Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How I Cured Accutane Induced Rosacea

Smile How I Cured Accutane Induced Rosacea

Hey everyone,

About a year and a half ago I finished a 6 month course of low dose accutane (10mg/day at first, 20mg/day later on) which left me with severe, debilitating flushing.

I had cyclic flushing which would occur every single night from around 7 pm to 12 am for around a year post accutane. It would also occur out of this time period if evoked (warm rooms, anxiety, etc.). It was extremely debilitating and affected every waking moment of my life during that year.
    Luckily I study biomedical sciences at a Canadian university and had some knowledge about rosacea, and could recognize it pretty early on (got diagnosed 4 months post accutane). I knew I needed to do something drastic as I could already see damage occurring at the 4 month mark from repetitive flushing (broken caps, swelling, permanent redness forming) and I formed a 1 year game plan for ending the flushing and rosacea.

First, I waited 2 more months until the 6 month post accutane mark to begin V beam treatments with the AMAZING Betty Chan at the Baywood Clinic in Toronto. This is the only human being on the planet I would trust putting a laser to my face. I received 5 treatments over the following year, 3 non-pupuric and 2 that were purpuric in the areas Dr. Chan deemed appropriate (bridge of nose, right cheek). The last 2 pupuric completely eliminated all visible vascular damage on my face, and even improved skin texture and pore size by 50% or more.

I knew I needed to do something internally to stop the flushing from occurring, so the V beam could repair the damage without being aggravated by repeated flushing. I went through various medications over the following months (remeron, paxil, propranolol etc.) until I found a combo that stopped the flushing from occurring nightly and during the day. Clonidine (.025 X 3 per day) and celexa (20mg). The clonidine never did anything drastic but definitively took the edge off. Celexa at 20mg was the jackpot and helped eliminate any anxiety, warm room and nightly flushing from occuring, but only after taking it for 8 weeks (didn't do very much until the 8 week mark).

About 6 months ago I began trying topical treatments as an added boost. With a few that didn't work, I began Finacea. At first, finacea made the flushing, veins, and redness must worst. It almost looked like a rash on my face for the first month or so of use. I pushed through it because I had nothing to lose and after the 1 month mark my face became DRAMATICALLY better. Flushing was much better, redness was all but gone. If your going to try finacea please push through the first month to see if it's for you because it made me much worst as first.

Today I no longer flush. I no longer have broken capillaries. I no longer have redness. I can drink any amount of alcohol I want or run a marathon and look paler than others around me. I am finally happy.

Quote Originally Posted by OilKing View Post

Today I no longer flush. I no longer have broken capillaries. I no longer have redness. I can drink any amount of alcohol I want or run a marathon and look paler than others around me. I am finally happy.
    Glad to hear it. But did your oil problems return after the accutane?

Regards
    Snegovik

50% reduction long term

Oiling,
    Why were you onnaccutane to begin with? That is scary about that little dose and flushing. Did you ever flush before accutane? Just curious.

I had a repulsive amount of oil production on my facial skin. Every derm I saw was amazed and confused. I never flushed before accutane, only blushed easily my whole life and had sensitive skin.

Hi Oilking,

Are you still taking clonidine and celexa or are you off them ?

Thanks. Marie

Quote Originally Posted by OilKing View Post
    Hey everyone,

About 6 months ago I began trying topical treatments as an added boost. With a few that didn't work, I began Finacea. At first, finacea made the flushing, veins, and redness must worst. It almost looked like a rash on my face for the first month or so of use. I pushed through it because I had nothing to lose and after the 1 month mark my face became DRAMATICALLY better. Flushing was much better, redness was all but gone. If your going to try finacea please push through the first month to see if it's for you because it made me much worst as first.

You said keep using Finacea after a month, How long did you acutally use the Finacea for? Was this over all you face. Do you still use it.

Souris24,

I am still on both the medications. I will wean off them after a few more months of vascular rest.

redtere,

I've used finacea for about 4.5 months. I use it all over my face. I still use it.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that if I use finacea without being diluted in a moisturizer it makes my rosacea worse, but when diluted with a moisturizer it makes it much better.

Thats amazing! Good for you.

First off, Rosacea can't be cured. (Isn't this a fact, or am I wrong?) So I'm wondering if you didn't have Rosacea, but Accutane introduced redness and flushing. And that the redness and flushing introduced from accutane is not Rosacea, but just simply redness/flushing that later might turn into Rosacea. Hard to explain, but I'm just not sure redness and flushing introduced from accutane can be called Rosacea when there are people who are able to cure it. I've read about several people that have cured redness from accutane both one, two and three years after ending the treatment.

How big part do you think the Vbeam's played? Is it possible to cure it just with Vbeam?

Your flushings, where they constant burning for hours, or just short flushes for like 10-20 seconds a time?
    Do you have an opinion on whats best for diffuse redness and flushing, purpuric or non purpuric Vbeams? Also do you think its necessarily to provoke a flush right before the treatments?

Last question! Do you work out? If so, how much and do you think it worsen the redness/flushing issue? Also how long after Vbeams can you start working out again?

You must feel so good lol Being through that **** must really make you appreciate life, hopefully I can say the same soon. Cured lol Sounds nice.

Best of luck and Congrats!
    Last edited by jegergud; 29th December 2011 at 02:12 AM.

I think it is agreeable that rosacea is a pretty undefined termed. In fact, the only clear diagnostic criteria is a doctor saying "you have rosacea". There's no tests or anything. So in that sense, it was very much rosacea as it was officially diagnoses by a derm. Also, there are various sub forms of rosacea, and accutane as well as steroid induced rosacea are known to go into permanent remission.

V beam is the main culprit in helping, because it destroyed the over active vascular system in my face thus letting the medication and creams do there job.

The flushing was for multiple hours. I wouldn't consider 10-20 second a diagnostic criteria for a "flush" - the time period is what differentiates flushing from blushing and that short time would be a blush.

I am an avid weightlifter. I take 3-4 days off and for the next week back at the gym I am more cautious about flushing than usual.