Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Xylitol better than sugar?

Quote Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
    Might want to look into how much meat you're actually eating. Chicken contains loads of nicotinic acid which is universally known to cause facial flushing in even non-rosaceans. http://www.doctoryourself.com/niacin.html Fish isn't that far behind. All meat, poultry and fish, certain nuts to some extent, and even grains like brown rice all contain varying but high amounts of nicotinic acid. Some sources say the average amount people can tolerate without flushing is about 50 mg. After that, you can pretty much guarantee a flush. It basically has to do with what you need. If you're consuming more than the body uses, you're over-saturated and you will flush. Sometimes it's delayed, sometimes it's immediate. Sometimes only the face is affected, sometimes the neck, chest, or back could be affected as well. Everyone's different in the way they respond.

Not saying this is the case, but that was the case with me. I ate loads of meat. My permanent redness went down for a while and then all of a sudden I started flushing like I've never flushed before. I would be at work eating my lunch of chicken pieces and go back to work with my face literally beet red. I was convinced I was allergic to something in the lunchroom and so talked with my manager about it and he said he noticed my face but didn't mention it. After doing the research, I traced my flushing episodes to starting a few days after doubling my meat intake, since it took a couple of days for my body to reach saturation levels and then every day I would go over that by leaps and bounds and, sure enough, flush every day.

You can look here http://nutritiondata.self.com/ to calculate how much niacin (B3) you are consuming daily. Just type in the food you want to look up and estimate or weigh the amount you usually eat daily. Total that, and if you're eating over 50 mg daily you're probably quite over-saturated.
    Christine,

I rarely flush, no more than the general population. I appreciate you pointing out about niacin causing flushing. It is just about on every rosacea trigger list. But I simply don't flush or blush any more than the average person. When I was on antibiotics I used to flush way more, but now that I control my rosacea with diet and the ZZ cream I just don't worry about flushing any more.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Brady: Just stating my personal case and maybe something for flemmo to look into as they stated they eat 'lots of chicken'. In my case, bumping up my meat intake brought on niacin-flushing.

I'm not suggesting flemmo ditch the meat, and certainly not suggesting they go back to a high-carb diet, but perhaps try replacing some of the meat with protein and fat-rich foods that don't contain as much niacin as meat does. Say, certain nuts and seeds with low niacin content or eat fattier cuts of meat as niacin is only present in muscle tissue and not fat. Who knows, it might bring relief if their body is oversaturated with niacin like mine was (and I still have difficulty with it and have to monitor my meat intake carefully).
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

Hi folks,
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I stuck with the rosacea diet strictly for 2 years. My biggest problem was weight loss. I'm thin anyway but with so few carbs I became very underweight.

My diet is still quiet strict. No sugar, only natural fresh ingredients, no dairy/wheat/gluten (seb derm). I steam my veggies and have them with the meat or fish. I mainly snack on pumpkin seeds. I can just about keep some weight on with this diet.

For me, the flushing is mainly brought on by time of day and room temperature. If the room is no more than 23 degrees c, then I'm usually okay. But late afternoon the flush kicks in without fail. With or without food. As time goes on the flush is getting earlier in the day

The only thing that causes me to flush is stress and anxiety, if im calmed and relaxed i can eat or drink pretty much anything without it making me flush, even wine etc

I can be outside in 95 degree weather in straight sunlight as long as im not stressed out

Work is quite stressful for me and usually quite hot

Is there such a thing as a mint sweetened with Stevia. I'm in the UK which never helps lol.

As far as what I believe, flushing has to do with how much base inflammation one has to begin with. As I started to combat my rosacea with diet, I found I was flushing less and not flushing at things that I used to flush to before (hot showers, etc). The time-dependent flushes always baffled me. Like, the body itself doesn't intrinsically know it's 4 pm, so what is causing the flushing at that time every day? Either the brain's neural system is malfunctioning and as one is consciously aware that it is the afternoon and anticipates the flush, the brain will respond with one, or it has to do with people's habits that happen to bring on the flush every day. Maybe there's some other explanation, but at this point the reasoning escapes me.
    Current skincare regime for rosacea subtypes I, II and IV started March, 2012:

*Strict diet. No dairy, wheat, sugar, nuts/seeds, legumes. Only meat, 'safe starches', and low-phenol starchy/unstarchy fruits and veggies and water with ghee, lard and duck fat as cooking aids and sources of fat. Also avoiding food intolerances.
    Supplementing with raw food multivitamin, liquid zinc sulfate with copper, epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), calcium and vitamin C. Lots of water!

The body's temperature increases as the day goes on an peaks between 4pm and 8pm which might explain it. Also the blood is stickier in the morning. These two factors might explain why the morning is usually flush-free for me?

Quote Originally Posted by flemmo View Post
    The body's temperature increases as the day goes on an peaks between 4pm and 8pm which might explain it. Also the blood is stickier in the morning. These two factors might explain why the morning is usually flush-free for me?
    The flush freedom of the morning has a lot to do with the anti-stress hormone cortisol. It's released during the night (or maybe at dawn. My adrenals would awaken me at around 2 a.m. and then around 6. Yes, I am very, very sensitive to my inner workings. I do get funny looks from the docs. Maybe I just have words for my experiences and other patients do not, so these natural occurrences do not make it into doc text books). Cortisol clears up the red temporarily.
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
    Brady: Just stating my personal case and maybe something for flemmo to look into as they stated they eat 'lots of chicken'. In my case, bumping up my meat intake brought on niacin-flushing.

I'm not suggesting flemmo ditch the meat, and certainly not suggesting they go back to a high-carb diet, but perhaps try replacing some of the meat with protein and fat-rich foods that don't contain as much niacin as meat does. Say, certain nuts and seeds with low niacin content or eat fattier cuts of meat as niacin is only present in muscle tissue and not fat. Who knows, it might bring relief if their body is oversaturated with niacin like mine was (and I still have difficulty with it and have to monitor my meat intake carefully).
    The other factor about flushing is hormones and it might not be the niacin at all. It would take a scientific clinical study to figure out what is causing the flushing. Wish Dr. House and his team could figure it out, huh?

Do you think that females tend to flush more than males in the general population?
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by flemmo View Post
    Is there such a thing as a mint sweetened with Stevia. I'm in the UK which never helps lol.
    I don't think Stevia comes in mint flavor. Just add a leaf of mint.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi