Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing for Demodex

Default Testing for Demodex

A new paper on the treatment of rosacea had this statement:

"We also look for Demodex folliculorum infestation. When Demodex concentration is higher than 5/cm(2) we use topical crotamiton 10% or metronidazole."

It appears that with the above statement physicians may be testing for demodex density and treating for higher concentrations. This is good news. There will be more data on this as more physicians test and treat for demodex. Here is the report:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...?dopt=Abstract

Demodectic rosacea is a variant of rosacea.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

After a year of dealing with papluar rosacea, my doctor began treating me this week for Demodex mites. It's disgusting to imagine these vile beasts inhabiting your skin. But to date, nothing has relieved the bumps, and maybe this will.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
    After a year of dealing with papluar rosacea, my doctor began treating me this week for Demodex mites. It's disgusting to imagine these vile beasts inhabiting your skin. But to date, nothing has relieved the bumps, and maybe this will.
    Please keep us updated on your progress.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Who has been tested for Demodex and what were the results?
    Doug

Can you get Demodex from a dog? I have had a dog for a lot of years and she is on my bed and couch a lot.
    Doug

Has anyone tried topical Crotamiton?
    Doug

Found this article...

http://www.cosmeticlaseruniverse.com....php?ITEM=9346

...As a next step, he continues, "I always do KOH preparation just to see if I can find the Demodex mite."

Whether he finds this mite or not, Dr. Bikowski says, "I undertake an empirical trial, usually with crotamiton, used twice daily for two weeks as indicated."

If the patient's skin improves dramatically after two weeks, he says, "This probably proves that at least part, if not all, of the disease process is Demodex dermatitis."

Conversely, Dr. Bikowski says if the patient experiences partial or no response, "Then one can assume that one is dealing with either rosacea or seborrheic dermatitis, or a combination thereof."

I am going to ask my Derm if I could try Crotamiton for a few weeks
    Doug

mr smoof, please re-read the first page of this thread: http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ght=crotamiton

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmoof View Post
    Has anyone tried topical Crotamiton?
    My derm is going to let me try Eurax (Crotamiton) for 2-3 weeks to see if it helps at all. ill keep everyone updated.
    Doug

mrsmoof ~

My story is a long one, I will try to keep it short. I have been tested for demodex mites via punch biopsy from my lower back. A punch biopsy is performed with a round/circular small cookie cutter looking instrument that extracts a piece of skin for testing. Most tests consist of a skin scrape - they literally scrape your skin surface with the edge of a scalpel blade to scrape the skin cells down to the layer where the mites exist. They do a count of the mites they observe to come up with a quantitative level of mites. A small number is normal, apparently, and so they are looking for increased numbers. I do know that diagnosing demodex can be difficult because the mites can be hard to locate or the mite numbers may be low and therefore finding one is not easy. Plus, they are nocturnal, so when most people are tested during the day when the sun is out, they are happily sleeping deep inside your hair follicles and sebacious glands and not so easily found. It is my understanding that they can also pull a piece of hair at the root and see the mites on the tip of the hair, though I have not seen this done.

There are different species of demodex mites that are species/host specific. This means that for the most part, human demodex mites only infect humans, dog demodex mites only infect dogs, etc. They are only found on mammals. I was diagnosed with dog demodex mites. This is never seen, never. I am a veterinary technician, so I am exposed to dogs daily. I have 2 dogs at home. I have no idea how this happened or what it means. If your dog is not itching, I would not worry about your dog sharing the mites with you, though.

Eurax lotion is effective for human demodex. I am currently using it along with other products.