Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does rosacea ever go away on its own?

Question Does rosacea ever go away on its own?

Hi everyone, I am new, this is my first post.

I was diagnosed by a dermatologist as having rosacea when I was 35. I am now 53 so have had it for a long time. There was never any question that what I had was rosacea. I had classic symptoms: flushing on cheeks and nose, and pustules and even optic rosacea (horrible thing, that). I went through the usual medications like Metrocream/gel and the odd antibiotic when it got really bad. I managed to keep it at bay as long as I avoided all my triggers: sun, wine, yogurt, raisins, excessive heat, etc. But there was still some damage to my skin, like the red lines and some scarring, and uneven skin.

So, about a year and a half ago I was reading online about a study being done on oxymetazoline. I found some in a nasal spray here in Canada (Shoppers Drug Mart Lifebrand long-acting nasal spray) and I started using it religiously, twice a day, for at least a year. To counteract the dryness I also used this cream called Cliniderm Soothing Cream. This really helped eliminate the redness. About 6 months ago I ran out of a bottle and kept forgetting to pick up another one (you know how you get complacent when things are going well? Yeah, that's me). Anyway, I suddenly realized that my face wasn't flushing or breaking out anymore, even tho' I had stopped the oxymetazoline?!

Now, 6 months later, I am doing whatever the heck I want and still no rosacea! I have even been purposely using triggers to see if I can get it to flare up, but nothing! I've been out in the sun for hours on end with no sunscreen (I know, I know, that's bad for a whole lot of reasons), drinking wine, eating raisins, etc...... and no rosacea flare up.

The only other thing I can think that may have contributed to this is that I had an ulcer about 4 months ago and the doc put me on the triple cocktail HP Pak, which is two super-strong antibiotics and an antacid. But that was months ago and I appear to have beaten the rosacea. I still have those little red blood lines tho'.

I don't want to get too excited because it could always rear its ugly head again, but for now I'm loving the sun, the wine and normal skin!

Anyone else had rosacea clear up? Permanently?

Oh yeah, one more thing.... I have been having hot flashes from menopause, which i would have expected to really flare up the rosacea, but nothing.

Wow that is great! glad to hear you are doing so well :0) I am wondering what the ingredients are in the cream that you were using and if that may have had something to do with it? (just a thought)
    And i also have those little red veins too... I HATE them!

amethystice215,
    The ingredients in the cream are: aqua, petrolatum, cetearyl alcohol, cetereath-20, sorbitol, propylene glycol, simethicone, glyceryl monostearate, polyethylene glycol monostearate, sorbic acid, butylated hydroxytoluene.
    I'm almost certain some of that is not good for rosacea, but it didn't bother my skin.

RedwithEnvy,
    Yes, I guess I should just be thankful for the reprieve from this horrible skin problem, and enjoy it while it lasts!

Wow, that's great news. So this cream, together with the oxymetazoline, did not only get rid of the redness but also of the bumps?

Quote Originally Posted by Angela1979 View Post
    Wow, that's great news. So this cream, together with the oxymetazoline, did not only get rid of the redness but also of the bumps?
    Yes, the bumps are gone. The only problem I still have are those little red veins but I'm guessing I'll need some kind of medical (invasive) treatment for those. The redness, bumps, pustules have disappeared. I spent 6 hours in direct sun today and had raspberry yogurt for dessert tonight..... face is fine. I have no explanation other than the cliniderm and oxymetazoline.

I heard about this as somebody recommend that I do the same. I asked Dr Chu about it and he did not recomend because of rebound flushing but I see that you have not experienced that. It sounds too good to be true but I am very tempted to try it.
    I'm really pleased that your rosacea has now cleared.
    Lou

Hmm... I must say, I am tempted to give it a try...

works for awhile then stops being effective

Quote Originally Posted by shampoo View Post
    works for awhile then stops being effective
    Shampoo, do you know anything about the rebound or when it stops? I haven't used ANYTHING on my face for about 6 months now. I stopped using both the oxymetazoline and the Cliniderm 6 months ago and my rosacea is gone. I will certainly update this thread if it comes back.

i didn't really have too much of a rebound... it just stopped working after awhile, maybe three months. i remember the first few times trying it i was nearly rosacea-free for a few hours, it was wondrful but unfortunately didn't last