Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Low dose" Accutane (Isotretinoin) for seb derm/rosacea

Default "Low dose" Accutane (Isotretinoin) for seb derm/rosacea

Hi, I've been having some moderate success with low dose isotretinoin so far and wanted to start a log and hopefully provide some support to anyone who decides to go down the same avenue. I started the course on the 25th of July and lasted about a week before my seb derm went crazy, I started peeling and flaking in places I never usually have the flaking and my scalp went crazy like some kind of psoriasis. I stopped taking the stuff for about a week and things calmed down a bit but I was still very dry as the stuff had already built up in my system and I realized that I was committed to the therapy so decided to get back on and have been taking the 20mg per day as the dermatologist ordered. I don't feel that this is a particularly low dose but I'm sticking with it as the dermo is willing to discuss lowering the dosage when I see him in a couple of weeks. Originally we were going to go up to 40mg per day to treat the back acne I also have which worries me to no end. I'm sitting here at work right now with a face full of flakes... but it has reduced redness and flushing a lot... the back acne is also improving a lot.

So basically if you are trying this things get worse before they get better so try not to be discouraged like I was. I'm still going through the worse stage and praying things do in fact get better.

Week 1: (25th of July to the 31st of July) 20mg per day, increase in oil and bad seb derm flare. Scalp dandruff
    Week 2 - 3: didn't take the isotretinoin from the 1st until the 10th.
    Week 4: Back on 20mg per day, redness decreasing and NO scalp dandruff even without shampooing. Face is a flakey mess however. Skin and Lips are dry and flakey. I moisturize but it doesn't last long and I'm worried to put moisturiser on my face as it could create the warm moist environment to sustain the yeast. Does anyone have any feedback to whether or not I should be moisturizing on accutane for seb derm? Does the flakeyness subside? It looks like I have tinea on my face...

I will keep updating and hopefully have some better news to report soon. From what I have heard things get worse before they get better so I'm remaining positive. Please let me know if you have any queries and I'll be more than happy to answer any questions.

Default 20th August 2011

Having a bad day today... Used some born to be mild cleanser and a zinc pyrithione moisturiser and my skin was stinging all night and have woken up with a dry, tight feeling red face. FML.... It's the weekend and I'll be staying in.

Hey man,

I'm seeing my doctor in a week, and I am really up for a try with accutane.

I have a pretty bad case of rosacea/seb. derm. and have been trying Tetralysal for about 4 months now. About 2-3 weeks ago I started seeing a great improvement, I had a meeting with my doctor, and we agreed that I wouldn't take Tetralysal for a while to see how it turned out. After about 10 days (a week ago) it quickly went worse again.

So now I'm back on Tetralysal at the moment, but I haven't reached the same effect as before I stopped taking it.
    After 4 months on Tetralysal and still not being rid of this ****, I'm ready to give Accutane a go.

I just wanted to say thanks for the info, and keep us updated! Wish you the best of luck!

Chris

Default Week 5

No worries man, I remain hopefull that this is a good sollution for us. If anything to give our skin a break from having to put crap on it and maybe getting our skins natural function back in check. Re-stabilise oil production etc. I do believe that it will be important to eat even better and get more exercise, sweating etc... drinking tonnes of water, lemon juice, garlic and coconut oil supplements as well to get the immune system functioning better so our bodies are ready, especially when we finish the course. Jut remember it tends to get worse before it gets better but you already knew that with every other treatment.

So Anyhoo, Week 5: 40mg per day

So I'm up to 40mg per day...derm wanted me to up the doseage and at least try it for a while. I have given up a bit with moisturising and I'm just letting my face be dry and flaky. In some areas it seems oily still and then on my chin and brow area it's more flakey than it has ever been in my life. It seems to be clearing the rash on either side of my nose and cheeks but I am red and was asked if I was sunburned on the weekend all day at work yesterday. I am also happy to report that I don't have much of a dandruff problem at the momment even without using shampoo much. I have cut my hair extremely short however which always helps. So in Summary, still not in the best shape but possibly starting to see improvements, have given up on the moisturiser and am just using lip balm. I'll moisturise if i have somewhere important to go... apart from work but I just don't care any more.

I have my blood tests this weekend and an appointment with the dermo the following friday where we'll discuss dosage, continuation and whatever else $200 will get me.

Default Week 6 still, 40mg per day.

Hey, I'm very pleased to say that this seems to be starting to work. The craziest thing is that it seems to have cured my dandruff. A little itch but no noticeable flakes. The redness on my cheeks around my nose seems to be going down as well. My back acne is just about clear... I mean it is still early days and my seb derm areas feel weird... Like kind of powdery and a bit greezy but less red and not as flakey. My chin and lips on the other hand are flakier than ever although that seems to be subsiding. I found the right moisturiser finally, cetaphill cream... But I only use it on my chin or before I have to do something outdoorsie and I need to apply sunscreen.. I know that 40mg a day is high for seb derm/ rosacea but I don't seem to be flushing too often... Yet... I see my derm on Friday to see if I can continue after the bloodwork I had on the weekend. He seems pretty open minded about dosing so if I get the bad flushing it should be cool to lower the dose. If things continue to improve to a point where its in almost 100 % remission I'd want to maintain a low dose for as long as possible

Default long-term accutane

I've heard of people staying on 2.5mg Accutane per day for years. Then again, that's in Europe. The half-life of Accutane is a couple of days and the liver likes to live in peace so you would probably have to take a couple of months off every year, but I think it's something that can be done. Good luck and keep us posted!

Arrgh this is such a rollercoaster... Skin terrible today, had a lot of peeling last night after a shower and had to moisturise. I'm now very red. Have my dermo appointment on Friday so that should be interesting. If accutane is not for me does your skin recover from it or does it remain changed? Well I have a week off work next week and will be able to hide away a bit and avoid the sun and moisturizers etc so hopefully more improvement next week

Jim, I experienced the same. It got better, and after a while the peeling ended, and so did redness. I have not seen any negative permanent changes in my skin after ending low dose accutane courses, but I have never tried a high dose.
    To me 40mg a day seem to be a rather high dose when you have rosacea, and I have never taken more than 20mg a day for short periods. 5mg a day is what I prefer. If you are peeling a bit, and redness appear behind the skin flaking off, I would not worry to much. In a day or two it is probably gone. But if you start to feel strong flushing, and blood vessels become more visible, I would slow down on accutane and find a dosage you can take without triggering flushing.

Just my personal opinion.

Regards
    Snegovik

Oh ok, thanks so much that's encouraging. I will talk to the derm tomorrow about dosage. So do you have rosacea and seb derm? How many months into your treatments did you start to see improvement and did the peeling and redness subside while you were on accutane or once you finished your course? Maybe low dose is the way to go. Cheers

I have both seb derm and rosacea, yes. I think I saw improvement after a couple of weeks already, but then had some set backs. At the end of the course I remember I got a bit worse, but then cleared up more than ever a couple of weeks after I stopped. It stayed so for 2-3 months, and then slowly came back. Maybe not as bad as before the treatment, but enough to bother me. This peeling and flaking could come and go during the treatment, but it was less and less. And it all went away after I stopped.
    Not all doctors seem to acknowledge that accutane, in high doses especially, can cause flushing and worsening of rosacea symptoms. It might be worth to keep an eye open. If facial rosacea and seb derm is what you are treating, and not acne, a low dose may be just as beneficial.

Regards
    Snegovik