Thread: What is the best first aid for an ocular rosacea flare-up?

Default What is the best first aid for an ocular rosacea flare-up?

I just got diagnosed by a dermatologist (ocular rosacea) and since I read it could affect my vision, I decided to see my friendly well thought of eye surgeon.
    Well, part of his protocol is to test your eye pressures. The numbing ointment caused an awful flare-up.
    Both eyes really ache and are red and swollen. I have a number of creams and ointments as well as antibiotic gel but I don't want to make them worse.
    This what I have:
    Desonide cream .05%
    Elidel 1%
    Erythomyicin eye ointment .05%

I tried both doxycycline and Erythomyicin pills and capsules and couldn't tolerate either.

Does anyone have any suggestions to calm my eyes down?
    Have anyone used the Erythomyicin eye ointment with any success?

Any comments would be appreciated!

Default try steroid eyedrops!

I've had ocular rosacea for 15 years without doctors knowing what it was all that time unitl i said to a specialst 'might it be rosacea of the eyes seeing as i have it on my face too?' and then they clicked on yes u do ocular rosacea! (sometimes i really do despair of the usless doctors in the UK). Anyway what works very well for me in the short term are steroid eyes drops, I have tried them for a week at a time in the past and the redness reduces alot, they become nearly white again, although not completely, i have a very bad case of ocular rosacea, nearly 24 hours a day they will be bright red and everyone I meet always comments on them and asks me if I have been crying. So the steroid drops are good, but can only be used like once in a blue moon as i think a side effect is cataracts if Im not wrong, if you use them for a long peroid of time that is. my dotors are always reluctant to pescribe them for me BUT they are the ONLY thing that work. I have tried every over the counter allergy eyedrop and antihistimine, I have tried all the pescribed drops, I am even on doxycycline at the moment and its useless, might work for skin but it won't for eyes. When the blood vessels are inflammed as much as mine are anyway, i don't think antyhing will work unless its super strong like a steroid but sadly they have their consequences eventually. go to your doctor and ask them anyhow as they do work I can garentee that, and reults remian for at least a few months.

Welleda Euphrasia eye drops help me, but I only have dry eyes that are a little bit red sometimes. That said, I would be careful if I were you with trying anything that you didn't get prescribed by your doctor.

Default Ocular rosacea

Hi, I am new to the forum, so not sure if you will read this post as its from last month. I hear your pain! I have had a similar experience with the professionals in Australia. Misdiagnosed and taken for a ride. I have less regular flare ups with diet control and stress mgt. I have had inconsistent results with meds. I am taking doxy at the moment. I also have a regime of cleansing the lids and face. I also keep house, clothes and bedding really clean. Its all a lot of work but has kept my condition at bay. All the best, Muchado

Default Steroids

Quote Originally Posted by ocular rosacea sufferer View Post
    I've had ocular rosacea for 15 years without doctors knowing what it was all that time unitl i said to a specialst 'might it be rosacea of the eyes seeing as i have it on my face too?' and then they clicked on yes u do ocular rosacea! (sometimes i really do despair of the usless doctors in the UK). Anyway what works very well for me in the short term are steroid eyes drops, I have tried them for a week at a time in the past and the redness reduces alot, they become nearly white again, although not completely, i have a very bad case of ocular rosacea, nearly 24 hours a day they will be bright red and everyone I meet always comments on them and asks me if I have been crying. So the steroid drops are good, but can only be used like once in a blue moon as i think a side effect is cataracts if Im not wrong, if you use them for a long peroid of time that is. my dotors are always reluctant to pescribe them for me BUT they are the ONLY thing that work. I have tried every over the counter allergy eyedrop and antihistimine, I have tried all the pescribed drops, I am even on doxycycline at the moment and its useless, might work for skin but it won't for eyes. When the blood vessels are inflammed as much as mine are anyway, i don't think antyhing will work unless its super strong like a steroid but sadly they have their consequences eventually. go to your doctor and ask them anyhow as they do work I can garentee that, and reults remian for at least a few months.
    I feel your pain. I too had great effects with the steroid/antibotic ointment, TobroDex----no luck with the drops. Trouble is when you stop, the episode is still there. Steroid raise eye pressure. I have glaucoma and retina issues. So I only use it for a special occaision.

However with more frequent use, steroids bring your lashes back beautifully.

I bought dermalmd rosacea serum after trying several products, including the more expensive ones. I have a little Rosacea and very dry, flaky skin. I love dermalmd serum. It soothes and moisturizes. Even though it is a night serum, I used it during the day the first week and then started using it only at night. It is a rich, so if you use it during the day and wear makeup, wait a few minutes after putting on before applying makeup.