Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Is IPL right for my rosacea?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    195

    Default Is IPL right for my rosacea?

    Hi I have been diagnosed with Rosacea by a dermatologist and was just wondering if IPL treatment would benefit my rosacea at all - I suffer from permanent redness on my cheeks, which then flares up and flushes with trriggers such as intense exercise, extreme changes in temperature, wind and extreme changes in temperature. I do NOT have any visible broken veins.

    Will IPL benefit any of the above? From what I have read it could benefit the permanent redness that I experience but possibly not the flushing, is this correct?


    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roasceaclearwannabe View Post
    Hi I have been diagnosed with Rosacea by a dermatologist and was just wondering if IPL treatment would benefit my rosacea at all - I suffer from permanent redness on my cheeks, which then flares up and flushes with trriggers such as intense exercise, extreme changes in temperature, wind and extreme changes in temperature. I do NOT have any visible broken veins.

    Will IPL benefit any of the above? From what I have read it could benefit the permanent redness that I experience but possibly not the flushing, is this correct?


    Thanks in advance!

    IPL will help both your redness and flushing. IPL is probably better for flushing and V-beam is probably better for permanent redness. Also i have read/heard that the Gemini Nd:Yag 1064 is especially good for flushing.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Thanks for the reply!

    I noticed everytime I look up IPL it has thread veins listed as something that benefits from the treatment. I do NOT have thread veins and consequently they do not make my rosacea worse, will my rosacea still benefit from IPL? Sorry to be going on about it but I just want to get my facts straight before I go to the dermatologist in a couple of weeks!

    Also how many treatments a year on average should I expect to have to maintain the effects?


    Thanks

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roasceaclearwannabe View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

    I noticed everytime I look up IPL it has thread veins listed as something that benefits from the treatment. I do NOT have thread veins and consequently they do not make my rosacea worse, will my rosacea still benefit from IPL? Sorry to be going on about it but I just want to get my facts straight before I go to the dermatologist in a couple of weeks!

    Also how many treatments a year on average should I expect to have to maintain the effects?


    Thanks

    Yes, your rosacea should benefit from IPL. Just make sure the Derm is experienced and has a good IPL machine. Everyone is different, but it could be anywhere from 3-6 or 12 months for maintenance treatments. I have read that the effects of the Gemini Nd:Yag 1064 last much longer than IPL and V-beam.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Hi sorry to dig up this thread again but I thought it would be better than starting a new one!?

    I am highly considering attending Dr Crouch's medical centre to get treatment for my rosacea using lasers/light therapy.

    There seems to be a lot of hapy customers from Dr Crouch, however I keep reading about seb derm being a possible side effect from treatment, how common and severe is this?

    Also do I need to be concerned that Dr Crouch isn't a dermatologist, I don't mean it in a disrespectful way because I know he is very knowledgable in skin treatment however thought I would just ask?

    Lastly does IPL/laser treatment help to reuce the severity of flushing from embarassing situations and strenuous exercise or are these just natural flushings that can't really be controlled?


    Thanks in advance!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Dr Crouch will be able to minimise the risk of seb derm when treating you.

    The secondary nervous system plays a role in the flushing you describe, there are medications which can help reduce this,
    however IPL helps to eliminate some of the excess damaged blood vessels we rosaceans have, that should reduce the level of flushing!

    Regarding your comment about dermatologists, I would not worry about this, most derms are not experts on rosacea, as it is a complex vascular problem, and not a "true" skin disease, Dr C is an expert on using IPL and laser to treat rsacea, and that is what you are looking for.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Thanks so much for the reply!

    Is seb derm mostly a temporary side effect? What are the other side effects most commonly associated with IPL/laser treatment?

    What sort of improvements can I expect to see from laser/light treatment in relation to the permanent redness to my cheeks and burning/flushing in this area also? I have asked these questions to the medical centre where Dr Crouch works however they have stated the side effects and potential results can not be discussed until the initial consultation, which is understandable I suppose from their prospective.


    Thanks in advance...again!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Hi,

    I have been researching IPL treatments on the internet and have discovered that IPL is used for hair removal, my rosacea is present on my cheeks and chin, will having IPL done on these areas stop any beard/hair growing in them places or is the IPL machine set at a different setting for each treatment?

    Thanks again

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    808

    Default

    I think, given that you don't have any visible broken blood vessels and your rosacea seems to be at a relatively early stage, you might want to consider medications such as clonidine first before going down the IPL route. I think in your position you might find a lot of relief from the flushing, and more quickly, with just the anti-flushing medications.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    I think, given that you don't have any visible broken blood vessels and your rosacea seems to be at a relatively early stage, you might want to consider medications such as clonidine first before going down the IPL route. I think in your position you might find a lot of relief from the flushing, and more quickly, with just the anti-flushing medications.
    Hi I have really thought long and hard about taking medication to control my flushing however I feel that with the types of medications that control the flushing, such as beta blockers, anxiety medication and ADHD medication really carry some worrying side effects. However don't get me wrong I am not oblivious to the possible side effects from laser and light treatment. It really is one of them situations I feel that you have to do what is best for an individual and as I have suffered from the condition since I was approximately 12 years old, I am now 23 years old and I have seen an improvement in the permanant redness however the severity and triggering factors have not reduced.

    The only medication I have tried to control the condition was antibiotics and minocycline, both of which had no effect, unfortunately.

    I am going to try laser and light therapy and if I see no improvements with the treatment I may consider medication to control the condition.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •