear it's not rhinophyma

Quote Originally Posted by Tmon912 View Post
    Hi. I've had phymous rosacea for the last two years. It really sucked at first, but now it's going better. I really wish there were more people talking about it when I got it. The information was quite sparse. Can everybody with the aforementioned symptoms please post? It would help many people, including us. I'll post a bit on what helped and hurt me and my symptoms.

Symptoms: Large pores, scar tissue bulidup around pores, swelling on and around nose, pain and numbness of nose. Not much redness, and no pimples.

What helps me: retinoids (Differin) once or twice per week, minocycline, low-dose accutane, anti-histamines (allegra and QuerCelain), diet and exercise with herbal supplements (white willow bark, boswellia), GoodSkin lotion and other thin serums, exfoliators.

What hurts me: Hyaluronic acid, glycerin, shea butter, thick creams, Epidermal Growth Factor.

As you can see it's basically the opposite of what most rosacea suffers deal with: an epidermis that's too thick, not too thin.
    That's about it for me. I'm very curious to hear what helped/hurt the rest of you.
    I am a 41 year old woman and for the past 2 years, the skin has been thickening around my nostrils. It is as if large, deep, diffuse lumps are filling in the cavities which used to define my nostrils. It is happening slowly and isn't yet noticeable to people who aren't familiar with what my nose used to look like, but it is definitely happening! I live in Germany and have seen several dermatologists, all of whom have basically blown me off. I have been told it's nothing, just normal ageing, a sebaceous cyst, sebaceous hyperplasia, and nothing again. Every time I see a different doctor they tell me something different and none of them are willing to try any medications except for the one who thought it was sebaceous hyperplasia and prescribed MetroGel. I feel like MetroGel may be preventing it from getting much worse, but it has had no minimizing effect. I was on heavy antibiotics for a broken arm for a couple of weeks and I actually felt like that helped a bit, but I was taken off those, of course.

The reactions of the doctors here tells me I have something uncommon and difficult to diagnose. I have only a touch of rosacea (some broken blood vessels on my nose) but it does run in the family. I also have somewhat enlarged pores, but, for the most part, I would say the surface of my skin looks pretty normal. Its just these deep lumps that are concerning. In certain light, my nose definitely has a lumpy appearance already and I have no reason to believe the growth is at an end.

Does any of this sound like your early phymous rosacea? I don't have any pain and the lumps don't vary in size day to day - they are just growing steadily.