Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Vitamin D create more of the cathelicidins that cause rosacea?

Default Does Vitamin D create more of the cathelicidins that cause rosacea?

Almost everybody is low in vitamin d, and that fact is of special concern to those of us who don't go into the sun much, or who do so with tons of sunblock. I've been reading every study I could find on rosacea and the one that seems the most promising as far as determining the cause is this one: http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/newsrel/hea...RosaceaDK-.asp

The cause seems to be cathelicidin and SCTE in quantities that are too high, which leads to some beast molecule that causes rosacea symptoms, including response to triggers. Blocking histamine, cytokines, and prostaglandins seems to be nothing more than catching the beasts little friends after he lets them out of their cells. Having said that, I read on the net many, many accounts of cathelicidin being INCREASED when taking D3. Is that the same cathelicidin that we already have too much of? I took vitamin D liquid for a while and it definitely didn't help me. It's hard to tell if it hurt, though, given all the other variables.

Anybody else notice vitamin D3 making their rosacea worse? Anybody know if the cathelicidins that cause rosacea are the same ones raised by D3? Thanks in advance for the response.

Default I'm gonna contact the researcher

I found this article while browsing around.

http://www.medinewsdirect.com/?p=594

It states that cathelicidin is also suspected to be involved in other skin disorders. If D3 can regulate (push up or down depending on quantity) cathelicidin as is implied in this and other articles, then maybe it can do so for rosacea in the proper doses.

It's from the same researchers at UCSD. My brothers went there and I'm gonna transfer there soon, so maybe the guy will respond if I email him (or maybe I'll find him in person). It's worth a try. I'll post the results.

Default Response from the lab

I did actually get a short response from the lab. I'm not gonna copy and paste it here or devulge the exact person who responded for privacy reasons. To paraphrase the person: "alternatives to SCTE regulation are being looked at" and "the work is going slow but steady". That's great news! I'm glad they're still working on it, but no real answer as to the role of vitamin D in regulating cathelididins in rosacea.

Have you had your Vit D levels tested?
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Bokkie View Post
    Have you had your Vit D levels tested?
    Hi, Bokkie.
    Oh ya, I had this test (I forget the name) that my naturalist, who's also an MD, gave me. The only level that was low was vitamin D. So I figured that taking it would be good...but I worry about the effect on cathelicidin. I emailed the UCSD researchers a week ago and they said that they're working on ways to lower cathelicidin, so I don't want to raise it. I heard that finacea can lower it and they're doing a trail with this mix: 25% Aminocaproic Acid mixed into Vanicream. See the link below for more. Maybe I'll just take a drop on the days where I don't get any sun....I don't know. This disease is so frustrating! Or maybe I'll mix my own cream hehehehe Anybody have results either way with vitamin D?

http://www.clinicalconnection.com/ex...1&slID=2054314

I had a full blood work done recently, and all is fine, except my D, which is only 21 ng/mL.
    Homeopath said a while back that I have a leaky gut, and now I see Vit D deficiency is also linked to bad digestion.

So my Endocronologist started me on 50000 iu Vit D3 once a week. Which Ive taken last week Monday and this week Monday. In total for 5 months.
    Will see how this progresses.

I hate this situation Im in...
    To much info, not enough facts...
    Sigh....
    Cindy

Much more than 2,000 IU/day of D3 and I get very gradually worse. It's so slow that it's almost unnoticeable. However, 1,000-2,000 IU and careful trigger avoidance works wonders. For me, anyway.

50mg zinc
    50mg magnesium
    25mg diphenhydramine HCI
    Drink filtered/bottled water only, wash with tepid water/moisturizing soap, Rosacea Care moisturizer, tinted ZincO
    I avoid multi-vitamins and most other high-dose vitamins and supplements, oil-based supplements (like omega 3/6, A, and E), nitrite preservatives, sugar, fruit, milk, alcohol, caffeine, exercising in a warm room

Less is more!

Hi, I read your thread and am doing some research, thought this might be of interest http://www.cpnhelp.org/cathelicidins_and_their_i Needless to say I just bouth quercetin (havent started using it yet) also just bout arnica and I think I will up my dose of tumeric! Let me know what you think

and I think i will lower my vitamiin D intake or quit taking it all together, my blood test about 6 months ago showed I was not deficient in vitamin D it was 39, but I have been taking 3-4000 mg per day for about 4 months now and maybe this is why I each time I go in for IPL to get the red veins removed they keep coming back after about 4-5 weeks, the doctor was saying the only reason they keep coming back is because soomething is continuing to cause them to come back IE: hot showers, scrubbing face, being in the sun, ect... none of which I do..

I had my vit D level tested and went from 25 to around 38 and noticed no difference in redness. For those taking a supplement, vit D can rise pretty quickly so be sure to test now and then to make sure you don't over supplement.