Thread: Seborrheic Dermatitis - What Helps You

Default Seborrheic Dermatitis - What Helps You?

Ok, i want to keep this thread concise and to the point. Just describe your skin type ie. oily, red, dry, combination, flaky, large pores, bumps, scaly, pimples, etc. Also add what has been the most helpful to you as of NOW. Out of all the various treatments list your favorites and rate them but try to keep it short please. Post a pic if you have one if not that's ok. The more people who post the better, only post twice if you have too, i'd like to keep it easy to read through. I'll start

Skin Type - red, oily, scaly, flakes, few spots or pimples, large pores, flushes

Favorite Treatments
    - milk of magnesia masks -daily (for me 30mins is good). It helps with oil, isn't irritating, helps a bit. 5/10
    - accutane (10mg daily) -works great but only while you're on it plus it has negative long term side effects. 7/10
    - candida diet -for me that included zero carbs (no grains, or fruit) also low fat. It's supposedly not suitable long term and hard. Helped with oil, redness, flushing. 6/10

That's it. Yes i've had short lived success with other things but tell me about what you would recommend as of today. If you posted about something else that has turned out to fail please post in here too. There is so much information out there with people claiming to have cured their skin or got it under control only to see that treatment fail. So again post your skin type and favorite treatment and also a photo if you have one.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by johny; 29th August 2011 at 03:50 AM.

My skin looks just like the pic johnny posted.

Skin Type - red, dry, flakes, few spots or pimples, large pores, flushes, plugged pores.

Favorite Treatments
    - laser
    - I take lecethin, Pharmax fish oil, and coconut oil daily to help with the dry skin from the inside out.
    - I use Miessence all natural products (cleaners, face lotion) from Australia that I just discovered. No irritation AT ALL. Worth every penny for me. I also put coconut oil on my face.
    - I cut out dairy and gluten entirely. My diet is greatly restricted if I stick with it, my skin improves a lot. I also am very suspicious that I have Candida and am tempted to follow that diet. Stopping the dairy and gluten has helped with ferocious flushing and burning. I went off all antibiotics and am trying a natural approach.

I've been on Accutane five times over the years (horrible depression). Back in the day it was mildly helpful for acne but always returned and I think it brought on my rosacea. I've been on Oracea for at least three years and this year I quit. It wasn't working and never worked well when it did work. Laser has been helpful and my derm's idea of "peeling" has been helpful with the pore plugs/Keratosis Pilaris. I really believe diet has a TON to do with my face problems. My Dad had KP and he's and MD. His disappeared after about 20 years. !
    Maude

Quote Originally Posted by maude View Post
    My skin looks just like the pic johnny posted.

Skin Type - red, dry, flakes, few spots or pimples, large pores, flushes, plugged pores.

Favorite Treatments
    - laser
    - I take lecethin, Pharmax fish oil, and coconut oil daily to help with the dry skin from the inside out.
    - I use Miessence all natural products (cleaners, face lotion) from Australia that I just discovered. No irritation AT ALL. Worth every penny for me. I also put coconut oil on my face.
    - I cut out dairy and gluten entirely. My diet is greatly restricted if I stick with it, my skin improves a lot. I also am very suspicious that I have Candida and am tempted to follow that diet. Stopping the dairy and gluten has helped with ferocious flushing and burning. I went off all antibiotics and am trying a natural approach.

I've been on Accutane five times over the years (horrible depression). Back in the day it was mildly helpful for acne but always returned and I think it brought on my rosacea. I've been on Oracea for at least three years and this year I quit. It wasn't working and never worked well when it did work. Laser has been helpful and my derm's idea of "peeling" has been helpful with the pore plugs/Keratosis Pilaris. I really believe diet has a TON to do with my face problems. My Dad had KP and he's and MD. His disappeared after about 20 years. !
    what does your diet consist of exactly

Hey Maude, i definitely agree with the diet helping and being a big issue. I also like taking fish oil but do so mostly for dry eyes. It's interesting that you say your skin is dry though? For me i always believed that oil was a big culprit, but i know a lot of people on here have seb derm with drier skin. Yeah, antibiotics suck and for me they did nothing as well for even acne back in the day.

You think those plugs that i have and yourself are actually keratosis pilaris? did accutane help with your plugs?

My flakes are in my skin as scales per say whereas from what i see kp is on the surface, also my skin is over the top oily. I've always had some improvement in my flakes at least temporarily by most typical seb derm treatments but they almost all cause irritation which i believe is a big factor in them ultimately always failing.

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    Hey Maude, i definitely agree with the diet helping and being a big issue. I also like taking fish oil but do so mostly for dry eyes. It's interesting that you say your skin is dry though? For me i always believed that oil was a big culprit, but i know a lot of people on here have seb derm with drier skin. Yeah, antibiotics suck and for me they did nothing as well for even acne back in the day.

You think those plugs that i have and yourself are actually keratosis pilaris? did accutane help with your plugs?

My flakes are in my skin as scales per say whereas from what i see kp is on the surface, also my skin is over the top oily. I've always had some improvement in my flakes at least temporarily by most typical seb derm treatments but they almost all cause irritation which i believe is a big factor in them ultimately always failing.
    johnny did you start getting these plugs after antibiotics, or prior?

Quote Originally Posted by tests View Post
    johnny did you start getting these plugs after antibiotics, or prior?
    No idea to be honest? i know i did have seb derm behind the ear for a short period of time before but it went away on its own when i was probably in the 5th grade or so. I didn't know at the time it was seb derm and just ignored it.

Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    No idea to be honest? i know i did have seb derm behind the ear for a short period of time before but it went away on its own when i was probably in the 5th grade or so. I didn't know at the time it was seb derm and just ignored it.
    i ask because i believe antibiotics are the reason for these plugs

^i know. Check out my response in the clogged pores due to seb derm?? thread for what you can do about it now. I'm sure antibiotics could be the cause but i can't say whether they are or not. My skin was red, oily, with whiteheads, and small pimples before i ever took antibiotics. Whether i had the flaking back then i cant say for sure.

I've got some more photos i'm gonna post them in 'My Seb Derm Photos' thread and elsewhere so check them out.