Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rhinophyma

Default rhinophyma

Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

not sure this is something we really need to see

Hello Melissa

I agree with you because we all know what advanced rhinophyma looks like and if deemed necessary to show people on here, then just the link itself would have been adequate in my opinion. Fortunately rhinophyma is rare and if people are receiving treatment for their rosacea then they shouldn't really worry about developing it.

Thanks

Peter

Poor man, thats the worst i've ever seen.

Yes, I think we ought to see photos such as that, as long as the person in the photo is consenting. It can remind us all that things could be much worse

Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mattamx View Post
    Yes, I think we ought to see photos such as that, as long as the person in the photo is consenting. It can remind us all that things could be much worse

Good point Matt.

Rob

Default BS

agree with you because we all know what advanced rhinophyma looks like and if deemed necessary to show people on here, then just the link itself would have been adequate in my opinion. Fortunately rhinophyma is rare and if people are receiving treatment for their rosacea then they shouldn't really worry about developing it.

=============================

I cannot tell you how offensive your statement "if people aare receiving treatment..." is. I have dealt with rosacea since my 20's and now I am 50. In the last 2 years the rhinophyma has just taken off....not quite as bad as in the picture, but close enough for discomfort. My case is quite assymetric with a protrusion which extends down to my upper lip. I have tried almost every treatment under the sun for years with no success. I have good periods, I have bad periods, but what I am going through now has NOTHING to do with not paying attention to it. **** happens.

I just came back from a plastic surgeon who does not use lasers...I only got two names in my city of 300,000 for such treatment (the immediate area is 1.3 Million). Yes, I guess it will help, but I still have to fight with the insurance company for 1 to 3 months to get it paid for. No guarrantees for the surgery either. I asked the surgeon how many cases like mine he has done, and he said 10 cases like mine or worse over the past 20 years.

I was hoping there might be a place here where I might find someone who has had such surgery and knows the good points and bad points for such a procedure. What is the difference between using a hot knife, vs laser surgery? I have no idea. Any pointers to a good discussion of the various options, or better yet pointers to surgeons who do a lot of these surgeries would be most appreciated.

I am sorry to be upset, but your comment hit me absolutely the wrong way.

Thumbs down

What was the point in posting that? It is of zero scientific value since that information is readily available in such basic sources as the Wikipedia entry on rosacea (of dubious value but I digress) so was this intended to serve as a stern reminder or scare tactic because frankly I don't see that being the point of this forum.

Ferntoprof

The comment you are referring to was, I am sure, in no way meant to offend. The point being made was that for most people rhinophyma wont occur.

As for finding info/discussion it might be hard to find as it is not a subject that comes up all that often.

I will see what I can come up with for you.

Regards

Sarah